Thread: Air getting into fuel line?

Default Air getting into fuel line?

Have a 2-stroke Tohatsu kicker connnected to a portable gas tank. Last weekend the kicker seemed to be having problems getting fuel, and it's always run fine before then. I'm thinking maybe air getting into the line. For quite some time now, I've noticed that when I squeeze the bulb that some fuel will seep out from the fitting where it connects to the kicker. Normal? Do the o-rings in the hose fittings go bad and where would I find a replacement o-ring? Could be a bulb problem I suppose. Would rather not replace the entire hose, fittings, and bulb if I can help it but will do that if nothing else works. Thanks.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Those o-rings definitely wear out over time. I've always just replaced the fitting rather than try and repair it.

Best to replace hose and fittings they wear out, and you will likely see idle and lo speed issues.

If the motor is starving and you pump the ball and then it runs good you can conclude there is an air leak. If you are leaking fuel there you're most likely leaking air there too. Start there and work your way back to the tank.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

AK2AZ has good advice to diagnose. Pump the ball and if the problem goes away then its an air leak. If its a leak around the connector then just replace the connector. A whole hose is expensive and connectors are cheap.

Agree with the above advice. I want to add that if you are using premixed fuel, starving the engine of fuel also means starving it of lubrication. I understand that this is the most common failure cause of two stroke engines.

Yes, the o-rings can crack and cause you to loose your prime which will result in your engine dying. There should be no fuel leaking at the fuel line connection.

Hose doesn't have to be expensive, you can get fuel bulb hose assy for $20-30 if yours needs to be replaced.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

On my old boat I would always have to prime the bulb to use my passenger side tank. To make a long story short one trip I fueled up and headed out of town. Getting ready to put the boat in the water I smelled has and figured I had overfilled the tank and it was just venting. I happened to drop something into the bilge and only then discovered 3" of fuel in the bottom of the boat!

Turned out the hose was cracked at the fuel filter, probably had a pinhole the entire time I was having problems keeping that tank primed. I got lucky that time even after ignoring multiple warnings that something was not right.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Make sure younever put Heet in your boat gas. It will eat your gas lines in a hurry andcause all sorts of problems.

I ran my kicker on the muffs the other day to flush out the saltwater. Never got the engine higher than idle speed (because it was on the muffs), but the engine never had any problems. I think that I will need to take the kicker out on the water and run up the rpms to see what happens. Of course, that'll be the time that I really need the kicker for something important!