Thread: dipnetting report / safety

Default dipnetting report / safety

Dipped on July 17 from 11:30 to 6:30. Two nets going and managed 9 fish. Really slow. The boat traffic was absolutely insane, especially at low tide. TONS of boats in a small channel ripping up and down the river. The number of boats was way more than I would have guessed for a Tuesday. This weekend will be even worse.

Saw one boat swamped with many other boats around helping to pull people and coolers from the water. Hope everyone is alright. Be safe out there. It is a mad house. Please wear your PFD. We saw one 12 year old kid dipping with no life jacket on. Not sure what his parents were thinking.

The city boat launch is now closing the ramp for two hours before and after low tide. It looked like long waits to get boats in or out. Kenai landing is charging $40 to launch and park and the ramp is closed for a longer amount of time during low tide.

Hopefully some more fish will start moving in.

I went today (weds the 18th), to the south shore of the Kenai mouth. Didn't catch a thing. Stood there for most of the tide coming in during the afternoon. Very few people were snagging them and half the time they were these weird flat fish with striped tail fins. Never seen that before.

Default flounder

Flounder are pretty common down there. I CNR'm, except for a 2 footer that I gave to a very appreciative kid next to me.

I was there from 6:30 a.m to 4:00 p.m. in a boat with two nets in the water all the time. We landed 15 total. I heard that F&G did an "emergency opening" for the commercial fleet starting in the morning that day. (I don't know that to be factual, but it sounded like the person who told me found the info on F&G's website). That would explain the sudden drop in fish numbers. A lot of boaters with big boats and big engines were creating big wakes that are dangerous at worst and darned unpleasant at best. The boats make bigger wakes when they aren't on step, and it is kind of scary going fast enough to get the boats on step, especially during the low tide period when the river is so much narrower. I don't know if there is a good answer to this kind of problem, except that we all need to be considerate of each other, and wear our life vests at all times!!!

Default Allocation issue, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsunfun View Post
    I heard that F&G did an "emergency opening" for the commercial fleet starting in the morning that day. (I don't know that to be factual, but it sounded like the person who told me found the info on F&G's website). That would explain the sudden drop in fish numbers.
    I believe you're right, but understating it. It looked to me like the fleet went out and fished all day Mon, Tue, AND Wed. I heard on the fish hotline (262-9611) that the purpose of allowing the fleet out that often was to prevent a (bad) glut of salmon from entering the mouth - what? in one to three more days from now?

And yet the weekend beach numbers were up there, despite weather that dampened body in addition to spirit for many.

Then, as soon as the twice a week (normally) fleet hits it 3 times in three days, I see record highs of dipnetters and (compared to the weekend's numbers) record lows in number of dipped fish (both from shore and boat; they both suffered very poor days).

I'm not a biologist, but I don't believe in this being a coincidence.

I was on the south beach Wednesday, July 18th and we managed 3 fish in 12 hours. I saw very few fish hauled to shore all day. From now on I will NOT DIPNET when a commercial opener is on. Too bad I had already put in for my vacation that day. They pretty much shut down the fishery.

Fished Tuesday, July 17 from 10:30 AM until about 4:30 PM from a boat with 2 nets. We put 17 reds in the boat.

Fished Wednesday July 18, from 1:30 PM until 6 PM from a boat with 2 nets. We put 6 fish in the boat.

Been a slow couple of days. Commercial drifters were out both days, but setnetters are closed. We thought that maybe with the setnetters closed, and the restriction on the drift fleet to be at least 1 mile from the shore line(1.5 miles south of the Kenai River), that a few more would get through, but it wasn't to be.

Commercial guys get to fish until 7 PM Today, however, I believe that the 36 hour mandatory window applies to the drift fleet also, and that should go into effect at 7 PM tonight, meaning no fishing for the commercial boats until at least 7 AM Saturday morning. With OTF numbers being strong the past few days, that may make for some good Friday and Saturday fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsunfun View Post
    A lot of boaters with big boats and big engines were creating big wakes that are dangerous at worst and darned unpleasant at best. The boats make bigger wakes when they aren't on step, and it is kind of scary going fast enough to get the boats on step, especially during the low tide period when the river is so much narrower. I don't know if there is a good answer to this kind of problem, except that we all need to be considerate of each other, and wear our life vests at all times!!!
    Don't find the waves to be a problem at all. It's a blast if yah ask me. Down at the mouth on the north bank (when the tides is either going out or coming in), hundreds of big boat wakes, the shallow sections with break waves, and a little bit of wind. You couldn't ask for a more exciting netting experience. When your bow is below the height of the next oncoming wave......fun fun. Love it, it puts a grin on my face. The faster a big boat blazes by.......the better.

What's the big problem, was how slow the netting was.......where are all the darn fish to go with the madness and fun?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    Commercial guys get to fish until 7 PM Today, however, I believe that the 36 hour mandatory window applies to the drift fleet also, and that should go into effect at 7 PM tonight, meaning no fishing for the commercial boats until at least 7 AM Saturday morning. With OTF numbers being strong the past few days, that may make for some good Friday and Saturday fishing.
    The mandatory windows only apply to the set net fishery:
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho.../129695867.pdf