Thread: Dippnetting tomorrow

Default Dippnetting tomorrow

Hi, I'm kinda new to this but am posting for the first time. I have arrangements to head down from anchorage to kenai to dipnet tomorrow night and wens, but the people I was planning to go with have cancelled on me. I'm hoping to find someone else who is planning to leave tomorrow and might be willing to group up for this. I've never dipped so this will be a learning experience but I'm heading south one way or the other.

If you want to give me a call at 376-2789, I would be happy to give you a few tips I learned the hard way. I think at this point I will be going down later myself, but advise is free. I sure would like to not have you make the same mistakes I did, espacially with gas prices today.
    Last edited by uhldwm; 07-16-2012 at 14:33. Reason: delete repeat

Would be so awesome if you could post some of the tips...was almost tempted to call you. Have dipnetted on the Kasilof once before and had a blast but can always learn from a pro!

The best and simplest advice I can give for the Kenai/Kasilof reds fishery is to resist the urge to go deeper than your hoop can span. If you don't have the max 5' hoop (and most don't invest in that until they get the fever for it) you may see folks with bigger hoops and longer poles catching more fish out in the deep water, but if you wade out deeper to get in that zone you will usually just feel the fish knocking into the top of your hoop as they swim over, and you'll be cold. Back up until you can see the top of your hoop just under the water and you'll typically get fewer hits but more solid punches that stick. Those with more experience may be able to tell you more specifically what water conditions will cause which sort of fish behavior, but this should get you through the average day. Pretty much every time I have buried the hoop deep in the water I have been disappointed, as well as unnecessarily cold. Don't neglect the shallow water either, it's a good place to warm back up and there are some fish there too.

Believe me, I am not a Pro, nor an expert, but I am pretty good at making mistakes and wrong choices. It would be far faster to speak personally so as to cover as much territory as possible in a short time, especially for a two fingered typist such as I. I don't know what you already know and don't want to bore everyone else with my thoughts and ramblings, as I am told, mostly by women, that I do that. Each area has benefits and drawbacks as well as personal preferences in equipment, so difficult to make hard and fast statements there as well.

Looks like I will be going down Wednesday morning very early after all. North Shore of the Kasilof. If you are there I am 70, heavy set, glasses, will be using gauntleted rubber gloves, blue Float Coat, brown waders and have an '84 TRX 200 Honda with three coolers on it and a net rack that makes it look like antlers, or a big arsed bug. You could still call if you wish until early evening, then I plan on getting some rest and then heading out.
    I would definitely advise getting a spare net bag from Donalsonís in Anchorage for example, and some net repair materials and donít bother with anything like a Copper River or landing net that has the heavy mesh. I really hate to see folks drive all the way down there for nothing. Those nets are great for the Copper, but pretty worthless on the peninsula as the fish can see them.
    If I donít see you good luck and above all, have fun and haul out what you haul in.
    Jim

[ATTACH]61470[/ATTACH
    Sunday was good.. 125 in couple hours.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..