Thread: Db470

Default Db470

Won a tag for DB470.

Have used the search function to no avail on this site.

Welcome any intel on this hunt.

Thanks!

Any luck on that DB470 hunt yet? My son also drew this tag and we've been hunting pretty hard last fall and even harder this spring, but the weather sure isn't cooperating.

FYI, Google can be a help for searching the forum if you tell it to search only this site. For example you could enter this in the search text box:
    Code:
    alaska db470 site:outdoorsdirectory.com
    Looks like a few hits anyway. Good luck!

Never expect much help if you just put up a hunt number. Most are not going to spend the time trying to figure out where the hunt is.... My guess is the DB stands of "Dumb Bunny'wabbits" and I'll guess the 470 refers to some special regulation where-in you must use a .470 NITRO cartridge to harvest the bunnies.................Did I get close.....????

Funny, Ha Ha.

Just to assist the ip db470 is Chugach state park. I am sure there are all kinds of bears out in that permit area. We saw a sow and her cubs playing along the Sterling Highway 2 weeks ago so they have been out a while. Peters creek is the center of your area and a great spot to scout.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I also drew this hunt in DB470 for the 2013 season does anyone have any tips. Was looking at the Peters Creek any suggestions

There's usually one around eklutna lake valley. Along the old glen side

Ok I won't normally give out info like this on the net but they need to be thinned and they don't seem be. Having been a guide in the park one of the best areas for browns is bird creek area. It can be a challenge in the brush but they are there. Check the regs on trails and such. Do your self a favor and just take a walk down the main trail and look at some of the paw prints that cross that trail.. There is a 4 wheeler trail there too. If you have time you can go to the back and get up high and watche for them. There is a good pass back in there too. It's a great tag to have I assure you..

I just come out of the Park yesterday 8/27 after taking my wife in there to hunt her Chugach Park Sheep tag and we saw a set of better than 8 inch pad brown bear tracks over our original tracks going in, she was freaked out, aside from that alot of other smaller black bear tracks all over....however we never saw any bears. PM me .

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Ok I won't normally give out info like this on the net but they need to be thinned and they don't seem be. Having been a guide in the park one of the best areas for browns is bird creek area. It can be a challenge in the brush but they are there. Check the regs on trails and such. Do your self a favor and just take a walk down the main trail and look at some of the paw prints that cross that trail.. There is a 4 wheeler trail there too. If you have time you can go to the back and get up high and watche for them. There is a good pass back in there too. It's a great tag to have I assure you..
    id pm Bear here if i were you...

Where do i catch the main trail in bird creek, Im not really familiar with that area.

Take the Seward highway south about 18 miles south of Anchorage, turn left on Konickson rd and go about a half a mile. There is a big parking lot, park there and take your wheele past the gate and ride as far back as you can them hike from there. The trail goes about 6 miles back. I had this tag when they first opened it up to draws several years ago and saw a good number of bears from the air but they were difficult to find on the ground due to brush. This is a great tag to have, hopefully I'll draw it again one day. Good luck.

It is a great tag, do i need any special permit to ride my atvs for this hunt?

I don't know about atv permits but you can only ride back there as far as the creek crossing . The trail is a little hard to find after that but keep looking on the north side of the creek and like Bear said go to the back end and get high. You will find bears. Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Rmasher View Post
    It is a great tag, do i need any special permit to ride my atvs for this hunt?
    No permit needed for atvs.

I have this permit also, and have been seeing some bears - all of them above 2500 feet though - that was the last couple weekends. I am wondering how this new snow will affect them and their berry eating. Any experience? will the snow push them down or ? I am looking for my first brown bear so need any help I can get.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by rivrat View Post
    I have this permit also, and have been seeing some bears - all of them above 2500 feet though - that was the last couple weekends. I am wondering how this new snow will affect them and their berry eating. Any experience? will the snow push them down or ? I am looking for my first brown bear so need any help I can get.

Thank you
    Why not go up and get one? There's no telling what they will do now that the snow is falling, some might den up high or they might come down and search for more vittles before they den up for the winter. If it were me, I would go up after them.

I have been going up for them - have only seen one boar and I missed my oppurtunity. Kicking myself now, but at least I get to keep hunting! He came down out of the clouds and snow in the evening and fed on the berries while quickly making his way into the wind. I dont know why the king of the mountain moves so fast, but it took me a 1 1/2 miles to intercept him but he was still to far away. Snow level has dropped down the mountain a bit since then so will he go to sleep up there or what? Is there just as many bears down low, just harder to see? I am enjoying the hunt though.

any suggestions would be appreciated - we can hunt bird creek, ship creek, indian, peters, penquin creek almost to girdwood.

thank you