Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep food lists

Default Sheep food lists

Looking over the gear lists (great lists by the way), I am struck by one thing: for the most part food isn't shown. My question is how many pounds/calories per day are people packing? I am packing for 10 days so food is a huge part of my packed weight. I am not really carrying any extra on my frame so I am keeping a close eye on calories, shooting for around 3900/day. I'm comfortable with what I'm taking just curious as to others approach. The way I look at it, (and what I learned longlining) with food I'm happy even if wet and cold and short on sleep. Again just looking for opinions (I know there's a few of those on here!)
    Thanks
    Josh

I bought a bunch of hawk vittles to try, mountain house, ramen noodles, dehydrated fruit, oatmeal, candy, and fish/duck jerky. I was going to add in a bunch of cous cous and instant mashed potatos to add some filler in there too. I am also throwing in gatorade drink mix, hot cocoa, and tea. (I don't drink coffee). I was looking at some of that sports drink mix that the olympic team uses too. I plan on taking some MH deserts as well. I have most of my food weight to about 17 pounds. I plan on about 1 pound per day at about 4000 calories.

It's amazing how little MH weighs when you take it out of the package and put all of the same flavors in one freezer bag.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

4000 calories per pound is 250 per ounce. Your diet would have to be straight olive oil to pull that off.

http://www.backcountry.net/arch/pct/9712/msg00061.html

One pound per day is getting you more like 2000 calories, and that's if you're really trying.

Look up recipes online for homemade hamburger helper. Brown in a pan and dry in the oven some ground game meat, until it's hard like gravel. Bring a 20-oz coke bottle full of olive oil for a 10-day trip and spike your dinner with a healthy 2-oz glop.

Mountain house is salt and starch. You can have it.

Make homemade food bars - look up a logan bread recipe and sub in a bunch of steel cut oats and cracked wheat, along with a bunch of dried fruits of choice.

Bring a slab of cheddar, some ry-krisp, a couple sticks of butter (hope for cool weather), and some dry salami from Costco. Makes a killer lunch sandwich.

Bring enough mixed nuts or costco trail mix to give yourself a three-handful shot before bed - will help you stay warm.

Ah yes, olive oil and butter. 4tbs and 1/2 stick of butter per day is about 1000 calories. I make daily rations in a zip lock, a cup of granola, some powdered milk, brownsugar, maybe a couple cutup prunes and 1/2 stick of butter which adds about 500 calories. 1 per day. Put in a cup in morning, add some hot water and it's a rich high calorie breakfast. Making daily rations and having butter in the granola doesn't matter how hot it gets. I take a plastic bottle of olive oil. Add 4tbs olive oil to Mtn house in eve for about 500 calories. That gets a typical "2 serving" mtn house to about 1000 calories. Consume another 1000-1500 from whl wheat bagels, peanut butter/honey mixed, jerky, power/energy bars and whatever else you want to get around 3500. I carry closer to 1.5-2lbs per day of food and gatorade I think. I'm rethinking the gatorade. It's pretty heavy. But it helps me alot, I drink it all day but I mix it weak in my drinking bladder.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Good suggestions Snyd!

I based my food on andrew skurkas list he used doing his 180 day trek through alaska. Mixed up whole milk + oatmeal + walnuts for breakfast, mt house and hawk vittle dinners, various snacks (7) through out the day. Totals right now look like: 3875 cal/29 oz per day. Nutritional breakdown is 25% fat, 50% carbs, 25% protein, should work pretty well. Sounds like I'm right in the ball park with the rest of you guys with obvious differences for personal preference or taste.

Maybe it's TMI and I understand the value of olive oil but don't you end up with a pretty loose stool after a couple days if you grease the pipes like that...just wondering? Maybe it's just me but after a few days of oil packed tuna or sardines and a bunch of granola I need the slit trench a little too often.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I'll try and upload my sheep gear list a little later. I have food on mine.

Usually what I do is 2 packets for instant oatmeal for breakfast. I also have prepared in advance packets of coffee grounds that I make in my jet boil. I like good coffee, so I get beans ground very course and then vacuum pack them into really small packets just big enough to make one "pot" of coffee.

Lunch is a packet of top ramen cooked in the jet boil.

Dinner is a 2 serving pack of mountain house. There are a few I like and a few I stay away from (chilli mac will kill anyone in the tent with me).

