Thread: Skilak to Bings Landing - Floating & Fishing

Default Skilak to Bings Landing - Floating & Fishing

Hey gang the new plan for the weekend is to take our new Canoe and float from the outlet of Skilak to Bings Landing. Story is it is a pretty easy 12 mile float. Has anyone done this float and would it be okay (safe) for intermediate canoers to do. We were going to rent a raft but they are all sold out.

That aside I/We are very interested in getting into some fishing along there. I have fished the Russian and a few spots on the Kenai that a friend took us to but have never had to choose/hnt a spot on our own. Any suggestions of things to look for along that area that would be good and/or particular twists/turns in that river that we might be able to spot and stop at to fill our freezers?

The Mother-In-Law will be doing her first ever Salmon fishing so the more success I can have the easier it will be on all of us (you know in-laws, lol)

Crossing skilak in a canoe alone is not wise.....12 miles on the mid river is a long ass trip. Especially when you have never done it....Then try to fish, plus a balzillion and a half powerboats waking the hell out of the river.....I say no...Not trying to be mean or evil but this is not a good idea
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Crossing skilak in a canoe alone is not wise.....12 miles on the mid river is a long ass trip. Especially when you have never done it....Then try to fish, plus a balzillion and a half powerboats waking the hell out of the river.....I say no...Not trying to be mean or evil but this is not a good idea
    Agreed....and you better know where Bings is at, because if you miss it, you'll be going thru Naptown Rapids. Not doable in a canoe.

Interesting replies and thanks for the opinions guys. We actually were going to rent a "raft' but they were booked out. The same company also offers Canoe rentals and has a "popular canoe trips" section and it lists this area for a float. We may just scratch the whole thing and just bank fish somewhere. Sad though as I hoped getting a float in might give the mom-in-law a chance to see some of the river away from super-crowds. Is there any stretch of the Kenai that might be good for canoeing and fishing??? or should we just plan on bank fishing and touring that way.

You can do it in a canoe no problem. As long as the lake is calm the rest of the trip is cake. I have a friend who floated it in a kayak on one trip and a 12' boat with oars and 90 mph winds. Watching him cross the lake with four foot breakers was crazy but he did it.

We did it in 2009. I wouldn't think the river would be an issue, but the lake can rise up pretty quick. When we started to cross, things were pretty good, by the time we made it we were in rolling 3-4 footers. In the rafts it was no problems, couple guys were pretty excited................nice way of saying scared.... :-)

On this video our trip across starts at 2:50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owk9YJkTqss

As said above - becareful on the lake - it is a killer.
    It is a long float - espically if you're going to fish too.
    Do NOT go past Bings Landing or we'll be reading about you on the front page of the paper. And in the obituaries.

If you are comfortable navigating the hundred-or-so boat wakes you will encounter, can get out of the lake and into the river safely and don't fall asleep at the wheel and drift past Bings, you should be fine. I have been from the lake to bings many times and aside from a few sweepers on outside bends it is slow moving, peaceful and beautiful. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of danger to be had taking this trip in a canoe. I would do it in a heartbeat with one of my slim and agile fishing buddies but I wouldn't dream of taking my mother-in-law on that excursion. I wouldn't even trust her to stand along a steep bank flipping, let alone help keeping the canoe upright in a pinch.

As far as fishing, you will want to stop along the banks where the current runs strong right along shore and flip for reds or take fly gear and work some of the gravel bars around the inside of bends (if you can find elbow room) for reds. You probably won't spend much time actually fishing out of the canoe unless you are trout fishing. The steep bank just below Dots/Kenai Keys is a great place to flip if you can squeeze in. The river is chock full of reds now and many of the good fishing spots are sure to be shoulder to shoulder with anglers.

I do this with my drift boat, and as been stated, only do it if the lake is calm and the forecast is good. However that can all change fast on the lake, so be prepared to hit shore (andspend the night possibly) if it does. Wear a life jacket at all times, and if something happens, it is too late to put it on. The rest of the float is very nice and fun. As with any canoe, attention to the water and everything else is adament. It is easy to see bings, so missing it woudl be very hard to do!

On a Humor note: A good trip to take of any Mother-in-law issues!!!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Is there no where to launch in Dots/Kenai Keys?

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Is there no where to launch in Dots/Kenai Keys?
    You can launch at Dots.
    I often do it in the fall when fishing for silvers.