Thread: Whittier conga line

Default Whittier conga line

I guess I've been spoiled by mostly making my boating trips on off days. Launched Friday night and it was not terribly busy, but came back to port Sat a little after 7pm figuring I'd have a kick back time making the 8pm tunnel, then we turned the corner into the harbor.

The boats were jockying in a line from the fuel dock all the way the ramps. I had my daughter drop me off on one of the docks and ski-daddled to get my truck wishing her luck on her fist time bringing the boat into the dock. By the time we were pulling the boat up the ramp it was 8pm. Managed to get the tie down cranked down and headed for the tunnel.

Is this the norm retrieving on weekends? Fishing was very slow, did manage to get my neighbor on his first halibut, but it was the only halibut boated. Managed a few rockfish and several lings but all the lings were too small.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

My few weekend takeouts were not that bad, most I have seen is 5-6 boats holding for spots in the retrieve lanes. I think I would have just tied up in a open slip and waited it out.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I'll second JR2's comment although I haven't been out much this year. I rarely have to jocky while waiting to retrieve, maybe once or twice a year and then it's only a boat or two in front of me. I would have thought Saturday night would have been good. Sunday's early afternoon are the worst in my experience. One reason you might have gotten caught up was the weather forecast for Sunday. If I remember correctly it was something like 25-35kt winds and 5-6 footers. Just thinking everyone might have been trying to get off the water before the storm blew in.

Heck I would get a transient slip in the Harbor and sleep in there for the night just to avoid that kind of a line of boats.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    Heck I would get a transient slip in the Harbor and sleep in there for the night just to avoid that kind of a line of boats.
    For only $23.95 I agree we had fun watching people try to dock and load. I told the wife "SEE I do not feel bad I almost took out the dock " LOL!!!
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I think saturday night had a pretty big rush back in due to the forecast change as PatrickL noted...It went to E 30knots for after midnight saturday. That likely scared-off a bunch of people. We actually came all the back from LaTouche and dropped the pick in Shotgun to prolong the adventure and avoid the harbor crowd. Sunday morning was a painless retrieve.

We were wowwed by a gentleman that came down while we were retreiving...he asked it it was very rough out near Lone Island. Someone told him there were halibut there and he and a friend were going to launch and go. We asked what kind of boat and pointed at a old 18' riverboat with windshield and an 88 horse on the back. We asked if he had listened to the NOAA forecast and he didn`t know what that was. We let him know why we were leaving and also pointed out that Passage Canal was capping and that it was blowing over 25 knots through there....max capability for his boat. He seemed thankful and packed it up and led the way back out of Whittier....smart choice. We figure it had to at least be 5' in Ports Swells by then and IF they made it they would have needed a rescue...good to see people take advice instead of becoming a liability or danger to others.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

They say there are old pilots and the there are bold pilots but you rarely if ever see an old AND bold pilot. I think the same is true on the water. I prefer to grow old so I can come back another day. Sounds like he was a smart gentleman.

Granted I havenít launched from Whittier in a while, but it seems to me that moving all the launch and retrieving operations down to the end has actually made it worse not better. Does the harbor master care?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Came in Saturday and it was the usual goat rope. I'm not sure removing the north launch to get more slips was worth it. Launch and retrieve is definately worse this year. Would be nice if there was a shuttle to the boat yard and back
    On a side note, I got my pots picked by someone on Saturday. Pots were in Poe Bay, so would be wise to keep your pots in site. Whoever did it didn't even leave me a six pack of beer.
    Also, Oysters from Perry island oyster farm are delicious. I would give them a try.
    Dominic

Whenever I'm at the dock and know that bad weather is moving in, and I see someone getting ready to head out, I try to make a point of casually bringing up the weather so that I can let them know in case they don't. Too often, they have no idea what the forecast is either because they don't know where to get the forecast or more commonly because the last forecast they listened to was a day or two ago. I don't care all that much (as much) about a couple of dummies who want to risk it, but it bothers me when I see kids and presumably unsuspecting spouses or friends who don't know what they're going to be getting themselves into.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    I think saturday night had a pretty big rush back in due to the forecast change as PatrickL noted...It went to E 30knots for after midnight saturday. That likely scared-off a bunch of people. We actually came all the back from LaTouche and dropped the pick in Shotgun to prolong the adventure and avoid the harbor crowd. Sunday morning was a painless retrieve.

We were wowwed by a gentleman that came down while we were retreiving...he asked it it was very rough out near Lone Island. Someone told him there were halibut there and he and a friend were going to launch and go. We asked what kind of boat and pointed at a old 18' riverboat with windshield and an 88 horse on the back. We asked if he had listened to the NOAA forecast and he didn`t know what that was. We let him know why we were leaving and also pointed out that Passage Canal was capping and that it was blowing over 25 knots through there....max capability for his boat. He seemed thankful and packed it up and led the way back out of Whittier....smart choice. We figure it had to at least be 5' in Ports Swells by then and IF they made it they would have needed a rescue...good to see people take advice instead of becoming a liability or danger to others.