Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: EO today drift fleet is out again

Default EO today drift fleet is out again

EO came out. Drift fleet will have nets in the water today.

Been out on the South Beach last 2 days, and its not worth paying the 15$ just to drive out on the beach to catch 3-4 fish a day. Very, Very slow thanks to the Commercial Guys. Maybe one day this week the ADF&G with think of us little serfs out here wanting a few fish for our family over the winter instead of out of state commercial fishing interests.

This is frustrating to hear. It seems as though in order to dipnet sucessfully you need to embark on a pilgriamge to the Kena, set up an encampment, and enter a pledg with all members in your party to stay until the fish gods smile upon you. There has to be a better way

I heard it was very good on Sunday. That's fishing. I imagine it wouldn't be that tough to find that pulse of fish in the river and catch them on a rod and reel with your family.

I know people who are old and feeble who landed limits in under an hour in soldotna Monday and Tuesday.

Lightbulb

Personally, I think all the state's dip-netters should form an association, hire a secretary to record and coordinate when everyone wants to dip-nets and then let the commercial gill-net industry know when they are allowed to put their nets out. . .

Come on, folks, it's a mixed-stock fishery being harvested by various user groups—dip-netters, sports, drift-nets, charter boats, set-nets, subsistence—give it a rest. That's why it's called "fishing" and not "catching." Some will be happy some of the time, and some will be unhappy some of the time.

That's life . .

I am normally down there the last week of July running hard and catching all I can. Unfortunately this year I am on the mend from surgery. I hve been out of work for a month, and have the very real possibiity of needing more surgery do to a run of bad luck. I am not one to impose on people but was fortunate enough to have a friend agree to proxy for me while he was dipping today. I can't help but be dissapointed that the dipping isn't going better today. Will I starve without fish this year? Probably not, but it is still something I enjoy eating during the winter

Quote Originally Posted by High_Pockets View Post
    This is frustrating to hear. It seems as though in order to dipnet sucessfully you need to embark on a pilgriamge to the Kena, set up an encampment, and enter a pledg with all members in your party to stay until the fish gods smile upon you. There has to be a better way
    There is a better way. Live on the peninsula. Wait for word to rumble through town that they're hitting hard. Jump in your boat, and head down to the mouth!!

They should just close dipnetting when commercial openings occur and save us all the misery of no fish…

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fnd1734 View Post
    They should just close dipnetting when commercial openings occur and save us all the misery of no fish…
    Not even wrong . .

When a big pulse of fish comes in, all the nets in Cook Inlet can't get them all.

The fish come when God* sends them, the fish don't show up to suit our schedules.

*Or, if you prefer "Mother Nature"

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    There is a better way. Live on the peninsula. Wait for word to rumble through town that they're hitting hard. Jump in your boat, and head down to the mouth!!
    Trust me one of these days I will be retiring down there. This year just sucks for me. I am on strict doctors orders too keep off my foot. All i can do is wish I could go fishing. Hopefully next weekend I will be floating the upper and flipping from a lawn chair...lol

Quote Originally Posted by High_Pockets View Post
    Trust me one of these days I will be retiring down there. This year just sucks for me. I am on strict doctors orders too keep off my foot. All i can do is wish I could go fishing. Hopefully next weekend I will be floating the upper and flipping from a lawn chair...lol
    Ya know, I have to say that I truly feel bad for people in your situation. Both A, you're physical inablilty to fish at this time, and B, your distance from the fishery. I have a family that allows us a significant amount of fish, and I'm lucky to have a buddy with a boat that will take me out until such time as we have filled his permit, my permit, and a proxy for my elderly mother every year. And living here in the heart of it, we're able to go pretty much on a moment's notice.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    I gotta say this is spot on.
    We can all choose where we live.
    If you moved to the right village you could throw out a 60' gillnet and net all the kings you need.
    Heck if I moved to Seldovia I would qualify for subsistence halibut. My choice is to live in the central peninsula area. I could move and get the rights to catch more fish but my choice is to live where I do.
    I could live in an area that allows 5 caribou a day yearround. I choose to live here instead.
    I still don't understand why the Kenai and Kasilof rivers have to feed 1/2 of Alaska.
    I would support a proposal that makes it so dipnetting on the peninsula is for Peninsula residents only.
    Anchorage area people get fish creek. If you live near chitna you could dip there. etc. etc.
    Sure would save the Peninsula from the hordes of out of area dippers and the aftermath of what they leave behind.
    You chose to live where you did so you have to deal with that.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn
    Anchorage area people get fish creek
    lol the mouth of that creek is the width of my left titty

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    lol the mouth of that creek is the width of my left titty
    Not my problem you have small body parts or live in an area that has creeks of a similiar size.
    Like I said you choose where you live and if it happens to be next to some good hunting or fishing then so be it. If not well that was your choice.
    I wouldn't live in las vegas if I wanted to be a salmon fisherman anymore so than I would live in Florida if I wanted to hunt moose all the time.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I'm going to keep my mouth shut on this one, LOL Then the valley should be for palmer and Wasilla moose hunters only. See, I should have kept my mouth shut. Fairbanks moose for Fairbanks moose hunters onlytoo. Pretty simple thinking on somebody's part, methinks. While we are at it throw up that toll booth on the alyaska turn-off. Keep those soldotna folks from using the Costco connection. Yup, makes sense.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

ya scheduled my 3 days of dipping for the peak times, time off hunts got it all squared away....thre days in the water and 6 fish, 4 of them because someone took pitty on me and my son and let us ride in his boat and dip!! it was a riot..better than the beach where there were no fish...
    got more than we had before i went down, but would be planning in the future for more time and A BOAT!!! just because of the uncertainty of the EO for the commercail boys...

its funny in fish and GAME, when theres an over aboundance of game they don't call the guides and give us more tags....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

It's the over-escapement that is the boogieman in the woods. Past years don't seem to bear that out but Moose and Goose still believe in that fable. What did mother nature do before alaska over-escapement was a problem? Still wondering that problem but I guess Commercial managers have the cover they need.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    It's the over-escapement that is the boogieman in the woods. Past years don't seem to bear that out but Moose and Goose still believe in that fable. What did mother nature do before alaska over-escapement was a problem? Still wondering that problem but I guess Commercial managers have the cover they need.
    The rivers were far more cyclical with some years having massive returns and others having very low. The escapement philosophy is to try and keep a sustained high level of return to maximize and stabilize the commercial fishery.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    ya scheduled my 3 days of dipping for the peak times, time off hunts got it all squared away....thre days in the water and 6 fish, 4 of them because someone took pitty on me and my son and let us ride in his boat and dip!! it was a riot..better than the beach where there were no fish...
    got more than we had before i went down, but would be planning in the future for more time and A BOAT!!! just because of the uncertainty of the EO for the commercail boys...

its funny in fish and GAME, when theres an over aboundance of game they don't call the guides and give us more tags....
    Very similar to our experience this year - logistics, $fuel spent$, etc. and the commercials were out every darned day. Fishing was very, very poor. Virtually no fish until they were home for an hour or more, and then only a few. One day for dip netting would have been reasonable, but No.
    Also have a relative (resident in the area) that dips from a boat, and has for years with great success. They did near as bad as we did - not the usual at all. I have trouble at my age dipping from a boat, but can handle the shore.
    That, combined with City of Kenai overcharging beyond reason and uncourteous folks shoulder to shoulder in complete ignorance of net length; something is going to change and soon.

F & G is supposed to manage for ALL Alaskans. I get that. I have no problem with that philosophy.

The way I figure it, they probably assumed that nobody would be dipnetting during the middle of the week. They probably thought that it would be fair to allow the commercial fishermen to catch as much as they wanted during the middle of the week because the dipnetters wouldn't be down and they had already reached the projected escapement goal. At least I hope that was their intention. I like to assume that they have everyone's best intention in mind.

The only problem is, most guys take work off to go dipping because they want to fill their freezers. So now you got a big problem because you got a crowded river full of boats, no fish, and a bunch of angry drunks who are pissed off because they drove all the way down to the Kenai and took the day off of work to hit the big run. Only to have the F & G pull an last minute call.

I think it all could have been avoided had the ADF & G been more transparent and honest with the public. Maybe they should have at least warned everyone first that there was a strong likelihood for an commercial EO opening. Then at least people could have taken the warning into consideration before traveling down to the Kenai to get skunked. Just my two cents.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast