Thread: 35 Sambar (358 WSM)

Default 35 Sambar (358 WSM)

I have been doing some reading on the 358 WSM, otherwise know in Australia as the 35 Sambar. Cartridges of the World 11th Edition by Frank C. Barnes has it listed as a Wildcat Cartridge developed by Breil Jackson. The article on page 214 states that the 35 Sambar is a 300 WSM necked up with no other changes. The article also stated that 2700 fps can be achieved with 250 grain Speer GS bullets from a 23" barrel. For comparison the 35 Whelen ranged from 2400 fps - 2500 fps with various 250 grain loads and the 358 Norma Magnum ranged from 2500 - 2800 fps with various 250 grain loads. Just from the velocity comparison the 358 WSM should be a decent enough cartridge, even for hunting big game here in Alaska.
    Anyone ever think about having one built or own one already? If you do I am sure forum members would really like to hear about it. Thanks

Default 35 is always good

I haven't heard of that one yet, but it sounds good. I have had nothing but good luck with the wsm's and 35 caliber is tough to beat.

Interesting article on a 350 WSM Rifle Project using the Ruger KM77RFP MK II w/22" factory barrel and 1-12" twist. Article also includes 350 WSM load development and CAD Schematics comparing the 350 Remington to the 350 WSM.

http://35cal.com/ruger77_350wsm.html

If you take a 325 WSM and compare the brass to the 350 Remington Magnum they are very close in shape and size, except for the belt around the base of the 350 Rem Mag case.

Since the 358 WSM is a wildcat I guess you can rearrange the shoulder and neck for slightly more powder capacity.

I also remember how everyones old 35 Whelen handloads were a lot hotter when it was a wildcat. After they made it into a factory cartridge it was discovered that lots of those hot handloads were exceeded safe pressure levels.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I don't know about the Sambar but I'm loading for the 35 WSM now. It's been around for a while but I just got hold of one the other day. Loaned to me for the expressed purpose of developing load data for it. It falls half way between the Whelen and the 358 Norma. Winchester 325 brass necks up easily and out of 250 pieces I've necked up to various calibers I've lost zero of them.

I also load for the 338, 375, 416 on the WSM case and soon the 366 WSM. (Or 9.3 Short Mag.) Lot's of fun.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy,
    I am not a reloader yet, but I have been doing some studying. I have a few books on the subject and various reloading manuals, also have some reloading videos. Even went as far as buying a Redding Turret Reloading Press a few years ago, but I have not built myself a reloading bench or bought the additional equipment that I would need to get started. So please bear with me and my questions. I am interested in the process.
    What brand of dies are you using ? Are they custom or did you modify any WSM dies to accomodate the 358 neck size? When you expand the neck from 325 to 358 are you leaving the case dimensions exactly like the 325, or changing the should angle or pushing the shoulder forward to increase powder capacity? What are the minimum loads that you are starting with? And lastly what is the maximum cartridge length that you are using for the 35 WSM ?
    Thanks

Murphy,
    Just acquired a used MRC 1999 338/300WSM BSRM barreled action and am considering having the #3 contoured barrel rebored or changed out to 35 WSM. Haven't really made a firm decision about it yet though. Ammunition may be an issue, as it is for the 338/300 WSM since I don't have the dies and haven't started reloading yet. So I would like to find out if you may be interested in selling some of your ammo. If I have a good source of quality ammo I may just stick with the 338/300 WSM. Interested ?

Quote Originally Posted by WDChurchJr View Post
    Murphy,
    Just acquired a used MRC 1999 338/300WSM BSRM barreled action and am considering having the #3 contoured barrel rebored or changed out to 35 WSM. Haven't really made a firm decision about it yet though. Ammunition may be an issue, as it is for the 338/300 WSM since I don't have the dies and haven't started reloading yet. So I would like to find out if you may be interested in selling some of your ammo. If I have a good source of quality ammo I may just stick with the 338/300 WSM. Interested ?
    WD,

I'll try to answer all your questions here.

I have a Redding T-7 Turret press also along with a few others. The dies are custom from RCBS or Redding, mine are all from Redding. The 325 brass is necked up easily and no other dimensions are changed. No shoulder angle or neck length changes. There is a good supply of brass and it is very good quality.

Starting loads for a 225 grain bullet is about 65 grains of H4350 for about 2700 fps. I have lots of data for the 338,375 & 416. the max OAL is 3.050" for my 338, the magazine will hold longer on the 99 action.

I make a lot of ammo for custom and wildcat calibers. If we have to rely on the mail that could be a problem. If you get to Fairbanks, no problem.

I could mail necked up brass and you could get by with a 325 seater die to start, but you would need a sizer die to reload the cases.

These all offer very useful ballistics and are efficient calibers. There are alot of folks who use them and I think they are better than the original 300 WSM. They make a lot of sense. The show very good performance in 20-22" barrels, also. Hope this helps, I think you'll like the caliber.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Barrel job

Just received an email today from Montana Rifle Company that if I am interested they can rebarrel the 338/300 WSM barreled action that I have to 35 WSM. If I decide to follow through I just may have a used barrel for sale. I will decide in a few weeks since I already have a 325 WSM rifle project underway.

I'd considered building one after realizing how heavy my 350 rigby magnum is. So I got one of Rugers M77 allweather 350 rem mags.

I have never re-chambered my 350 rem mag. Here's why, the 350 rem mag pushes a 225 gr 2700 fps, and using a good bullet like the barnes 225 tsx, you don't need a heavier bullet.

If you drive a 250 gr bullet 2700 fps in a lightweight rifle, you will not enjoy the experience. I've got rifles up to 500 jeffrey, so I know how to deal with recoil, and part of the equition is matching the rifle weight to the recoil of the chambering. For my uses, the 350 rem mag is a better balance of recoil and rifle weight than a 350 wsm.

Default 338/300 WSM barreled action and description

Attached is a pic of the MRC 1999 BSRM 338/300 WSM barreled action that I am considering using for my next rifle project. I really would like to have a 35 WSM, but looking at the cost for another barreling job. I may just stick with what I have already and invest the money in a McMillan Edge stock.

Here is the previous owners description of the 338/300 WSM: Barrel has been broken in, and has been shot some. Includes RCBS reloading dies and some brass. The action was barreled by MRC and is 23" long, #3 contour. It has probably had about 100+- rounds through it. It showed promise with 210gr. Partitions and Barnes TSX bullets, also includes 2 piece Burris mounts.
    Last edited by WDChurchJr; 04-25-2007 at 19:02.