I eat clif bars for snacks. There are others that I like better, but I'm allergic to something that is most of the other brands (not sure what)...so clif bars it is, and they're pretty good. Costco sells them in a giant box for a good price.

I'll bring nuun tablets (http://www.nuun.com/products) to add to my water. Kinda like gatorade without all the sugar.

And lastly I have a lightweight nalgene flask that carries a pint of good single malt scotch. I'm all for cutting weight, but it sure is nice to celebrate the end of a good hunt with a cigar and some good scotch.

Everything I carry has over 100 calories per ounce of weight (that I carry) with the exception of the coffee, the nuun tablets, and the scotch.

One thing that usually lacks on these types of hunts is fiber. So on that note, I'd caution against the instant mashed potatoes, those will plug you up tight!

Anyone ever try the Natural High freeze dried?

Quote Originally Posted by mossyhorn View Post
    One thing that usually lacks on these types of hunts is fiber. So on that note, I'd caution against the instant mashed potatoes, those will plug you up tight!

Anyone ever try the Natural High freeze dried?
    Since we're getting to that topic.... There is something called Mirilax you can get at most pharmacy or grocery stores. Just a good tablespoon or so to a pint of water and it takes care of business. Tasteless and doesn't gum up bottles. For camping/hunting I take some before my big meal of the day.

I like the PINT of scotch tip best!

You guys must be OLD! Honestly my only complaint about the mtn house diet is after about day two the output looks shockingly like the input which makes the subsequent meals less appetizing...

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Maybe it's TMI and I understand the value of olive oil but don't you end up with a pretty loose stool after a couple days if you grease the pipes like that...just wondering? Maybe it's just me but after a few days of oil packed tuna or sardines and a bunch of granola I need the slit trench a little too often.
    Never notice or thought about it much myself. I do add a couple prunes in my daily granola/butter breakfast. I usually have a whole wheat bagel per day. I think that adds some fiber. Some nuts/trail mix sometimes as well but that stuffs pretty heavy.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by pacific-23 View Post
    I based my food on andrew skurkas list he used doing his 180 day trek through alaska. Mixed up whole milk + oatmeal + walnuts for breakfast, mt house and hawk vittle dinners, various snacks (7) through out the day. Totals right now look like: 3875 cal/29 oz per day. Nutritional breakdown is 25% fat, 50% carbs, 25% protein, should work pretty well. Sounds like I'm right in the ball park with the rest of you guys with obvious differences for personal preference or taste.
    Thanks for the post. I've never heard of this guy before and I got some good info for food as well as gear from his website.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    You guys must be OLD! Honestly my only complaint about the mtn house diet is after about day two the output looks shockingly like the input which makes the subsequent meals less appetizing...
    Is that like GIGO?

I've been using Wally Mart dried fruit...cherries, blueberrys, apples, plums, and whatever. It's pretty tasty and it's a lot easier than drying fruit myself. They also have a nut mix with walnuts,almonds and sunflower seeds without too much salt....mix em together with some granola and throw in some honey and it's hard to beat.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I am trying out that Wally world dried fruit as well. Going with apples and strawberries.

Well, just got my last food item in the mail so one more scale/package session and I'm ready! My day is oatmeal, and in no particular order: Clif builders bar (X2), Powerbar energy bar, 3 oz. peanut butter, 2.3 oz pepperoni, 3.5 oz trail mix (old school mix - peanuts, m&M's, almonds, raisins), 3.5 oz sesame sticks, freeze dried dinner - 8 days of hawk vittles 2 days mt house. Not worried about supplements as it is a pretty well balanced diet and the fat carb protein breakdown is pretty good. even with several items with relatively poor calorie/ounce ratios (oatmeal, pepperoni), I still have a final ration of 3875 cal/29 oz =133.6. I have been having a lot of fun looking up the calorie density and nutritional breakdown of various foods and refining my list from there. I guess it gives me something to obsess about that i can actually control. Unlike the weather......

Don't forget a stick and some spices... Mac and cheese MH or some instant taters..

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I was going to bring some powdered teriyaki seasoning. And definitely bringing some garlic salt and tobasco sauce. Hopefully I get to try some fresh sheep cooked over a fire like that in a couple weeks. This wait is killing me!

Olive oil and spices along with a frying pan aint to shabby when north of the brooks where green sticks (or any sticks) are pretty hard to find

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Don't forget a stick and some spices...
    Dang, LuJon's gettin fancy there. I still use the stick method...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast