Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird Creek?

Default Bird Creek?

Hi all,

I'm getting antsy being in Anchorage with all the sockeyes down in Kenai. Is anything going on in Bird Creek? I'd jump at going after work, even for the "lesser" salmon.

Any lure/technique recommendations for Bird Creek?

Thanks!

Well even though there are more Pinks some Silvers should be in there soon and so not sure if they are "lesser" salmon. Either way, it should start getting good within the next few weeks. As for technique you could either float some roe or throw a size 3/4 spinner at them.

I saw a picture on ADN.com of a guy holding a chrome chum salmon from bird creek on Saturday wich was the opener there. Number 6 and 5 spinners work well and pixies if your hardware fishing. Egss sucking leeches and flash flies work well if fly fishing.

Saw the pic of the chum...wasnt a chrome...already was changing. Silvers are better eating than reds so they arent lesser by far.

You are in the minority if you think that silvers are better tasting than reds.....milder tasting fo sho, but not better.........

We need a poll....

Quote Originally Posted by mustang0335 View Post
    Saw the pic of the chum...wasnt a chrome...already was changing. Silvers are better eating than reds so they arent lesser by far.

.....yes not an ocean caught chromer but still chrome enough. Definately still eating fare. As for a better tasting salmon, everyone has their preferences. Perhaps the OP was referring to the millions of pinks in that river as the "lesser" salmon. When I think of Bird creek, I think of Pinks. A lot more of them than any other species.

Hit high tide at bird creek last night. Started seeing fish coming in, decent amount of fish cdoming in on the tide. When low and behold here come two guys on jet skis powering up bird creek. They proceded to drive up all the way past the no fishing sign waking everything out as they went. Then turned around and blew on out. Back to wherever they came from. Dont know if it was coincidence or not fishing was dead the next half hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    You are in the minority if you think that silvers are better tasting than reds.....milder tasting fo sho, but not better.........

We need a poll....
    Well I am just going what I hear most....9 out of 10 people have told us since we moved here that the silvers are the most sought after salmon. I know I can fix all of them and you couldnt tell the difference when eating them.

Quote Originally Posted by FishAk123 View Post
    Hit high tide at bird creek last night. Started seeing fish coming in, decent amount of fish cdoming in on the tide. When low and behold here come two guys on jet skis powering up bird creek. They proceded to drive up all the way past the no fishing sign waking everything out as they went. Then turned around and blew on out. Back to wherever they came from. Dont know if it was coincidence or not fishing was dead the next half hour.
    Wow! That takes some guts. How did they not get hooked by people. I would think those things would just be targets for the fishermen. "SET THE HOOK!!!".
    I just can't understand why so many people hate jet skiis...
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Any new news? Was thinking of going to Bird Creek within the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post

We need a poll....
    Maybe, but there's no other fish like a silver for a good, honest fight !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Maybe, but there's no other fish like a silver for a good, honest fight !!!
    Again, its a matter of opinion. As far as I'm concerned, a silver fights like a catfish - only it does its thing on the surface, rather than on the bottom. Size for size, I'd rate a silver dead last for fighting qualities, among the 5 salmon species we have here. I see you're from FL - are you sure your not confusing silver salmon with tarpon - I think I've seen them refered to as "silver kings".

Silvers are one of the hardest fighting fish out of the 5 salmonoids. Unless your the kind of person who goes overkill on gear
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Again, its a matter of opinion. As far as I'm concerned, a silver fights like a catfish - only it does its thing on the surface, rather than on the bottom. Size for size, I'd rate a silver dead last for fighting qualities, among the 5 salmon species we have here. I see you're from FL - are you sure your not confusing silver salmon with tarpon - I think I've seen them refered to as "silver kings".
    I'd have to agreed. I'd take a red, king, or rainbow over a silver any day of the week for fighting quality. I've caught wild rainbows 10" long that would put silvers to shame as far as fighting goes. Silvers ain't bad to eat, but again, nothing like a slab of red salmon. And yes, trout are a SALMONID not a salmonoid. Of the 5 pacific salmon species I'd rate silvers 4th behind reds, kings, and a fresh chum.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Wow! That takes some guts. How did they not get hooked by people. I would think those things would just be targets for the fishermen. "SET THE HOOK!!!".
    I just can't understand why so many people hate jet skiis...
    Yeah i wanted to set the hook they waked everything out!! However there was only 4 or 5 other people fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Silvers are one of the hardest fighting fish out of the 5 salmonoids. Unless your the kind of person who goes overkill on gear

You have no idea of the type of tackle I use, but then again I've noticed that you make a lot of comments that you actually have no insight on.
    I stand by my earlier comment.

Not to highjack this thread, but the topic of "hardest fighting fish" had been discussed on the forum a few years back...
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighting+salmon

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    You have no idea of the type of tackle I use, but then again I've noticed that you make a lot of comments that you actually have no insight on.
    I stand by my earlier comment.
    I agree 100% sir! There are also a lot more than 5 (the correct spelling is) salmonIDS to include salmon, trout, and char. There are 5 SPECIES of pacific salmon.

Back on topic, I plan to hit Bird sometime this week. I'll report if I do.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Wah wah wah ill see you guys on the river!
    Ill stop by and look over bird for a few mins on the way to homer this weekend and will post up what I saw, heard the streams along the seward hwy are pretty slow, but that doesnt mean you should go burn some gas and go check!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    I'd have to agreed. I'd take a red, king, or rainbow over a silver any day of the week for fighting quality. I've caught wild rainbows 10" long that would put silvers to shame as far as fighting goes. Silvers ain't bad to eat, but again, nothing like a slab of red salmon. And yes, trout are a SALMONID not a salmonoid. Of the 5 pacific salmon species I'd rate silvers 4th behind reds, kings, and a fresh chum.
    youve got a point but silvers are funner to catch in general,... it seems as though fishing for reds and kings sometimes you go hours with not even a bite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast