Thread: G 17 Foot Grumman Aluminum Canoe

Default G 17 Foot Grumman Aluminum Canoe

There is not a square stern on this canoe, but is a square stern a necessity? Is $350 a good deal? I would like a 19 footer, but would 17 do for putzing around and maybe a hunting or fishing trip?

Re. the G-17 in particular, I can only reply based on research. I have found that there are still some bopats made by Grumman that have the thicker hull (per their claims in their on-line literature and those of dealers).

The newer sq. sterns are not among them. At least not the 19 ft. model sq. sterns.

It's been MANY years since I hung a motor off the side of a dbl. ender, but my thinking is this; you want the bottom of any -narrow- boat to be relatively flat in order to compensate for the potential pulling that the weight of a motor can cause. In that regard, a more broad sq. stern provides some of that stability.

The apparent benefit of an Osage/Osagian, for example, aside from having a decent sq. stern option, is that it's about 44" wide at the beam.

I personally wouldn't want to put a motor on the aft of a dbl ender, and expect to goose it.

But the aluminum hulled freighters are a new issue for me.

I'm more experienced with the wider Canadian marine canvas-covered, wood-ribbed freighters, with a fairly deep v hull at the taller bow, and with the hull flattening out at the stern. Those are a VERY stable boat. But many persons shy away from marine canvas over wood boats for obvious reasons (weight and durability being among them). But I've fished a bunch in them, and I'd give my eye teeth to have one.

ruffle

Default show today

There was an older 19' at the "used marine stuff" show today, w/ a Frb phone number. Watch the Frb News Minus and it may appear. I think he wanted $1600 obo?? As for a side-mount on a double-end canoe, forget it. I know folks use them and swear by them, and at me for saying to not do so, but they are an accident waiting to happen. I almost tipped my 19' square stern enough times to only imagine what would have happened in a 17' dbl w/ a side-mount. My two cents on the matter.

Default Conoe

RIGHT ON FOR THE SIDE MOUNT THEY DO WORK BUT NOT FOR RIVERS THE 19 ft IS THE WAY TO GO FOR SIZE AN WEIGHT CARRING 2 PEOPLE AN A 50 INCH MOOSE AN CAMP GEAR [NO MOTOR]