Thread: S&W 629 5" : current production

Default S&W 629 5" : current production

Any issues with the above gun in the current production? I'm catching a revolver bug ... *sigh*

My understanding is that the SW500's are made in the Performance Center. Will the 629's have wider tolerances than the 500's ? Should I expect the same level of tolerances?

I own many production guns(amoung these two 629-4s) and only one Performance Shop 500(JRC). I much prefer the production guns.
    Steve

Thanks for the response.
    Anyone else?

I don't own any of the 6xx series, but I spent a bunch of time shopping for and reading up on the 625 (45CL).

In general the 6xx has a solid reputation as an excellent pistol in all respects save one. The only thing, the "price" that comes with the "benefits" of lightweight, easy packing and powerful is they are reputedly easily beaten up and battered out of time when subjected to a steady diet of full power loads.

Just from reading about it, but it makes sense. The 625 for instance should have a more or less infinite life span when loaded to 14,000 psi just like the SA Colts of yore. The 625 "can" handle 20,000 psi loads safely, but 1000 loads in a row at 20k psi will supposedly push the gun out of time.

If you are willing to practice with a 44 Special or "44Special +P" load and then load, sight in and carry full on 44magnum in moose camp ~~from my reading up on them~~ your 629 should last a good long time.

Just another bit of info. I was struggling to find good 'absorbing' grips for my 629 Mountain gun; most do not cover the rear of the grip frame and the web of my hand was taking a beating. Found out that the SW500/460 Grips fit the Rounded grip frame 629s. Bought a set of SW500/460 'Tamer' grips from SW. What a difference in handling and felt recoil. Actually bought the Hunter Orange 'Survival Kit' Tamer Grips. Much easier to find the gun in the tent at night!!

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    Just another bit of info. I was struggling to find good 'absorbing' grips for my 629 Mountain gun; most do not cover the rear of the grip frame and the web of my hand was taking a beating. Found out that the SW500/460 Grips fit the Rounded grip frame 629s. Bought a set of SW500/460 'Tamer' grips from SW. What a difference in handling and felt recoil. Actually bought the Hunter Orange 'Survival Kit' Tamer Grips. Much easier to find the gun in the tent at night!!
    I agree, especially with my 500. Wish they'd make these for square butt S&Ws. While I'm at this, wish they'd make camo rubber grips for my S&W 22A-1, also, to replace those junky plastic things that came on it?
    Steve

Default BS

I've heard it all about the 629s being fragile, "stretched and twisted frames", getting out of time etc. but I certainly didn't see any of that with my 629-3 Classic. i shot many many thousands of heavy rounds including 310 gr loads thru the gun over a period of 20 years and finally sent it back to S&W earlier this year as it had developed a bit of end play in the cylinder and some throat errosion. Out of the hundreds of 29s and 629s I've examined over several decades mine had the most signs of wear; I certainly shot it more that 99+% of owners.

Even after all that shooting S&W fixed the gun for free including shipping both ways and it is ready to go for another 20 years or so.

My advice is to disregard all the BS about 629s not holding up to heavy use. My own 629 is proof and the new ones are even tougher due to a number of engineering and design changes.

Quote Originally Posted by swmn View Post
    I don't own any of the 6xx series, but I spent a bunch of time shopping for and reading up on the 625 (45CL).

In general the 6xx has a solid reputation as an excellent pistol in all respects save one. The only thing, the "price" that comes with the "benefits" of lightweight, easy packing and powerful is they are reputedly easily beaten up and battered out of time when subjected to a steady diet of full power loads.

Just from reading about it, but it makes sense. The 625 for instance should have a more or less infinite life span when loaded to 14,000 psi just like the SA Colts of yore. The 625 "can" handle 20,000 psi loads safely, but 1000 loads in a row at 20k psi will supposedly push the gun out of time.

If you are willing to practice with a 44 Special or "44Special +P" load and then load, sight in and carry full on 44magnum in moose camp ~~from my reading up on them~~ your 629 should last a good long time.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Based on my readings (Patrick Sweeney) and talking with other people, it appears that S&W is improving the 629 and 29 over the years. The latest offerings are using different metallurgy in their raw materials and are supposedly stronger than the older ones.

The one I got was a 5" classic (full lug) and was rolled out of the factory 6/2012. I am glad the trigger and hammer were all made of the traditional forged steel. When I picked it up the very first time, I was a little shocked by its lighter weight compared to my Ruger RH 4" but everything else exceeded my expectations so far.

The revolver shot like a champ in the first 100 rounds of 240gr SWC Hornady. Everything about it seemed rather buttoned down. The cylinder is nice and tight, with almost no play along its axis when unlatched.

BTW, the rubber grip is wrapped all around and the recoil did not do any damage to my palm. I had a pretty large blister in my palm from the Redhawk after 150 rounds without glove. May be the recovery from that blister grew so tougher hide on my palm.

Anyway, the latest 629 ain't bad based on the initial introduction at the range.

S&W has improved the 29/629 design and manufacuringover time - remember that the 29 came out over 50 yrs ago! While Ruger dropped their first .44, S&W continued to refine their design. The first 29s had some issues as did the Rugers- yes, the .44 Blackhawks did have some issues like the ejector housing falling off.

One sign of useage I've noticed on the early 29s is distortion of the yoke - it just doesn't match up with the frame at the front as it does when new. Ruger may have the same issue but with their rather sloppy fitting of the yoke to frame it would not be as obvious. When I sent my 629 back earlier this year they replaced the yoke and it appears to be of a different stainless steel judging from the color.

The second sign of wear is a peening at the front of the frame frome the cylinder axis. I think S&W increased the bearing area at this point but I would need to do a side by side comparison to be sure.

The errosion of the barrel throat and face was a third indication of extensive useage I expererinced. S&W set the barrel back a turn or two and re-did the face and throat again at no charge. I still don't know if Ruger will replace their barrels for free or not.

In any event you will have to shoot your new 629 far far more than the average owner to ever experience any signs of wear and tear. And if you ever experience any issues simply send it back to S&W for a free overhaul.

Shoot away and enjoy your new gun without any fear of hurting it.

Quote Originally Posted by arthury View Post
    Based on my readings (Patrick Sweeney) and talking with other people, it appears that S&W is improving the 629 and 29 over the years. The latest offerings are using different metallurgy in their raw materials and are supposedly stronger than the older ones.

The one I got was a 5" classic (full lug) and was rolled out of the factory 6/2012. I am glad the trigger and hammer were all made of the traditional forged steel. When I picked it up the very first time, I was a little shocked by its lighter weight compared to my Ruger RH 4" but everything else exceeded my expectations so far.

The revolver shot like a champ in the first 100 rounds of 240gr SWC Hornady. Everything about it seemed rather buttoned down. The cylinder is nice and tight, with almost no play along its axis when unlatched.

BTW, the rubber grip is wrapped all around and the recoil did not do any damage to my palm. I had a pretty large blister in my palm from the Redhawk after 150 rounds without glove. May be the recovery from that blister grew so tougher hide on my palm.

Anyway, the latest 629 ain't bad based on the initial introduction at the range.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

By sheer luck, I was trying out the first two powders with this 629 5" and found out that this gun likes the Lil' Gun powder alot; especially, when it is mated with hand cast 250gr Keith style SWC. At 25 ft, I thot it was good but when I shot a paper plate at 50ft, I was pleased by the consistent grouping abilities.

Attachment 61653

Attachment is not working ... again ...

Personally, I'd fine a new load. I get about 5&1/2"x2&1/2' at a little over 16 yards? This gun will do much better than this load or I'd know why, from the factory.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I've heard it all about the 629s being fragile, "stretched and twisted frames", getting out of time etc. but I certainly didn't see any of that with my 629-3 Classic. i shot many many thousands of heavy rounds including 310 gr loads thru the gun over a period of 20 years and finally sent it back to S&W earlier this year as it had developed a bit of end play in the cylinder and some throat errosion. Out of the hundreds of 29s and 629s I've examined over several decades mine had the most signs of wear; I certainly shot it more that 99+% of owners.

Even after all that shooting S&W fixed the gun for free including shipping both ways and it is ready to go for another 20 years or so.

My advice is to disregard all the BS about 629s not holding up to heavy use. My own 629 is proof and the new ones are even tougher due to a number of engineering and design changes.

I think you're kicking a dead horse here? Unless you want to start another S&W vrs Ruger war?
    Steve

Default just a reponse..

My comment was only a reponse to the post by swmn:

"In general the 6xx has a solid reputation as an excellent pistol in all respects save one. The only thing, the "price" that comes with the "benefits" of lightweight, easy packing and powerful is they are reputedly easily beaten up and battered out of time when subjected to a steady diet of full power loads."

Perhaps swmn has an agnda - I don't. I only disagreed with his statment that the subject 629 was " easily beaten up and battered out of time". I guess I should have asked swmn how many S&W 629s he had fired long enough to get those results. As I pointed out I shot mine for over 20 years with heavy loads including 310 gr. bullets before I sent it back to S&W for a free overhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    I think you're kicking a dead horse here? Unless you want to start another S&W vrs Ruger war?
    Steve