Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where are the Re17 fan-boys?

Default Where are the Re17 fan-boys?

Well, I was all set to pick up a couple lbs of IMR4350 to start loading for my 280AI and the new 7mm-08 and the book numbers make this a pretty clear choice for a first powder to try. BUT the internet seems to support trying Re17 as a great alternate to IMR4350 even though there isn't much in the way of info on that load, especially for the 280AI!

First bullets will be 160 and 140 Accubonds. Other options are Barnes and Partitions depending on what they like.

The rifles are a 20" bbl 7mm-08 and a 24" barrel 280AI.

I also have a 325WSM that I already plan to try Re17 in so that is an extra push that direction.

Anyone have any ideas for starting loads? (anyone want to put the #'s through quick-load?) I will be loading in Winchester brass for the 7mm-08 and once fired Nosler factory brass for the 280AI. I have WLR and Fed210 primers on hand.

Alliant has data on the 7mm-08 with the 140 BTSP, I'd reduce 10% and work up.

280 Remington data is available from Alliant- that would give you a starting point.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have posted a ton of load data with R-17 in 325wsm and did work ups for several loads. No short cuts in reloading start low and work up. It is my favorite powder.

Good luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Before data was easily found with RL-17 I worked up 243Win, 30-06, 300WM and 375 Ruger with RL-17 by researching multiple starting loads based on 4350 and 4831 data from several sources. I took the average of the starting charge and worked with traditional practices paying attention to primers, necks, head diameters. Recorded velocities and micrometer measurements were taken along the way. The powder works well and burns clean with very little residue. Velocity gains are real.

There is published data using RL-17 that is starting to show up. Alliant's web site has a fair amount of data as well as a couple of new edition reloading manuals.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloade...aspx?gtypeid=2

I've been using RE-15 for my 260 Rem and when my can of powder runs out I plan on buying RE17. 200 FPS more velocity would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have posted a ton of load data with R-17 in 325wsm and did work ups for several loads. No short cuts in reloading start low and work up. It is my favorite powder.

Good luck

Steve
    I wish someone who has done extensive load work with RL 17 and 325 would post it it would help me out alot... I can only hope.

As state Steve stated his data helped me out tremendously and I setteled on one his loads for the 200gr accubond.

Me I use RL-15 in both the 7mm-08 using a load of 39.0gr of RL 15 with a 140gr Barnes TSX. This is a under max by 2grains, For the 325 I use RL-17 using 66.5grs w/Fed215, Winchester brass, and 200gr accubonds seated at 2.900 (Steve developed this load) I settled on the 2.900. As far as your 280 A.I I know H-4350 was the powder to use back in the day. Remeber this is for your kid not you trust me I had a load of 41.0gr of RL-15 it was nothing to me after the 4th shot my kid was in tears and I felt well like crap. Pulled out the 250 savage and she had a big smile on her face shooting again. So 39.0gr of RL-15 is god to go for her some recoil but no tears.

Good points on keeping in mind that I am not looking to reach maximum potential velocity. I am already on this page but just curious to entertain the potential of having one primary powder for the guns I will be reloading for most. It sure would make it easy to just fill up the chargemaster and start cranking out batches. Heck with the T7 I could have all of them set up in one turret and just crank out several batches of hunting ammo in short order with zero changes in tooling!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    . I am already on this page but just curious to entertain the potential of having one primary powder for the guns I will be reloading for most. It sure would make it easy to just fill up the chargemaster and start cranking out batches.
    Pretty sure you could do that same thing with H4350.

I have no experience with RL-17 but I would suggest that as a relatively new handloader, you should consider starting with a powder that is well proven with lots of established data. You will find a variety of other ways to screw up your loads without being a pressure test dummy at the same time. Double so considering you likely have to make the trek out to Birchwood to test loads.

I know RL-17 is cool and all, but there is a reason that H4350 is so often used that it's "boring"!

That's just my opinion though. Sorry I can't help with data.

