Thread: RPM troubles

Default RPM troubles

My left hand rotating motor looses RPMs on occasion. It has been doing this for 4 years since it was new. I could reset it by raising the motor up and lower it back down but now the problem hangs for several days. It has been in the shop 3 times and changed both fuel pumps out. I also ran a independent tank to it in case it had a collapsing fuel line. It still dose it. I'm thinking computer issue. Anyone else ever have this problem?

I will be taking it back to the shop this week so any help would be appreciated. Sure is killing the fishing season.

BUMMER! Let me know what you find out.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

What kind/size of motors?

Quote Originally Posted by smokumreds View Post
    My left hand rotating motor looses RPMs on occasion. It has been doing this for 4 years since it was new. I could reset it by raising the motor up and lower it back down but now the problem hangs for several days. It has been in the shop 3 times and changed both fuel pumps out. I also ran a independent tank to it in case it had a collapsing fuel line. It still dose it. I'm thinking computer issue. Anyone else ever have this problem?

I will be taking it back to the shop this week so any help would be appreciated. Sure is killing the fishing season.
    Not sure how your fuel system is rigged but a vacuum test on all fuel lines would be in order. Remember that your fuel system is under vaccum from the tank to the pump and it doesn't take much to create a leak. Been there, done that!

Do you have enough slack in your fuel lines to swap between motors? If it's a problem with your lines, the other motor should have the RPM issues.

Is it a slow or fast loss of RPMs?
    The reason I ask is I had an issue earlier this year with the RPMs cutting and then coming back.
    I finally figured that it was a faulty plug.

I had a similar problem earlier this summer and switching to another propeller solved it. Could it be something as simple as that?

What motors are you running ?

I have twin 200 Yamahas. It's the left hand rotation motor that is having issues. This problem comes and goes and can last for a few days or a few hours.

I changed fuel lines, both fuel pumps on the motor, all plugs are firing good. It's like when you react the sweet spot on the throttle that can be between 2000 and 4000 it runs great. If you go past that it acts like it is flooding out and the RPM drops to idle speed.

Take it home and give her a day off and she may run great for the next trip or you can limp home at 10 MPH. It is at Dewies now so maybe they can pinpoint the problem. There was 100 gallons on board and I told them to running it till it was fixed. Hope it's something stupid. I have been dealing with this problem since it was new.

I think we found the problem in a charcoal fume sensor. Part of the emissions system. It had water in it from rough weather or whatever. I have been chasing this problem for several years. Drewe's had a yamaha tek come in to help with the problem. My thanks to Chad and his crew at Dewes for getting me back in the water.
    Just finished a 3 day trip to Nuka Bay without an issue. I'm off to the sound for some shrimp tomorrow.