Thread: Ski-Doo 600 Ace

Default Ski-Doo 600 Ace

I searched the forum and found one thread about the Ski-Doo 600 Ace motor. I am 95% certain that I am going to buy one this fall in the Ski-Doo Expedition sport configuration. My only question is, how does the engine handle loads while towing. I will preface this by saying that I will be coming off a 1996 Skandic 500. I have never had problems pulling whole moose out with this sled and just don't want to be disappointed with the 600 ace motor.

Thanks

I have a 2011 expedition sport 600 ACE.
    It is the same speed and power as my 2008 tundra 550f.
    I love my ACE.
    I would think it would do you just fine.
    Lots of info on Dootalk.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thanks Kasil,

I have been going cross-eyed on Dootalk reading threads and like you said, lots of good info. The one thing I could never find was how they pulled. You response just pushed me up to 100% on buying it. Thanks again.

looks like a great engine...and if you crave the hp you can turbo one of them aswell...

saint nick3,
    Pulling (vs speed) is a function of gearing and clutching. The Expedition is more a utility machine and should do fine stock but you can always have a local sled shop (or you can do it) make gearing/clutching adjustments tailored to your needs. That 600 has plenty of grunt.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I have a '12 Skandic with the 600 ACE in it and it gets used for trapping and hunting and have had no problems at all towing heavy loads. The Skandic has the high and low gear selector so that may make some difference but i could easily tow a few thousand lbs on a good trail with no issues at all. I love mine and would highly recommend it to anyone.

Skidoo nailed it with the skandic

Can the Ace start at 40 below with no trickle charger or heater? If so, 60 hp is plenty for slow pulling of anything you need IMO. A utitlity machine would be well served with that motor IF it can start without any special help. That motor is relatively light too, and looks like it don't require expensive injection oil/premium fuel like the 600 etec. I hope it works out, and I hope it evolves into something good.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Can the Ace start at 40 below with no trickle charger or heater? If so, 60 hp is plenty for slow pulling of anything you need IMO. A utitlity machine would be well served with that motor IF it can start without any special help. That motor is relatively light too, and looks like it don't require expensive injection oil/premium fuel like the 600 etec. I hope it works out, and I hope it evolves into something good.
    I couldn't say about my ACE starting at -40* without help. The coldest I have run mine at was -17 and in that case it started a lot better than my 550F 2 stroke machine.
    They say they have tested them to -40 at the factory but we all know how factory figures go . Every manufacturer will fudge the numbers a bit or run a biased test to get the figures they use for advertising and such.
    I like that mine is really fuel efficient almost twice as efficient as my 550F. I like the lack of 2 stroke smell. I like how quiet it is above 35 mph and I often hear more wind noise than engine noise. It scares you at first because you hear track noises you never heard before. made me think I had problems because I was hearing normal track noises I never could hear over the noise of a 2 stroke motor.
    No injection oil is also another big plus. And mine has not used any engine oil in the 750-1000 or so miles I have on it.
    And yes it is only 20 pounds or so heavier than the exact same sled with the 550F 2 stroke motor of similiar horsepower.
    If you are ever down this way this winter Mainer send me a pm and I will let you test drive my 600 ACE machine.
    I have been tempted to buy another ACE for the fiancee but she doesn't mind the 550F Tundra and all are paid off so I think I will keep the machines I have for now.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Thanks for the invite. Likewise, I hope to have about two or three remote ice houses set up, All up north. So if you do get a three or four days off, You're more n welcome to call one of those shacks home for a couple days. That'd be a more appropriate test for your machine, is to get it started in the morning at 40 below so we can check the burbot sets n get set up for the early morning Laker window.

There are several ACE users on dootalk that have used their sleds at -40 and possibly even colder and I can not recall any of them talking about starting issues but I could be wrong.

I got off the phone with BRP and I asked them about cold starting and running.... Emily at BRP says use a heater for -25 or greater and be careful not to run it hard at -50 or greater.......

Looks you might need to bring a little generator. Times are changing fast.

its a direct injected engine i would assume it starts no problem...just let it warm up and pull the track up and blurp the throttle to get the track movin...