Thread: Late season trip. Aug 31st thru Sept. 9th

Default Late season trip. Aug 31st thru Sept. 9th

Hey all

I am making my second trip to Alaska, over these dates. Last year I was on the Parks Highway around July 20th and found an abundance of fish. What should I expect arriving this late in the season? I assume the kings, and sockeyes will be wrapping up, but how will the pinky's and chums be? How is Montana for Silvers? Also, what other riveres would anyone recommend for a group that is just looking to catch fish? We release most everything except for a few fresh meals. Lastly would love to catch some big bows and grayling but i know the grayling are sparce along this stretch. Any advice will be great.

Thanks!

I know why know one has posted on this yet!!!!!!! No free offers of fresh curds or real string cheese!!!!!!!!! If I were a fish junkie which of course I am not during late August early Sept I would be fishing on the K. Pen all streams versus chasing the Parks Hwgy but hey that is just me! Yes a little more crowded however with a good plan and a little work you can find exactly what your looking for.

On the Parks the Pinks and Chums will be spent as well not just the Kings and the Sockeye. Yes Silvers will be in the systems however they normally start entering the system by Late July IMO at least that is what I have found over the past several years. Working your way up the Chulitna system I have also noticed that early to Mid Sept the Silvers are also on there way out if not just about moved up and out to greener pastures. That is not to say they are not a viable option just not a good eating fish by then on most systems again IMO. Find the Spawning / dying fish find the bows.

That being said I travel to the K Pen if I am fishing that time of year. "just sayen"

Best of luck in your choices and your adventure.

RMM
    BMR

BM- I get great eating silvers out of susitna river tribs till mid september.

Now the kenai would be fresher, no doubt, but if you're in the Matsu at that time they are delicious. Might have to put one or two back occasionally but near the mouths of several creeks fresh coho are still moving through.

Agreed you can find fresh Silvers coming into the systems I suppose I should have reference numbers and ops. I love fishing the Su and Chu drainages little more walking on somedays than others but ample fish.

A beautiful time of year with fairly few anglers compared to earlier. Bring a rain coat.

I would fish the Talkeetna River, camp a night or two across from Larson Creek or at Clear Creek float the whole thing down to the boat launch, unless the charter boat service (Mahays or Tri-Rivers) is aware of consistent bear problems. Bring bear spray. Fish flesh flies, egg patterns, beads. I like flesh fly patterns but that time of year there should be clouds of eggs washing down stream.

When you get to Wasilla contact Mike Hudson at 3-Rivers Fly and Tackle during the week not weekends. He will help you with where to go, fine tune for you what to use and size up general river conditions. Ask Mike about floating Willow creek, upper or lower should be really good for rainbows.

Montana Creek that time of year will have occassional silvers straggling in at the mouth and some good rainbow fishing. However, I'd fish Willow Creek floating with a guide a day or 2 check in with Farley Dean at Willow Creek Resort at the Parks Hwy Willow Creek bridge.

Another good day trip charter would be with Mahays up the Susitna River to Indian Creek or Portage Creek. You could take the train up to Indian Creek if you are good campers.

The Kenai River will be much better for decent looking silvers and world class rainbow trout fishing. Check out Quartz Creek too. Again, I'd use a guide for a day to get yourself tuned in and the rent rafts and float the days away stay at lodges, camp and fish the whole dang time...in any event you will have a blast!

Go Packers!