Thread: Barrel fitment question.

Default Barrel fitment question.

This may be a stupid question but for the most part do different manufactures use the same thread pattern for barrels? I have a Remington 700 30-06 with a bent barrel long story short it fell off the front of the ATV and got ran over. Locally there is a weatherby 30-06 barrel for sale of the same contour and length so I know it will fit the stock but will it screw into the Remington action without too much crazy smithing. Obviously I would have a gunsmith do the swap but would like to know if the barrel will even fit before I drop the coin to buy it.

Check the barrel maker's websites for take off barrels. They are usually very reasonably priced and you can change caliber if you want to 270 or 280 or 284, 338-'06 etc...(just to name the '06 family cases let alone the case head size) if you care too as well as get one with iron sights or a different taper (if your stock will accommodate it or you care to modify it while going to the smiths anyways) made for your action. No the Weatherby will not be a drop in replacement for the Remington.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Should say it's possible, and many smiths can do it, but re-threading from metric will be required if it's a Vanguard you're looking at. If it's a Mark V you're there for threading but a little fanagling will be required:
    Mark V barrel threads are 1-1/16-16, UNA Ė 3A
    Vanguardģ barrel threads are 26mm 1.5 pitch.
    Rem thread is 1.062" 16tpi
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Unless you can round up a take-off your in gun building mode.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

And even a take off from another Rem probably won't index right nor is it likely it will headspace right. Either have the barrel straightened or go custom.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    And even a take off from another Rem probably won't index right nor is it likely it will headspace right. Either have the barrel straightened or go custom.
    True, 90% odds a take off would need to be set back and 100% it will need head space checked but it's going to be the cheapest option if the current barrel is dead as Iím assuming from you looking for another. Your looking at maybe around $100 for a take off barrel, $100-150 to install it, then the shipping so should be something under $300 all in to go with a take off.

I could very well be wrong in the assumption that itís bent too much, (ainít even seen it) as long as it isnít bent enough to constrict the bore any it may well be fixable. But to know for sure youíll need to roll the dice and send it out, if you come up snake eyes you tossed some good money after bad. If it were mine Iíd ether look at it as an opportunity to build me a cooler M700 or just sell this one as a builder to someone that wants to build and put the cash on another working gun. If you do go the sell it route give us a shot at it here first please.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yep. I probably would take the oppertunity to build a 35 Whelen or some such. It won't cost a whole lot more to go with a new barrel than to buy a take off if you go with one of the lower cost barrels.

Im going to go custom since I already have quite a bit of money into the action jewel Trigger bolt work lug work etc but probably will not change caliber however as I like the 06'

Nothing at all wrong with 30-06, everybody should have a stack of them. I got several 06 so Iíd be thinking hard on moving up caliber to ether 338-06 or 35 Whelen myself.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I had an 03-A3 that was left leaning against the pick-up wheel and consequently run over, smashed the scope, broke the stock but the barrel was just fine - I am skeptical that an ATV has the weight to bend a barrel unless it was a horrendous wreck - by the time you buy a barrel and have a reputable gunsmith fit it and such you are WELL on your way to a new custom barrel - on the cheap ... ER SHAW - premium .... Douglas, Lilja, HS Precision, PacNor, Kreiger, etc . etc . etc ....

Default cheap replacment barrels

Taked-off Remington 700 barrels in standard calibers like .30-06 are very inexpensive- you should be able to pick one a new or near new one for $25 or less - I've purchased many 700 barrels for $10 -$15. You can check a local gun show or gunbroker for a selection. I'll check my pile later and see if I have one in '06.

Fitting it should also be relatively inexpensive as the barrels are usually very close in dimensions. You can even buy some tools from Midway and do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined. Since 700s shoot generally so well I won't waste the money on some fancy high cost custom barrel job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Im going to go custom since I already have quite a bit of money into the action jewel Trigger bolt work lug work etc but probably will not change caliber however as I like the 06'
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Another place to check out is Numrich for a barrel. I actually found a barrel for my old savage there for $20 plus shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    This may be a stupid question but for the most part do different manufactures use the same thread pattern for barrels? I have a Remington 700 30-06 with a bent barrel long story short it fell off the front of the ATV and got ran over. Locally there is a weatherby 30-06 barrel for sale of the same contour and length so I know it will fit the stock but will it screw into the Remington action without too much crazy smithing. Obviously I would have a gunsmith do the swap but would like to know if the barrel will even fit before I drop the coin to buy it.
    One alternative is to send it back to Rem and have them rebarrel to 06.
    Companies like ER shaw will rebarrel to about any caliber you want. You will have to deal with fitting the stcok, finiosh on the barrel etc as well with Shaw.

Sending it back to Remington isnít at all a bad idea!

I picked up a Ruger SRH 454 without a cylinder or crane on it. Called Ruger and was quoted $180 plus shipping to fix it up so off it went. I was expecting a call to pay for it all and that never came and Friday I was on hold for the Ruger service department when UPS pulls up with my gun. They fixed the thing, new cylinder, new crane, new extractor and all then shipped it back all on their dime.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona