Thread: Advice on Small Boat (17' Stryker) Salt Fishing (Kenai Peninsula) Needed

Default Advice on Small Boat (17' Stryker) Salt Fishing (Kenai Peninsula) Needed

Hello Everybody, as you can see this is my first post here. Great forum!

Every season a friend and I come and spend a couple weeks silver/trout fishing on the middle Kenai river. We have a house, truck and boat there and, now that we have spent a few years learning to fish the Kenai river I'd love to get out and do some saltwater fishing for Halibut, Cod, Salmon, ect.

The boat is a typical Kenai river boat, 17.5' Alumaweld Stryker with 50 hp Yamaha. I know it isn't ideal for saltwater fishing and I am looking for some advice on areas that we might be able to use it to safely access some decent saltwater fishing?

I am a very experienced boater and saltwater fisherman but all of my experience has been garnered in Florida waters, a far cry from the cold and rocky waters of AK. Any advice that might get us pointed in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!

(Historically we have always come the second half of August, this year we are coming late Sept. Early Oct.)

Deep Creek, Seward, PWS, Homer, and Valdez are all places I have run the exact same boat but with a 115/80 jet vs. the 50 hp prop you are running.
    BK

I would add stay away from the beaches unless you have guides on the trailer. Other wise you might find your boat not lined up right on the trailer. Otherwise those are all good places to salt fish from.

Thanks for the advice. Of the aforementioned areas is there one somebody might recommend above the others for a first trip? I'm thinking about a spot that is reasonably protected and not too long a run to productive water. Since we will be fishing late Sept. early Oct. this year I would imagine that feeder kings/rockfish/cod might be the primary targets maybe with the hope of finding some eater halibut?

If you drop and drift anywhere within eye-shot of Homer harbor you should be able to get some halibut eventually. Kings will be fairly close as well. Shoot for water between 70-150'.

Keep in mind the afternoon winds bring some chop and rollers even on the best days and avoid the end of the spit when the current and wind are conflicting. Also I would add that the months of Sept/Oct can make for some rough seas...use all the information available to make an educated decision about when, where, and how far to go. Use your head and fear is good.

I had my buddy follow me out in his 18' Smokercraft a few weeks ago and we stayed within 10 miles just because of what the water will do in the afternoon. He was greatful we weren`t farther out when the wind started to blow.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Yeah, I would stay away from a beach launch unless you REALLY know what you're doing. It can be very hazardous and possibly life threatening if you don't know what you're doing.

Your best bet is going to be either Seward or Homer where you can launch and retrieve in a safe harbor, and personally I think Homer is going to be your best bet. There are winter kings to be had not more than 3 miles from the harbor (Lancashire Rock to Anisom Pt., off of Yukon Is. and a few other spots) and good sized halibut no more than about 10 to 12 miles out. We got these today (one was 36 lbs. and the other 28 lbs.) just about 12 miles out:
    36 and 28lb 7-17-12.jpg
    And as AK2AZ says it is possible to pick smaller ones up not that far out from the harbor.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Thanks again for the advice. It sounds like late September/early October isn't really a very good time of year for saltwater fishing, if we do head out to the salt what would you recommend targeting?

Quote Originally Posted by KenaiKeys View Post
    Thanks again for the advice. It sounds like late September/early October isn't really a very good time of year for saltwater fishing, if we do head out to the salt what would you recommend targeting?

well I guess that all depends on what you want to catch…….that time of year can be good at all of the mentioned places. Personally I like seward, or homer, whittier seems to be rough more times then not, not to mention they nickel and dome you every place you have to pay for some thing, tunnel, boat launch, parking……….you name it and they charge and arm and a leg for it.

Its always sh*ttier in whittier!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Actually, as I said but probably didn't emphasize, it's a GREAT time of year to be fishing for winter kings in Homer. In fact all winter is a great time to be out on "the salt" chasing winter kings. Usually you only have to go about 3 miles or so from the harbor to find them and there are always halibut around. Albeit not in big numbers like during the summer, but they're there if you try hard enough.

I haven't gotten to do any feeder/winter king fishing yet, I think we'll have to give it a try! Time to start searching for tips on fishing tactics for this type of fishing. Is it primarily a trolling fishery? Any tactical tips?

I haven't gotten to do any feeder/winter king fishing yet, I think we'll have to give it a try! Time to start searching for tips on fishing tactics for this type of fishing. Is it primarily a trolling fishery? Any tactical tips?
    Yeah, winter kings are totally a troll fishery. If you want to contact me directly about this I'd be more than happy to give you tips on where and how it is that I find is the best way to do it. If you click on my "signature" at the bottom of my post you'll find my email address and you're welcome to email me directly.

Thanks a million, message sent...