Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 68

Thread: dip net trash & chaos

  1. #1

    Default dip net trash & chaos

    I love this state, moved here in 1965 and lived in Kenai since 1980. The Reds are in the Kenai and the dip net fishery is in full swing. Every one is talking about the Reds and it seems like half of Alaska is here. Seems like us humans go nuts when we see a bunch of any thing and are allowed to kill it. My wife and I can go through about 15 Reds a year, we usually can every couple of years and smoke up what was not ate from the previous year. We used to do 30 fish a year when the kids were here. I doubt that all the fish that are taken are for consumption by Alaskan's and I would not be a bit surprised if a bunch does not end up freezer burned and trashed, oh well. What really grates on me is the trash that is left behind. What kind of person does this, I just can't understand it and it happens every year. Maybe that is the way they treat their own home, yard or recreation area, ya got me. I am all for folks filling there freezer and having a good time, I just wish some of them were not such a bunch of rude, greedy, littering slobs!

    I feel better, so off to bed so I don't wake up like an old grouch. Thank you Lord for not having year round Red salmon runs.

  2. #2
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    That's right... stir the pot and go to bed.
    We have this thread every year. I don't think dipping brings out the best in a lot of people, so I try to stay out of the way until the orgy is over, then pick up a few.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default Kenai beach - this week

    I hear ya, but my mileage does vary...

    Record crowds for midweek happened this week. Look for Kenai city to (months from now) announce that their gross income went up from this activity (this is my guess; no hard data). Hard telling what their expenses did; there was FAR more on-beach patrolling. Two different side-by-side UTVs, police on the beach, policeman walked clear out to the sand many many many times. For years I've heard the talk of more on-beach presence; this year I saw them walk the talk. From where I sat (and/or dipped) it looks like it worked.

    I saw better adherence to laws (and common sense), of course with a few notable exceptions. I find that even when a person is badly on the beach, the best course of action is to smile, ask them if everyone is really OK (because it didn't sound that way ), leaving them to wonder exactly what impression they were making on others - yes, some people actually do care.

    To digress: Tuesday and Wednesday (of this week) were both the most midweek dippers and the least fish per person I've ever seen. Ever. One friend of mine came home with 2 fish after one day of boat dipping (2 nets). Another with 1 fish after two days of beach dipping.

    I could of used a few more reds, but I can manage on the ones I got. I'll just fool around more with caribou and moose in the smoker, and smoke fewer salmon.

    I just poked my head in here to avoid fish processing for a few minutes. Still got a bunch of salmon to fillet and got to get back to it. Right this second it feels like a good problem to have.

  4. #4
    Member SANDRAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kenai,AK
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I love this state, moved here in 1965 and lived in Kenai since 1980. The Reds are in the Kenai and the dip net fishery is in full swing. Every one is talking about the Reds and it seems like half of Alaska is here. Seems like us humans go nuts when we see a bunch of any thing and are allowed to kill it. My wife and I can go through about 15 Reds a year, we usually can every couple of years and smoke up what was not ate from the previous year. We used to do 30 fish a year when the kids were here. I doubt that all the fish that are taken are for consumption by Alaskan's and I would not be a bit surprised if a bunch does not end up freezer burned and trashed, oh well. What really grates on me is the trash that is left behind. What kind of person does this, I just can't understand it and it happens every year. Maybe that is the way they treat their own home, yard or recreation area, ya got me. I am all for folks filling there freezer and having a good time, I just wish some of them were not such a bunch of rude, greedy, littering slobs!

    I feel better, so off to bed so I don't wake up like an old grouch. Thank you Lord for not having year round Red salmon runs.
    Was at Sportsmans in Soldotna and a whole pile of trash was left on the sidewalk,guy threatening the clerk at a local store for not giving his 16yo son a license w/no ID,people coming to a complete stop in the middle of K beach (55 MPH),rude people and trash left in every public and some private turn out.No Thanks,don't need your money that badly !!!

  5. #5
    Member SANDRAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kenai,AK
    Posts
    123

    Default

    I can see why this thread has been avoided ! Bit too much truth here ..........

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Soldotna, Ak
    Posts
    62

    Default Makes me SICK!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by SANDRAT View Post
    I can see why this thread has been avoided ! Bit too much truth here ..........
    Its gets worse and worse every year!!! These people are allowed to come down here act like complete idiots and Leave with out no problems!! I loved the guy at Soldotna creek park with dipnets in the back truck, from Anchorage! yelling at his friend that had five very large coolers that were full of fillets and no where to put more!! ***!! O and the guy who was throwing his trash on ground after hanging his jacket up on the NO FISHING BANK CLOSURE SIGN!!!!!
    We need to form a group (like in Hawaii) that police our own areas!! Yup!! Start whooping peoples disrespectful %^$!!!! And throw them in the **** river!! I will be writing everybody about this and photos to go with it!!
    Dip netting here should be LOCALS ONLY(live here year round)!!!
    Were better start standing up to this!!!

  7. #7
    Member 907pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    488

    Default

    I agree with you that it could be better, but try not to stereotype and say that all of us up North are idiots. We allow people from the KP to come up here and hunt our caribou, moose, and sheep(among other things) and even though we don't like it we dont get on here and tear into all the people from the KP. Last year in one of my moose hunting areas West of the MacLaren river there were 13 sublegal moose shot by hunters that were in the area to hunt the tier 1 caribou. Out of the 13 sublegal moose confiscated by F&G 10 of those were taken by KP residents. I know that not all of you are stupid idiots, so I refrained from getting on here and telling you all to stay down South and let us "locals" do the hunting up here. The point is, we put up with allot as well. I really do hope that things get better for you down there. I picked up 25 yesterday from my boat. I didnt get in any fights with anyone, didn't leave any trash, and supported your local commerce. I beleive that if you take Wright's advice and "just start whooping people" it would only cause more issues. If you can't play nice then don't go. When my fishing holes get overrun by crowds i simply find another hole. Maybe you should do the same.

  8. #8
    Member Lake creek fishermen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Skwentna, AK
    Posts
    854

    Default

    Why would the clerk not give the kid a license without a ID? I got mine this year with no ID no problem.. Even for the replacement as well
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

  9. #9
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SANDRAT View Post
    I can see why this thread has been avoided ! Bit too much truth here ..........
    Pardon me If i'm wrong, I might be confusing you with another forum member, but didn't you state that you just moved up here? Like what.....a couple months ago right? If so, quite a bold attitude to have, coming on here brandishing other Alaskans in regards to trash and dip netters. When I was finished netting I went around picking up pieces of trash along the river on the boat ride back, and at the bridge parking lot. You've resided here in Alaska for all of a couple months, and you really do know it all about how atrocious dipenetters are....... ridiculous snobbery if I've ever seen it.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Soldotna, Ak
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Ok..
    1st off I want to apologize, my comments were a bit heated(Ok alot). I shouldn't have singled anyone or group out in the manner that I did. What I should have said is that we as Alaska need to find a common goal of respect for others and the land.
    2nd- I've been here for 4 years, regardless if you are here for 1 min or 100 years take care and respect the land.
    3rd- Its not a few doing this, its more then a few which is why it is such a problem.
    I will still be writing the bourgh and state about the issues on hand.
    Iam am open to suggestions... More waste disposal units in key locations? Stricter and more enforcement to help police the areas? Soooo... Again I apologize for the comments made. Kudos for the fellow trash pickers!

  11. #11
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by s_wright121 View Post
    Ok..
    1st off I want to apologize, my comments were a bit heated(Ok alot). I shouldn't have singled anyone or group out in the manner that I did. What I should have said is that we as Alaska need to find a common goal of respect for others and the land.
    2nd- I've been here for 4 years, regardless if you are here for 1 min or 100 years take care and respect the land.
    3rd- Its not a few doing this, its more then a few which is why it is such a problem.
    I will still be writing the bourgh and state about the issues on hand.
    Iam am open to suggestions... More waste disposal units in key locations? Stricter and more enforcement to help police the areas? Soooo... Again I apologize for the comments made. Kudos for the fellow trash pickers!
    It's easy to get riled...
    Wherever we travel, we should remember that it is someone else's "back yard" and be respectful. Even go the extra mile. Most of the problems that occur are caused by the growing number of people who are disfunctional no matter where they may be. That is s societal problem, not a dip netting or caribou hunting problem (sorry 907pride, all our moose are gone down here, so I'll be up there again this year). For that I blame the education system and boomer parents who bought into the horrific self esteem movement of the 70-90s, which, instead of teaching respect for self and others, instilled an attitude of "me first 'cause I'm special, and screw everyone else".
    And that, boys and girls, will be our cross to bear in matters such as these.
    Walk softly and carry a big stick.

  12. #12
    Member thewhop2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,366

    Default

    Sayak, carry a big stick, nothing more to be said
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    505

    Default

    Yes, there are idiots out there. We see them in the Anchorage/Valley as well. They come in and trash Ship and Bird Creeks, leave garbage all over the hunting grounds and crap behind every tree they can find given the chance. These are also the people who post on craigslist every spring giving away freezer burnt fish and game that they harvested and did not use. Then they run back out and get more than they need and do the same thing the next year. Makes me sick too.

    That being said, I am willing to bet that the trouble makers comprise less than one percent of the total who participate in fishing and hunting in Alaska. It is amazing how a few people can give the whole group a bad wrap. The anti-hunting/fishing people love idiots just as much as we hate them.

    If it makes you feel any better, my family packed out three bags of trash we picked off the beach and campground this week while we were down there. We were also polite to the ladies working at the DQ and cafe while we enjoyed a meal and some ice cream. It will not make up for the idiots out there, but we try our best which is all we can do.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

  14. #14
    Member SANDRAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kenai,AK
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Pardon me If i'm wrong, I might be confusing you with another forum member, but didn't you state that you just moved up here? Like what.....a couple months ago right? If so, quite a bold attitude to have, coming on here brandishing other Alaskans in regards to trash and dip netters. When I was finished netting I went around picking up pieces of trash along the river on the boat ride back, and at the bridge parking lot. You've resided here in Alaska for all of a couple months, and you really do know it all about how atrocious dipenetters are....... ridiculous snobbery if I've ever seen it.
    Actually Mainer,you are wrong,seems like you are "minimizing" or "maximizing to make your point.I've been up here for over 25 yrs off and on,just became a legal(in the true sense of the word) resident this year.I paid NR fees,never drew a PFD,or did anything else fraudulently while claiming I was a resident.I run a company,create jobs,produce a product,and pay more taxes than most.Get your fact straight before you call anyone a "Snob".

    I stand by my original post,you talk about picking up trash on the boat ride back ? And,in the bridge parking lot ? Wow !!! Guess they/some really ARE Slobs !!!! Swing by our parking lots in Soldotna and Kenai and put some of that trash in a dumpster while you're at it.Only happens at this time of year.....Of Course,how would I know ? Only been up here a "couple of months" !!!

  15. #15
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    I could care less if you stand by your ridiculous post or not. Your stereotyping and negative views of dipnetters (as a sub-year resident), means nothing to me.

    Might as well stand by this post too:

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=#post1108956

    I guess your on n off "tourist fishing" must have helped you become an expert on labeling dipnetters.

  16. #16
    Member SANDRAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Kenai,AK
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I could care less if you stand by your ridiculous post or not. Your stereotyping and negative views of dipnetters (as a sub-year resident), means nothing to me.

    Might as well stand by this post too:

    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t=#post1108956

    I guess your on n off "tourist fishing" must have helped you become an expert on labeling dipnetters.
    Now it's a "sub-year resident" ? Funny,a full year makes you a resident,not less than a year . Must mean something to you if the time you took to research my profile and re-post for me is any indication ? Feel like twisting any other info around while you are at it ? Never have answer how you came about those mounds of trash you picked up along the river and at the boat launch,just wonder who left them there,was it the "tourist fishing" out of state crowd ? Laughing at you Mainer !!!

  17. #17
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    I had fun down there his weekend and limited out. Could care less what others think. 99% of he people are nice down there and great to talk to (kasilof anyways) and I didn't see much of anything in regards to trash. See you next year kasilof!

  18. #18
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default If you are a pen resident, don't let it get to you.

    Here are some helpful hints to maintain your sanity during the dip net season:
    1. learn to grit your teeth and bear it (avoid caffein if possible and revisit the old strategy of counting to 10);
    2. remember the old saying: "This too shall pass.";
    3. plan your shopping and getting gas, etc. for early morning and late evening;
    4. though some people appear really stupid, most are not... they are just caught up in the mania. God loves them as much as he does you and they probably act quite normal back home;
    5. redouble your defensive driving strategies to compensate for those who appear stupid;
    6. just remember: their jobs will be calling them back to the metroplex soon;
    7. SeptOber is a great time in and of itself and there are silvers to be caught (which actually requires some real fishing prowess), and the campgrounds won't be plugged;
    8. when you come down for your beach walk in a few weeks, the tides will have cleaned up and you will have lots of room around you to enjoy the view and the blessed quiet;
    9. it is not your responsibility what happens to the overkill;
    10. it will be nearly a full year before you have to put up with it all again.

  19. #19
    Member power drifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Down wind of 2 Glaciers
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Sayak, carry a big stick, nothing more to be said
    Well I'd say if your in Anchorage be careful with the big stick as it might get you shot dead by the cops.

  20. #20
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Well I'd say if your in Anchorage be careful with the big stick as it might get you shot dead by the cops.
    Keep your stick concealed.
    I think the big stick whop was talking about has a hoop and mesh at the end!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •