Thread: Stiff bolt on a Savage?

Default Stiff bolt on a Savage?

Any tricks to slick up the bolt on a savage 7mm-08 so that it is easier to cam over? The rifle is brand new with under 20 down the pipe so I guess the answer may be as simple as "keep shooting it" but it would be nice to slick her up enough that the kid can learn to cycle it while maintaining his sight picture.

When I got my 116 I spent a few evenings working the bolt with jeweler's rouge on the potential sticky spots.......it's as smooth as a Savage is gonna get after that.

Are you talking about the resistance that is felt after firing or dry firing? I have an older 116 model that is noticably stiffer to cycle after firing as it recocks the trigger. I always thought that was just the way it was. The bolt cycles very smoothly just running it without firing though.

At least it feeds well, unlike my new 416. I never fired it, just loaded it and then JAMB! At least the manufacturer is being very empathetic and covering all the shipping costs.

Good luck!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

The kid struggles a bit with the bolt but it is manageable and his strength will improve plenty fast and make it a non issue. A bigger disappointment is the extremely poor stock fitment. There is a 1/4" gap between the tang where the safety is and the stock. Unbolting the stock and pushing on the tang to make it flush causes the barrel to rise out of the stock channel. Probably shouldn't complain to much, at the end of the day it is a sub $500 rifle/scope package. Hopefully she shoots!

Buy a Tikka T3.

Too bad they don't make a lefty youth model or I imagine Jon's kid would have one already.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Too bad they don't make a lefty youth model or I imagine Jon's kid would have one already.
    It's pretty much a one pony rodeo for lefty kids bolt guns. Fankly the Tikka stock isn't exactly a beauty queen for 2x as much $$ and as Doug mentioned nothing in youth. The stainless Rem youth on the shelf would have gotten the nod for not much more money if they would have installed the bolt backwards like the kid needs.

I have the box and all the info along with the receipt obviously so I will probably just run it through season as long as it hits what he aims it at then test out the Savage warranty system. I suspect that they will take care of me.

#3 son is left handed and left eye dominant and he just learned to use right handed bolt guns when he was young and now he prefers levers or pump guns or an Encore but does fine with a right side bolt. I know that doesn't solve your problem but I raised him that it is a right handed world and you just need to deal with it....he's 21 now and it's not a problem for him.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I'm a lefty and I have shot right handed rifles forever. Guys at sportsman always tell oh hey we have what your looking for and grab the lefties uh no I shoot right handed rifles just fine. Besides I usually shoot single shot at the range anyhow. Should of saved yourself a headache and found one of the weatherby youth models liek I got my daughter in the 7mm-08. I also have a 250-3000 built on a mexican mauser for the kids that she shoots all the time she loves that little thing no recoil and shoots 110 accubonds lights out.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The kid struggles a bit with the bolt but it is manageable and his strength will improve plenty fast and make it a non issue. A bigger disappointment is the extremely poor stock fitment. There is a 1/4" gap between the tang where the safety is and the stock. Unbolting the stock and pushing on the tang to make it flush causes the barrel to rise out of the stock channel. Probably shouldn't complain to much, at the end of the day it is a sub $500 rifle/scope package. Hopefully she shoots!
    I gave up on the stock on mine too. Went with a Bell and Carlson. No it's not the best out there but it fits me like a glove. Do the aftermarket stock companies make youth stocks? May be an option?

good luck!

Chinese proverb

Actually put a little time at the range today sighting her in with core-lokts and she may just be the worst shooting rifle I have in the stable... I wasn't really letting it cool much on the groups but 4moa was about the best we saw. I may try another type of ammo and will triple check the scope mounts but I am not holding out a ton of hope. I honestly don't recall ever using a rifle that fit more poorly into the stock than this one. The action does not seat into the stock evenly and if anything tightening the action screws just flexes the stock to "mostly" fit.

It is minute of bear or moose out to 100yds but that is the only positive thing I can say about it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Actually put a little time at the range today sighting her in with core-lokts and she may just be the worst shooting rifle I have in the stable... I wasn't really letting it cool much on the groups but 4moa was about the best we saw. I may try another type of ammo and will triple check the scope mounts but I am not holding out a ton of hope. I honestly don't recall ever using a rifle that fit more poorly into the stock than this one. The action does not seat into the stock evenly and if anything tightening the action screws just flexes the stock to "mostly" fit.

It is minute of bear or moose out to 100yds but that is the only positive thing I can say about it right now.
    Or maybe you are just a horrible shot LOL.... If you want some 7mm bullets I have a bunch you can try out also use RL15 39-40gr with 154 gr hornady or 140 whatever.

Always a very real possibility 323, but I am usually good for 2MOA or less off of a lead sled at 100 yards.

Offer stands on the bullets. I have a bunch. I settled on 140 Barnes for my wife and daughters 7mm-08. I owned a 300 wsm in a savage it would shoot factory ammo lights out reloads that was a different story. I got rid of it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Lujon:

I don't doubt you for a minute, but this seems to run counter to all the bragging we so often hear about Savage Rifles, "The most accurate out of the box", "yadda yadda, etc."

Yours sounds so bad, with the PP accuracy, and PP stock fit, that maybe you should check with Savage, for any possible redress.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Shoot some quality ammo before you give up.

My savage 116 hates the cheap stuff too. I can't tell you why. The best shooting non reloaded ammunition that I use is the Winchester Supreme line. There is something about the lubalox coated bullets that my rifle loves. I wouldtry the XP3 bullets and see what happens.

Good Luck!
    John

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Lujon:

I don't doubt you for a minute, but this seems to run counter to all the bragging we so often hear about Savage Rifles, "The most accurate out of the box", "yadda yadda, etc."

Yours sounds so bad, with the PP accuracy, and PP stock fit, that maybe you should check with Savage, for any possible redress.

Smitty of the North
    I'm with Smitty...not usual Savage...send it back...even the cheap Savages shoot better than that!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.