Yk

I've been loading 7/08 ammo for my Dad with H414. Pretty much just a ball version of IMR4350, but man oh man, does it flow through the measure. Haven't loaded any 280, AI or otherwise, but a buddy of mine always used IMR4350 in his.

I am curious too and have picked-up some RL 17 to try in the 375 ruger. I am shooting the 250g TTSX with RL15 and have not got the accuracy, but I am still tweaking a bit. I will likely try the RL 17 just to see. I have seen post using 300g TSX bullets, just not the 250g yet.
    How is it in the 35 whelen? I use RL 15 for that too.

If it is close to IMR 4350, then it can be used for a bunch of stuff. I have good loads for the 338 win and 30-06 with 4350. Hmmmm I wonder????

FWIW, I have tried and now switched to RL-17 in my 338-06AI. I am getting considerable velocity gains and the accuracy is excellent. The bullets I tried it with were 210gr and 225gr. Good luck.

I'm using RL-17 in my .300WSM, .270Win., .308Win, and .375 Rug. All with good to excellent results.

I think for most common hunting rounds there is no more versatile powder- there may be better powders for each individual cartridge but loading only one sure simplifies things.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I've tried the R-17 in 7-08 and didn't like the spikes in velocity or vis versa. I couldn't get it to shot as well as the Varget either. I do know that it is a temperature sensitive powder. Shooting at 5 degrees compared to shooting at 70 degrees is quit abit of difference. I experienced a sticky bolt at 70 degrees. I have 2 7-08s & they both shoot varget with great accuracy. A matter of fact if i use a full length size die I can load the same load of varget & berger bullets & shot the load out of either gun with great results. In my mind I'll take the great accuracy over 150 FPS any day. My 2 cents

I've done some load work with RL17 on .308 and a little in 270WSM.
    308 Win: 180 Gr Nosler Partition - 50.5gr RL-17, loaded 2.835", lapua cases, CCI primers - running around 2790fps. Not the tightest group in my rifle, but certainly minute of moose to 300 yards. 24" remington sporter barrel.
    308 Win: 208 Gr Hornady AMax - 48gr RL-17, 3.02", Winchester brass, Winchester primers, needs to go over a chronograph, shoots a little less than an inch at 100. 24" remington sporter barrel - nothing fancy, not trued or worked over. 1-10 twist.

for wide temperature variances it is tough to beat the Hodgdon Extreme series - I'm just beginning to "learn" RL-17 but I have read alot of complaints about RL-19 being rather temp sensitive - Varget is a great powder and so is H-4350

I have factory load data for the 7-08 for speer bullets and since I am not looking for max loads I will probably take that and tone it down then work up for the accubonds. I had set my mind on going with IMR 4350 but couldn't find anything but an 8lb bottle locally. I guess everyone is putting together their hunting loads all of a sudden. Worst case it isn't a good fit for my 280AI or the 7-08 and I just keep it for the 325WSM which there is plenty of data for.

With the increased case capacity of the 280 AI, I honestly feel that the RL 17 is a bit too fast for the long 160 grain accubonds. Reloader 17 would be better for larger bore applications, or maybe light bullets in your 280 AI. You won't reach case capacity before you see signs of excessive pressure, might be ok with the 140 grainers though. Ramshot hunter would be my recommendation to take advantage of the extra case capacity. It is slightly faster than reloader 19, but a bit slower than reloader 17. Don't use 280 Remington data as your baseline, I don't care what Alliant displays for Reloader 17 load data with the 280 Rem. You have substantially increased case capacity with the same small bore, slow that powder choice down just a tad. I've handloaded for a 6.5 mm-06 ackley improved a few years ago, Reloader 19 and Ramshot Hunter gave the best results with cci standard bench rest primers. Magnum primers turned the same handloads to crap, velocity spikes all over the place.

Lujon - have you tried <powder valley inc.com>? I understand the shipping dillemna in AK is unique - I've ordered from powder valley many, many times and they are outstanding to deal with - they handle all components by many different makers and their prices are more than fair

We can't get powder shipped to Alaska.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast