Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: very thick custom impellers for sportjet and jetcraft j-max

Default very thick custom impellers for sportjet and jetcraft j-max

was checking to see if there is any need for a custom thick cast s/s impeller for the sportjet and the j-max with the 140 and 160hp engines. we already have made custom super thick impellers for some of the other smaller jet pumps we use. these work so well that after 3 years of running shallow water and pumping alot of sand/gravel we still have not had to repair 1 so far. if we get enough interest in these other impellers we will start casting these up also. we could offer them in the pitch that works best in your boat for the hunting and hauling big loads

we did have a call a few weeks back from alaska about these impellers so there must be a cpl guys out there that could use a super thick and very strong impeller in those boats the more that we have cast up the lower the price would be for these. so if you are now just using the stock style impeller and having to rebuild or replace them every year this could save you alot of money in a short amount of time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would buy one for my 200HP Sportjet. Is performance the same with a thicker impeller? I would think something would change...

M.

yes will perform very well and last much longer pumping gravel

I'm in, have three of the fragile ones now...of course they are all bunged up. I would love one with more meat. I have the 160hp J-Max.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds awesome. I just had a new Solas highscew impellor (and a stainless sleeve) put in my sportjet and that sucker runs like a champ. Pops the boat out of the water in a boat and a half length and I can get up to 41 mph @ 5400 rpms. Very impressed with it. Does anyone else have a Solas highscew? Any pros/cons of it... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

hi bob ,
    i think you will find that the solas impeller works very well for getting to boat on step it will not last very long in shallow running were you would be pumping alot of sand/gravel/stones. they are just to thin to last with that type of use.
    you must have a sport jet if you had to have a liner installed.

if any body on here could give some real world results of the impellers that they are using in there sport jet or there jmax yamaha jet pump. i think id would be nice to see just how well they do hold up in the extreme shallow when pumping alot of trash

i know when we run a scott pump up on the north slope we were pumping stones all day long every day for 10 days strait will no problem at all. when i got home back in montana i took the impeller out to see how much wear it did have and found that there was not only no signs of wear but that even most of the paint was still on it. the scotts are close to 1/4" thick and this is what we are having some of the other impellers cast up to with very good results.
    we are looking into casting up other types of impellers like the sport jet and the jmax if we can get enough people that feel this would be a good impeller for there boat also. the thing is the cost to set up for this is very high so if there is not enough interest in this we will just cast the impellers for the the pumps we are already doing now.

bob that performance that you are getting with that solas impeller is very close the the same performance we are getting with a 2.4L ecotec [ 175 hp ] and a scott 751 jet pump. i do think we are doing it with alot less fuel burn rates then the sport jet.
    i just got back from a 70 mile run last nite and i burned 11 gallons of fuel. this was running with with just 2 guys full fuel tank and just playing on the river on a very nice summer day. the big load in the boat was 2 very big jack russell dogs 1 is 18 lds. and the other puppy is all of 10 lbs. so im thinking that the 2 of them is close to a boned out moose lol

thanks for for pix 1875XA. that just proves that those impellers really do not hold up to extreme shallow running. that does look like alot of wear in a short time when running shallow. how many impellers do you do have to buy and or repair in a boating season ?

here is a cpl pix to show a scott after running the ivishak for 10 days and 1 of our thick impellers we cast up for a little 6" jet unot we use.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Holy christ!!! I hope mine don't look like that in a week. Im guna just run lakes if thats the case... ha ha ha... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by 1875XA View Post

The Solas High Skew is much thicker then the merc and should hold up well. When I get a chance I'll measure them and let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    The Solas High Skew is much thicker then the merc and should hold up well. When I get a chance I'll measure them and let you know.
    if his solas looks like that after pumping a little gravel for only 1 week im thinking its not as thick as you are thinking
    so it would be nice to see what you come up with after you measure it

Quote Originally Posted by jbm View Post
    if his solas looks like that after pumping a little gravel for only 1 week im thinking its not as thick as you are thinking
    so it would be nice to see what you come up with after you measure it
    The solas in the picture isn't the SPJ high skew. When we get some in, I'll and post a pic. They are significantly thicker and for less then $500 bucks a much better deal and perform well.

not sure $500 is a good for an impeller that is not thick enough to hold up to pumping sand/gravel/trash

maybe somebody that has a sport jet and runs a HS solas impeller can chime in with some real world results of how the hold up to this type of shallow jet boating

jbm- tried to PM you your mailbox is full. I have 3 impellers. I usually run about 40 days a year and I change one time. With that said I deal with a lot of cavitation issues. I am tempted to go back to the stock impeller. I have some other questions but would rather ask you in a PM. Please PM me when your inbox is receiving messages again.

Quote Originally Posted by jbm View Post
    not sure $500 is a good for an impeller that is not thick enough to hold up to pumping sand/gravel/trash

maybe somebody that has a sport jet and runs a HS solas impeller can chime in with some real world results of how the hold up to this type of shallow jet boating
    JBM, as I stated the Solas is much thicker then the stock merc impeller, I'll measure it when we get the next one in but it appeared to be at lest 1.5-2 times thicker. The biggest advantage to the merc HS is the leading edge which pass trash and gravel by with less chance of damaging the leading edges. The solar has leading edges that are a cross between to standard merc impeller and the HS. Bob the Fisher is running one and so far likes the performance, know Bob on the Rock , I'm sure will get some realtime feedback by summers end.

Ya buddy, you know thats right. That new Solas Highscrew is the %&it... Popps that boat on step real quick and has lots more torque than the stock impellor. I think it is better than new... "fishon"

Just received the Solas High Skews that were on back order and had a chance to measure the blade thickness. The solas is .075 thick. The merc blades are .035 thick. I would assume the solas should provide a longer service life between rebuilds.

.o35 and .075 holly crap i can see why those things do not stand up to pumping sand and gravel at all
    we have impellers cast up to over .300 thick. im not that good and math but it looks like our thick blades are almost 10 times thicker

jbm,
    Did you ever come up with a price and/or availability of impellers for the Mercury sport jet.

Rob
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

yep we have done all the checking for the cost of the molds and we would have to get orders for 20-25 impellers just the cover the cost of the molds. the cost per impeller would have to be around $700 each. i was thinking there would be alot more guys on here that would upgrade to a much stronger longer lasting impeller but there has been very little interest . so for no we will not cast any up and just stick with the impellers that we are already casting up for the inboard jet pumps that we are already using.

i was shock to see that last post showing just how weak those j-max and sport jet impellers are..035 - .075 thats not any better then your average water craft. i can see why there are so many sport jets on the braided rivers with impellers that are failing them.
    but i see that they would rather just keep buying new ones or having theres repaired all the time. cost wise 1 of our thicker custom cast impellers would pay for its self in the first year . plus the added insurance that it will not leave you stranded on the river would make it worth every penny.

if after this hunting season and guys see just how bad there stock impellers really are maybe the custom thick impeller will make sence. i would love to take any body out for a test drive with 1 of these impellers that is from .240-.320 thick and show them how well they pump trash with no damage . then let them run there stock or a solas .075 up the same run and see just how well theres does. that right there would sell many impellers after that test.

if i could find somebody to do some testing there in alaska with a custom thick impeller and start a tread to report how well it did i would be willing to send them a new impellers at my cost for the testing. it would be nice to test 1 in a sport jet and 1 in a j-max
    and report how well there stock impeller held up then run the thick impeller and report back on that as well.i can not do the testing here as i do build any boats with the sport jet set up and know nobody with a j-max anywhere around here to do the testing in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast