Thread: Replacing Tapatalk with Forumrunner?

Default Replacing Tapatalk with Forumrunner?

We're taking a hard look at replacing Tapatalk with Forumrunner. If you're a Tapatalk user, please take some time to check out Forumrunner and let me know your thoughts on it. It's a newer program with almost all the same features, plus more. It has a better moderator function for our mods, and some other stuff. It's also a lot less load on our server (which is the biggest attraction for us, quite frankly). Forumrunner is also built by the same people who make our forum software, so updates, bug fixes, and tech support is a LOT smoother. Also, Tapatalk is based in Asia, but Forumrunner is in the USA.

I will post a poll on it when we start testing next week, but if you have any thoughts on it now, it would be good to hear. Testing will last one week, and then a decision will be made.

We can get a branded version that we can sell in the App store to cover the cost (about $700). We can do the same with Tapa, but I'm not sure how important a stand-alone app is to our forum community. From the site's perspective, it extends our reach into the App store, which means we will reach people who don't currently know about our site. On the negative side, who wants to buy an app when they can get the same functionality for free? The price we are thinking of is around $1.99. What are your thoughts on that?

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Hi mike i tried to look at it off you face book page, but the link is not to the app it appears, but to your page to register it to the forum? At least i am not having any luck getting an app to try from the link you provided.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Mike, If it benefits the forum and is based in the USA I say go for it!

Thank you for asking for our opinion.

Edit:

After looking it up in Google play store on Android my concerns are as follows.

1) A mere 10,000 downloads? Sounds like a fairly new app... From my experience newer apps are buggy.

2) A 3.6 out of 5 star rating vs. Tapatalks 4.5 star rating.

3)Some concerning user reviews.
    Last edited by akiceman25; 07-16-2012 at 17:43. Reason: additional info
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I have both Forumrunner and Tapatalk on my phone and they are pretty similar as far as operation from the end user point of view. The main advantage of Tapatalk is that it is FAR easier on the eyes to read. They have put more effort into making the end user interface actually user friendly.

Since vBulletin acquired Forumrunner, I can understand how it would be more efficient and support friendly than Tapatalk. The savings and headache reductions could be substantial. That would be a great advantage from a site management standpoint. I would hope and expect that it would eventually catch up on the user interface end unless they want to push Mobile Suite.

I can get along fine with either, so let the testing begin! I only ask that either way you go, please keep them ad free. The ads on the main website are wonderful sources of income, but I'd rather have as much of the small screen of a phone dedicated to posts as possible and keep the downloads fast when in places away from the Anchorage/Mat-Su area.

I use tapatalk for several different forums and like it pretty good. I have wondered around the available options on forumrunner and couldn't find a single forum that I currently visit or have a membership to. The guest interface seems ok but as sibir mentioned the tapatalk version seems easier to read.

We're going to delay the test of Forumrunner for a bit. I'm swamped with summer guests right now and will be for a little bit. Once the dust settles, we'll schedule a test period. The goal is to end up with one or the other- Tapatalk or Forumrunner.

The comments about the number of users, features, user interface and such are correct. It's a new product, but it seems that the buggy stage is past, and it's stable and reliable. We usually lag a bit on our upgrades, because we don't want to launch something and have to deal with issues later. So in this case, don't let those things scare you off. Reports are that they are very responsive to tech questions, and because they are in the USA, we can reach them pretty quickly. We think it's a good match for us, but I really want to hear your concerns. I rely heavily on our tech folks for the IT side of this, but personally, I'm all about the user experience. Doesn't matter that tech thinks it's great, if the front-end users don't like it!

Thanks for your patience!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay