Thread: New to the duck side of the house but got a new bird dog and want to get my feet wet.

Default New to the duck side of the house but got a new bird dog and want to get my feet wet.

Hey all just looking for some advice as I am new to waterfowl hunting but figured since i missed out on 90% of bear season, will miss moose season and caribou thanks to sitting in afghanistan I would try my luck on waterfowl. I recently bought a new dog (english pointer trained by jared moss at bestgundogs.com) and would love to get my feet wet mainly to get the dog up to speed for bird hunting. He already has about 6 months of training under Jared Moss and from what Jared has told me he should be very eager to get back into the field and get his first taste of Alaskan Feather. If anyone can give me some pointers other than what I have been reading that would be stellar as well as if someone has a bird dog or two how plans on doing some bird hunting with, would it be possible to tag along with my pup and see if some experience could be rubbed off on Cowboy.

Thanks for the info in advance

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Is it a pointer or a retriever? Usually pointers aren't used for waterfowling. Ducks don't hold for a dog on point, and pointers don't do marsh at 25 degrees... You could hunt ptarmigan and grouse with a pointer though.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

if you will be deployed and miss moose and caribou season, you will also miss duck season (sept 1-freeze up) you best bet would be to go up towards petersville rd and walk around looking for partridge or grouse, i thing season for them opens i august, check the reg book. nice looking dog, but not a duck dog, good luck, Bud
    Wasilla

Opens Friday, Aug 10. I'm thinking of getting off the road this year. Last year, everything on the road was wiped out 2 weeks prior to season opener. But yeah, you're right, upland bird season (small game season) typically opens a week ahead of gun season for big game.

Thanks for the advice I should be back mid October 2012 if all goes as planned. I was thinking about the Ptarm, grouse hunts way out on petersville rd in the mining area (went there last year during moose season but pretty much everything was already moved on and outward). I was more in the mindset of retrieval as I do know a few areas up near FBX that has quite a bit of canadian goose in some open fields (thus why I was going that route). But thank you all for the heads up I do appreciate it.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    Thanks for the advice I should be back mid October 2012 if all goes as planned. I was thinking about the Ptarm, grouse hunts way out on petersville rd in the mining area (went there last year during moose season but pretty much everything was already moved on and outward). I was more in the mindset of retrieval as I do know a few areas up near FBX that has quite a bit of canadian goose in some open fields (thus why I was going that route). But thank you all for the heads up I do appreciate it.
    If your dog knows how to retrieve a bird after it's shot, then it will also know how to retrieve a duck after it's shot. I've known plenty of pointers that are used to hunt ducks as well. It all depends on how you work him.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

That late in the year, your dog probably won't be able to handle the cold water very long. It's not unheard of for people to use pointers for ducks though.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!