Thread: motor size for a cat on the kenai

Default motor size for a cat on the kenai

I have a 16 foot NRS CAT and would like to take it to the kenai to dipnet. Problem is I only have access to a 5 horse 4 stroke.

This seems a little light for the boat gear fish and four people. I think it may push us up but REALLY REALLY slow. Thoughts????? what do you think the minimum motor size is for that part of the river?

thanks all

Best way to put it is a great oarsman is around 3HP and maybe a burst of 4ish... so 5HP... tho' in actuality way more power, (read as) strength and endurance over the day long --- is not much thrust or a pusher at aprox 5-7 mph. On 16' and longer/larger-tube cats also think Long-shaft motors.

Last weekend I saw a 16-18ft cataraft dipping. 3 people, tubs of fish, five foot nets, 40hp Evinrude E-tec!!! It was awesome! That guy was ripping up stream faster than most of the other boaters with minimum bow splash. Must have been a sweet floor setup he was running. Every time we passed him up, my buddy and I just shook our heads and exclaimed "Only in Alaska!" What I'm getting at is with a proper floor, and weight distribution, you could run a big motor.
    I have been running my power traveler dipping the Kenai for the past 3 years with an 8hp long shaft, and got it done, just not quickly. The most common motor on any inflatable I have seen is in the 20hp range.
    If I were you, and running a 5hp, I would stay up by Warren Ames bridge, and not venture down with the big boys.

thanks for the relpy.... I figured as much. My budget does not allow me to buy the motor I want at this time but it would sure be nice. CJ what does the floor set up have to do with motor size?????? I will probably start the search for a 20 HP motor but will have to clear it with the family accountant first.

Default floor explanation

When a cataraft is put under power, the two tubes create a wake, which converge under you. This creates a geyser effectly under you and your passengers. A search on this forum will show you what I mean. Most users without a solid floor complain of soggy bottoms when traveling above 5mph or so.
    Hope that helps. I would work on your floor system so you are prepared when you get the scratch for the motor you are looking at.
    Colby Jack

message deleted.