Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Medical Exam

Default Medical Exam

I used to get my 3rd class medical exam with my regular doctor, but he has stopped doing them. Does anyone have a recommendation for a doctor to see? Or you can PM me for a doctor to avoid. I am in Eagle River, so from Anchorage to Wasilla would be fine.
    Thanks,
    Patrick
    Last edited by PatrickH; 07-16-2012 at 14:51. Reason: add location

Default aviation medical

Dr. Art Tilgner is a peach of a guy and will do everything legally possible to provide you with your aviation medical certificate. He lived and worked in Cordova for many years providing medical care for the people of Cordova from emergency room medicine to obstetrics and everything in between.

Clinic Name Aviation Medical Services
    Phone (907) 245-4359
    Fax (907) 245-2212
    Address 5011 Spenard Rd #205
    Anchorage County
    Anchorage, Alaska 99517-0000

Thanks. I appreciate the tip.
    Patrick

Patrick, Larry Smith in Eagle River did mine, and Tim Skoda did my previous (Skoda was out hunting when I got my recent one). Smith is at the location over by CC Skidoo, and Skoda at the place across from Garcia's. Good luck.

I see a guy who lives 80 miles away and who has never seen me for any of my real medical needs. Plus English is his second language.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I see a guy who lives 80 miles away and who has never seen me for any of my real medical needs. Plus English is his second language.
    Float Pilot, Grizzly and Mr Pid are all people that are always worth listening to.

If you're healthy and have no questionable issues since your last medical any qualified doctor can do it. If you need a special issuance or are trying for a resistance after a disqualifying condition Dr Tilgner is the guy you'll want. Very versed in the FAA rules and interpretations, very much on the pilot's side. Dr Tilgner isn't a doctor who happens to give flight physicals, his career is aero medicine. Great guy.

Some guys like full physicals when they go for a flight exam and others want the bare minimum to pass. I'm the latter. My general health doctor is different from my flight exam doctor. When I fill out the 8500-8 form I tell the truth and don't offer a single word extra. Same in the exam room. I go to a flight physical exam with one goal. To get my medical renewed. I don't consider it health care. Every pilot needs to figure out what role they want their flight doc to play in their lives. That's the big decision. Once you determine that, choose your doc accordingly.

Thanks for the info. I liked going to my regular doctor for the exam because I have had a melanoma removed several years ago and am being treated for high blood pressure which is controlled. Both are items the FAA has some concern over, but not a special issuance. I am not sure how a doctor who is not treating me will need to handle it. I would also prefer the bare minimum to get the certificate. I get a full annual physical with my regular doctor anyway, so the flight physical is somewhat redundant as far as I can see.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    Thanks for the info. I liked going to my regular doctor for the exam because I have had a melanoma removed several years ago and am being treated for high blood pressure which is controlled. Both are items the FAA has some concern over, but not a special issuance. I am not sure how a doctor who is not treating me will need to handle it. I would also prefer the bare minimum to get the certificate. I get a full annual physical with my regular doctor anyway, so the flight physical is somewhat redundant as far as I can see.
    Yep,redundant but required. Only a physician with the AME certificate can give you the required flight physical.

When you change physicians ...

be sure the doctor has full command of "Jedi mindtricks" ...

why do I say this?

Leyland Jones for about the last 10 years did my 3rd class with out a hitch. He retired to Arizona. The doctor I went with this time noted the Hypertension history and had my GP's office provide three BP's on a form (all in the range of 120's over 60's). The FAA came back and wanted the entire 14 years of medical history. Everything is well controlled I am very athletic, chloesterol is well controlled and now the FAA is threatening to revoke my certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    When you change physicians ...

be sure the doctor has full command of "Jedi mindtricks" ...

why do I say this?

Leyland Jones for about the last 10 years did my 3rd class with out a hitch. He retired to Arizona. The doctor I went with this time noted the Hypertension history and had my GP's office provide three BP's on a form (all in the range of 120's over 60's). The FAA came back and wanted the entire 14 years of medical history. Everything is well controlled I am very athletic, chloesterol is well controlled and now the FAA is threatening to revoke my certificate.
    That is why I posted this thread. My first medical had to be signed off by the regional flight surgeon because of the prior melanoma removal. I am looking to get this done with as little fuss as possible. I too am being treated for mild high blood pressure and cholesterol, and both are being managed well. So your story causes more concern.

If you don't think "previously reported, no change" applies get a condition statement from your treating physician. Your doctor should know what it needs to say. Take it with you to your flight physical exam. My letter was about three sentences long. That satisfies them for my SI renewals.

Remember, the flight physical isn't a diagnostic medical visit. It's a physical competence check. If you have issues that raise questions you need to provide the examiner with the tools to qualify you as competent. Go prepared.

I had one Flight Med Doc who used to play with my toes,,,, Another who only talked about fishing... The guy I use now homes in on my old shrapnel wounds, old spine surgery scar and bullet scar on my leg. Then he makes my walk around on tip-toes, jump up and down and basically replay the field sobriety scene from that old Steve Martin movie... " The man with two Brains "
    see video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0MXU3J6Qbs
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I had one Flight Med Doc who used to play with my toes,,,, Another who only talked about fishing... The guy I use now homes in on my old shrapnel wounds, old spine surgery scar and bullet scar on my leg. Then he makes my walk around on tip-toes, jump up and down and basically replay the field sobriety scene from that old Steve Martin movie... " The man with two Brains "
    see video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0MXU3J6Qbs
    Hang in there, my friend. You've earned it.

Why was the Melanoma a concern to the FAA? I just looked over form 8500 and saw no mention of it. Blood pressure I get, but Melanoma?

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Why was the Melanoma a concern to the FAA? I just looked over form 8500 and saw no mention of it. Blood pressure I get, but Melanoma?
    I think a Melanoma can metastasize and become full blown cancer. Not sure, but that's my take on it . . . . .

When melanoma spreads, it often goes to the brain. The first symptom is often an unexplained blackout. Not a good thing, especially when it happens to the pilot. Fortunately mine was caught in a very early stage and was completely removed with minor surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    I think a Melanoma can metastasize and become full blown cancer. Not sure, but that's my take on it . . . . .
    And this is going to cause a sudden catastrophic medical incapacity to a pilot who felt fine at the start of the flight?

When melanoma spreads, it often goes to the brain. The first symptom is often an unexplained blackout. Not a good thing, especially when it happens to the pilot. Fortunately mine was caught in a very early stage and was completely removed with minor surgery.
    We must have been typing at the same time. You just hit reply a instant before I did. I did not know about the blackouts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast