Thread: Little White Worms in Sockeye Fillets?

Default Little White Worms in Sockeye Fillets?

Hello everyone,

A buddy of mine came back from the kenei on monday night with some reds he went down and got. The fish were not gutted, headed, or anything. Upon filleting the fish he notices little white worms about 2 inches long in the fillets. Upon a lot of internet research i have found that is is a round worm, that if cooked well and frooze for atleast seven days, would not be harmful to humans. I saw something on this forum in 2006 but wanted to know if there is anymore info on this parasite. Or if there has been some tests or impacts on enviroment etc. etc. Any info would be great thanks.

Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    Hello everyone,

A buddy of mine came back from the kenei on monday night with some reds he went down and got. The fish were not gutted, headed, or anything. Upon filleting the fish he notices little white worms about 2 inches long in the fillets. Upon a lot of internet research i have found that is is a round worm, that if cooked well and frooze for atleast seven days, would not be harmful to humans. I saw something on this forum in 2006 but wanted to know if there is anymore info on this parasite. Or if there has been some tests or impacts on enviroment etc. etc. Any info would be great thanks.

Joe.
    Most all salmon have them little white worms!....they won't hurt ya one bit, if worms in fish bother you don't be looking to close at lingcod and halibut fillets.....grin

If you want to read a book that will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.....try "Parasite Rex" by Carl Zimmer

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    ...if worms in fish bother you don't be looking to close at lingcod and halibut fillets.....
    ...or any other fish.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    ...or any other fish.
    or moose, caribou, sheep, or bear.

Kenai sockeye in particular are notable for being loaded with wads of fine roundworms in the belly cavity. You could put a fork into the belly of many a red and roll'em out like angel hair pasta.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

When I fished the Kasilof reds this summer, I found masses of worms in the stomach cavities, but only in the females. The males were pretty much clean. Any fish people explain this? They didn't appear to have gotten into the meat much, and rinsed out easily. Good reason to gut early I guess.

I found those worms in a pink my daughter caught in July of 2011. It was a female. Never found worms like that in any other fish I caught at that same spot. Although I've mostly caught males. Only 3 females in 5 years. Heard that some salmon carry pin worms as well. If not cooked enough, they can be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Kenai sockeye in particular are notable for being loaded with wads of fine roundworms in the belly cavity. You could put a fork into the belly of many a red and roll'em out like angel hair pasta.
    Mmmmmm. What wine is best paired with angel hair pasta worms?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Mmmmmm. What wine is best paired with angel hair pasta worms?
    I think that whiskey would be in order.

Tequila would be best for the worms, kills anything!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342745506.776356.jpg like these? They came outta the flesh of a small kenai red.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I'm dipping tomorrow and now you guys gotta bring the worm thing up................Thanks a whole bunch!!!!!!!!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by germe1967 View Post
    I found those worms in a pink my daughter caught in July of 2011. It was a female. Never found worms like that in any other fish I caught at that same spot. Although I've mostly caught males. Only 3 females in 5 years. Heard that some salmon carry pin worms as well. If not cooked enough, they can be a problem.
    Pin worms can come from human contact...

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342745506.776356.jpg like these? They came outta the flesh of a small kenai red.
    I've always noticed the thin ones but I just noticed these bigger ones this year. The bigger ones like this are usually on the flesh and I think they are the same as the ones in halibut.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I may be wrong, but I believe these are Anisakis or Pseudoterranova.

Default These are one of the numerous species that can be present

These are one of the numerous species that can be present

0041_001.jpg
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    Hello everyone,

Joe.

I found those babies in my king one year. I looked in the ADF&G book, web site and only found parasite in animals, nothing in fish.

I called ADF&G and talked to a bio dude and he said, its very common to have those little wormy parasites in fish. Cooking the fish kills them, freezing kills them, but if you raw Sockeye with out frezing them you may get sick from a bug.

The places that sell raw fish to eat, (by law, I hear, have to freeze the fish before serving or eating raw) you know the stuff in rice rolls. All that salmon was frozen at one time to kill those pesky little worms/ parasite.

Great aritcle on Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease...ites_in_salmon

ADF&G should put this in the Pubs/books they give away every year.

Beware dogs eating fish raw;

Salmon poisoning disease (SPD) is a fatal disease of dogs and other canids caused by infection with a type of rickettsia, Neorickettsia helminthoeca. It results from eating raw salmon, trout, or Pacific giant salamander and is found in the Pacific Northwest. These fish and amphibians are infected with metacercariae of a fluke, nanophyetus salmincola through an intermediate host, the snail. The fluke attaches to the intestine of the dog and the rickettsiae are released, causing severe gastrointestinal disease and systemic infection.
    Neorickettsia elokominica, carried by the same fluke, causes a similar disease known as Elokomin fluke fever (EFF) in canids, bears, raccoons, and ferrets.

Symptoms of SPD begin about one week after eating the salmon and include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, depression, high fever, and enlarged lymph nodes. Untreated, mortality reaches 90 percent. Death occurs seven to ten days after symptoms begin.
    Diagnosis is through finding the fluke eggs microscopically in a stool sample. A needle aspiration biopsy of an enlarged lymph node will reveal rickettsial organisms within macrophages in many cases. The rickettsial infection can be successfully treated with antibiotics such as tetracycline, and the fluke infection can be treated with fenbendazole, EFF has less severe symptoms than SPD, with less gastrointestinal signs and more lymph node involvement. The mortality in untreated cases is about ninety percent.

Actually saw a few worms in the fish this weekend as well. This is the first time I have every seen them and they were only in the bellies of a few of the larger male fish we caught. Maybe 5 fish out of dozens. Just scooped em out with the guts. Still gonna freeze em and eat em.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

When I got my 6 a few days ago only one fish had some inside of her, I had all hens and didnt see much worms. Strange
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee