Thread: Please Drive Safe Rant

Default Please Drive Safe Rant

Coming home from KP last weekend there were way too many #$%^ heads out there. Yeah, the speed limit is 65 most of the way, no need to ride my @$$ because Iím doing it. Besides the 500 cars, trucks and motorhomes in front of me are doing it to. So you pass me and 5-10 other vehicles doing 90 or so, then I see you pulled over on the side of the road 5 miles up. Then what do you know you are riding my @$$ again and pass the same way, this time barely missing the oncoming traffic.

I did call the REDDI hotline and report you. I'm not sure if they pulled you over because I passed you as you were in the pull-out at falls creek. So why risk the lives of other people? Despite you efforts to be a speed demon, my camper, boat and I made it to Anchorage before you.

Please drive safe! It's better to lose a minute of your life, than your life in a minute!

This is a problem trhat I will never understand.

I agree idiots... Headed to soldotna two wks ago guy in a dodge flew past me couldn't make past the other truck jumps in front of me. Wth 5 miles later he was pulled over getting a ticket. Idiot idiots

Default Please be safe!

Please, all of you...NO fish is worth your life ending in a tragic accident! I have drove truck in this state for 15 years and am just appalled at how some folks drive! I now have a HD video camera mounted on the windshield and tape the crazies...I'll be uploading the content to ASP and Youtube and will go to court to testify if asked........Double or triple the fine schedule and use the revenue to increase traffic patrols!

There is no excuse for the stupid behavior described in the first post. I never understand the flying past people that keeps the speed limit and all they have in front of them are rows of cars.

With that said - I understand the passing of cars driving less than the speed limit and I understand the passing of cars that goes up the hill at 55mph and down the hill at 75mph, 50 in the 55 zone and 50 in the 45mph zone......

The cops needs to continue being more active which they have been this year but they need to pull over all dangerous drivers and this includes those that drives below the speed limit with a row of cars behind them and nobody in front which you see during the week.

They also need to ticket the idiots that just randomly stops on the road because there is a goat on the top of the mountain - use a pullout. Stopping on the road and standing right there puts you and everyone else at risk

Quote Originally Posted by mikeak View Post
    this includes those that drives below the speed limit with a row of cars behind them and nobody in front which you see during the week.
    I think the signs say something like if you have 5 or more vehicles behind you that you're holding up, then you must pull over to let them pass. I'd always thought that the sign was for people who were going below the speed limit. But then I was told that it applies to even someone who is going the speed limit. I never understood how that could be right.
    I'm always glad to see troopers out there pulling over the idiots.
    Oh, and if I am going the speed limit, or even if I'm going under the speed limit and can't go faster because of the speed of the people in front of me, and if someone is riding my azz, then I've been known to have my foot ease up ever so slowly off my accelerator pedal.

I'm sure the troopers will be out in force for the start of this weekend with everyoen running home tomorrow loading up and hauling ass. The tesoro out in girdwood is going ot be a mad house. I'm leaving tonight hopefully won;t be to bad.

"With that said - I understand the passing of cars driving less than the speed limit"

I agree with most everything said on this thread but we need to remember that the posted speed limit, is the MAXIMUM speed allowed by law, not what you must drive. Conditions contribute, and bumper to bumper is a condition that could get you ticketed for even traveling UNDER the posted speed limit. (Personal experience...) Not for holding up trafic by driving a little under the limit, but driving too fast for the conditions. (bumper to bumper) IN THE SUMMER!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    "With that said - I understand the passing of cars driving less than the speed limit"

I agree with most everything said on this thread but we need to remember that the posted speed limit, is the MAXIMUM speed allowed by law, not what you must drive. Conditions contribute, and bumper to bumper is a condition that could get you ticketed for even traveling UNDER the posted speed limit. (Personal experience...) Not for holding up trafic by driving a little under the limit, but driving too fast for the conditions. (bumper to bumper) IN THE SUMMER!
    True, but driving 45 in a 55 zone, in clear dry conditions and allowing traffic to back up behind you is in fact causing an unsafe situation in that you are impeding traffic and will also get you ticketed.

Simple, if there is no one immediately in front of you and there is a line of five or more cars behind you then you need to pull over and let them pass regardless of the speed you are traveling.

Let them pass and allow the troopers to handle the speed limit enforcement! If you are impeding 5 or more cars now you are the one breaking the law instead of the other guy!

Think of it like this, you aren't doing it for the tailgater you are doing it for the family in the oncoming lane that may be killed by the idiot trying to pass you! Regardless of legal fault I have a hard time believing that there are many people out there who would sleep good at night knowing they could have made a choice that would have saved a child's life.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Simple, if there is no one immediately in front of you and there is a line of five or more cars behind you then you need to pull over and let them pass regardless of the speed you are traveling.

Let them pass and allow the troopers to handle the speed limit enforcement! If you are impeding 5 or more cars now you are the one breaking the law instead of the other guy!

Think of it like this, you aren't doing it for the tailgater you are doing it for the family in the oncoming lane that may be killed by the idiot trying to pass you! Regardless of legal fault I have a hard time believing that there are many people out there who would sleep good at night knowing they could have made a choice that would have saved a child's life.
    Even though I never find myself in this situation and if I did I would let cars pass (do it all the time when driving the RV) I completely disagree with this claim that if you are driving the speed limit and have five cars behind you and nobody in front you are violating the law. You are NOT impeding those five drivers. The law is impeding those five drivers.

Now that wasn't the point of the thread. The point was safe driving. I have never ever seen anyone getting a ticket for slowing people down. I have been behind RV's doing 45 through the 55 zone all the way from the russian down to Sterling with no way to get past. As soon as you get to Sterling you get the two lanes BUT speed limits at 45 and of course the RV keeps going 45 and often speed up as you now have two lanes. People not thinking go flying by to not get stuck behind the inconsiderate driver and BOOM there is the Sterling police waiting for them.

Drive safe, pass in the right areas when there is room and be considerate and use pull-outs. It would calm down the idiots that are responsible for a lot of the unsafe speeding and passing.

AND DON'T JUST STOP ON THE FREAKING HIGHWAY BECAUSE YOU FEEL LIKE IT. I wish we could have a tourist fine just for stopping on the highway because someone spotted what could be a goat on top of the mountain. Then their kids are running around out there while they are glued to looking for this stupid goat....Use the pullout.......

Heck 2 weeks ago someone stopped on a bridge in town because they missed their exit about dimond area. Just stopped in the left lane on Seward highway 65mph I was driving the RV, boat and RV behind me..........are you kidding me??????