Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8mm Rem Mag Range Report

Default 8mm Rem Mag Range Report

8mm Rem Mag Range Report - 220gr Sierra SBT, RL-25 and RL-22, Rem brass, Rem 9 1/2M primers, OAL 3.600", Velocity 3009fps

It was an awesome and interesting morning to say the least and the 8mm Rem Mag is a beast at both ends. Anyone who says he likes to shoot an 8mm Rem Mag at the bench for more than 21-25 rounds has something truly wrong with them. Now that said, I am use to a 340Wby without a break shooting 225gr bullets which generates 43.0ft pounds of free recoil. The velocity of recoil though is just a tad slower than the 8mm Rem Mag even though marginal I felt the difference. Here are the stats on the free recoil and velocity of recoil for the 8mm Rem Mag with a 220gr Sierra SBT moving 3009fps on the average.

Cartridge: 8mm Rem Mag
    Firearm: Remington 700
    Load and Firearm Info:
    Bullet Dia (in): 0.323
    Case Length (in): 2.850
    Case Volume (gr H2O):
    93.5 Muzzle velocity (ft/sec): 3009
    Bullet Wt (gr): 220
    Charge Weight (gr): 86
    Barrel Length (in): 24
    Firearm Weight (lb): 8.50
    Free recoil energy is 42.1 ft-lb. (57.1 Joule)

FACTOIDS:
    Free recoil velocity is estimated to be 18 ft/sec. (5.4 m/sec)
    (This is equivalent to dropping the 8.50 lb gun from a height of 5 feet.)
    The free recoil volocity is gained in only 0.14 in (3.6 mm) of travel
    Recoil impulse is 4.7 lbf-sec (21 Newton-sec)
    Powder gases generate about 38 percent of the total recoil impulse & velocity

Now the recoil thing out of the way - I found RL-25 to give me higher velocities for max load in my rifle over RL-22. Also, it gave me better accuracy, better extreme spread and better deviation. Now this is not a bench gun, it is a purer hunting rifle. My last group was actually the fastest velocity wise and also the best accuracy. Temps were low 80's with 91% humidity and my elevation was 105ft above sea level.

Here is the average velocity and group size of the max load of RL-22 in my 8mm Rem mag. and group size was 1.2"

Here is the average velocity and group size of the max load of RL-25 in my 8mm Rem mag. and group size was .866", Extreme spread 20 Deviation 10
    Note: (this was my last group shot for the day, and recoil was taking its toll and I was still getting use to my trigger, so this is in my opinion a good load for hunting)

top velocity of the day

All and all I am very excited about the 8mm Rem Mag in a fine rifle to use on big game. It is evident that anything hit with this 8mm Rem Mag will die quickly if not immediately depending on shot placement, but this beast will end the life of any beast hit with it and more than likely be DRT. Very impressive cartridge. Yes I can't wait to hunt with it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner!

Wow, that's impressive. Awesome load, fine shooting and in a beautiful gun to boot!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    DING DING DING!!! We have a winner!

Wow, that's impressive. Awesome load, fine shooting and in a beautiful gun to boot!
    Thank you Snyd, now that I know what to expect when I pull the trigger, I am looking forward to shooting the 220gr SBT and RL-25 load some more. Yes, this is truly and awesome .323 cartridge indeed and a fine rifle and set up.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Due to the heat and humidity today, I was able to reach Sierra's max with RL-22 of 80.9, but with RL-25 Sierra's max was 87grs and I was only able to reach 86grs and that became max. If I find myself in 90 degree plus weather hunting I will lower the charge to 84grs, but the 86grs should work just fine for anything under 85 degree, so that is where i will leave that load. As is, it gives me 4422ft pounds of energy at muzzle and 2000 ft pounds out to 593yds, man what a hammer.

Snyd's comment form another thread on the 8mm Rem Mag said this of the 220gr Sierra -

"I had contacted Sierra about the 220gr GameKing for my "Little 8" (325wsm). They call it their "Long Range" bullet. Long boat tail. They said they designed it specifically for the Big 8, that it has a thicker jacket than most other GK's. I load it to 2800fps in my Little 8 and shot a griz with it at 165yds. Complete pass throughs one of which shattered the spine first and exited the above his belly. I did'nt find and pieces of jacket etc. Nothing to indicate the bullet came apart. At least at that velocity the 220GK held up well."

I know for a fact that it has a harder core and goes through a four step draw process and has a thicker jacket, because a very close friend of mine works for Sierra and he confirmed the above comments Snyd made and also that it was developed specifically for the 8 mm Rem Mag.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Good news all around. If RL-25 had been around back when the round first came out, I'd probably still own one. I'm a fan of cup and cores for long range game shooting, having had problems with zero expansion with assorted "premiums" at long range. The GK sounds like my kind of bullet- holding up well closer, but probably still opening well as the range stretches.

Yeah, if RL-25 and a few other powders had been around when the 8mm Rem Mag first came out maybe some more folks would have owned one. One thing for sure, today with the powders we have and Nosler Patition, Nosler Accubond, Sierra Game King and A-Frames not to count out Woodliegh weld core, the Big 8 has found it's stride and can really stretch it's legs.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

That velocity with the 220's is gonna hit like a freight train. I have four boxes of those bullets, but they are for my 8x57's or my 8x60, I haven't decided yet.

Are you going to test any heavier bullets?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    That velocity with the 220's is gonna hit like a freight train. I have four boxes of those bullets, but they are for my 8x57's or my 8x60, I haven't decided yet.

Are you going to test any heavier bullets?
    Yes, I have some orginal Barnes 250gr bullets coming if 4merguide will empty his pm box that is maxed out so I can continue our conversation about the 250gr bullets he has and I am thinking of trying the Woodleigh line. Any suggetions on a heavier bullet in .323 to try would be greatly appreciated. I also will be load testing the 220gr A-Frame.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Yes, I have some orginal Barnes 250gr bullets coming if 4merguide will empty his pm box that is maxed out so I can continue our conversation about the 250gr bullets he has and I am thinking of trying the Woodleigh line. Any suggetions on a heavier bullet in .323 to try would be greatly appreciated. I also will be load testing the 220gr A-Frame.
    Oh sorry.....didn't realize that the pm box was full.....

Will take care of that later this evening....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

FRIDAY MORNING'S EXPERIMENT"

200GR ACCUGOND USING - MRP, RL-25, RL-22, IMR7828ssc
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I've had great results with barnes 200gr tsx and rl22 in my big 8.

I might consider the Barnes, will see, thanks for impute on your success with the bullet.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Changed my mounts and rings. The Quad Rings were not keeping my scope from turning with the significant recoil of the Big 8 and I was afraid if I tighten them more than I had them I might strip a tread in the aluminum rings. So I went to a real traditional look with steel Leupold mounts and rings.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

220gr Sierra & 200gr Accubond - 8mm RM bullet & load test

Well, it was a long wet, rainy morning and my 220gr SBT still showing great accuracy and velocity wise but the bullet does not hold up at 25yds with 4287.3 ft pounds of energy. The 200gr Accubond is shooting ok at 1 1/4" using RL-25, MRP was great velocity but poor accuracy, RL-22 poor velocity and poor accuracy and I did not have enough IMR7828ssc to finish three rounds so will do that later. RL-25 was not a max load for my rifle or nor was it a book max load, but was giving me 3117fps on average and it did as all Accubonds are intended to do, it held up at 25yds hitting the water jugs with 4183.7 ft pounds of energy.

Frist - here is the test with the 220gr Sierra at 25yds hitting the jugs with 4187.3ft pounds of energy.

Note: 8 jugs of water and I had to use a bungee cord to hold them on the short table.

There is no bullet to show you - because it went through five jugs and barely marked the 6th jug with a small fragment and bounced off. I could not find any pieces of the bullet, that is right, it totally after five jugs disintegrated. I did this test a second time and the same results, five jugs a small mark on the 6th jug from a fragment and I could not find any pieces of the 220gr Sierra. I looked all in the grass to try and find just a piece but couldn't. Needless to say, the 220gr Sierra is not for up close in the 8mm Rem Mag. It is obvious a 100yd to 600yds on deer and elk size game, but not for dangerous game. I would only use a 220gr A-Frame on dangerous game out of the Big 8 or if it existed a 220gr Accubond.

Second - here is the test with the 200gr Accubond moving 3117fps hitting with 4183.7 ft pounds of energy at 25yrd, going through 7 jugs ending up in the 8th jug knocking the 9th jug off the table.

Needless to say I will be working on tweaking the RL-25 load for the 200gr Accubond because I was not at max yet for my rifle nor at book max. The 220gr gr load will still be a long range load, but at the moment I will be working on the 200gr Accubond as an all around load and will later work on the 220gr A-Frame as my dangerous game load until Nosler sees fit to produce a 220gr .323 bullet.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A suggestion: Once I used three pieces of 1/2" plywood about 18" wide and four feet long. I put small screws on the ends so I could put it on a 2x12". Once I did that and had wound soft iron wire around the screws to hold it together, I place a piece of Visqueen in the whole thing and filled with water. Went back about 25 feet and shot it with my .500. I found the bullet at the other end after all the water gone. It blew the plywood to smithereens. If you have access to water you could fill easily with a small gas-powered pump. It would make recovery of bullets easier for you. But blowing through seven jugs give you a pretty good indication you have a game-getter on your hands.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Yes, I agree, that the 200gr Accubond should be a real game getter indeed.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

when I first began working loads for the 325 WSM and not having any accuracy "good" luck with 200 Accubonds I called Sierra because I had not had what I considered decent performance with SBT's in other calibers - I talked with one of the "ballistic engineers" at Sierra, he said to me ; " we make the 250/338 and 220/323 with a heavier jacket for just that reason, I would tell you to use either on any game in North America" -I built a very accurate load at 2800 fps MV - I hit a moose just below the spine and 3"-4" back of the shoulder at about 120 yds with the 325 WSM at MV of 2800 and it left a tennis ball size entrance - Have to agree with your summation I think - If I end up keeping it I'm gonna keep working with 200's til I find a sweet spot

Well, today is revealing indeed all accept me changing my OAL and opening up my group to over twice the size it was Friday. You know, sometimes I need to leave somethings a lone. Now that said, here are my velocities from two different groups this morning and they are not over max (you can see by looking at my brass). I am going to adjust my OAL back to were it was 3.600" and continue to work up one tenth of a grain at a time till I get near or at max for my rifle.

Here are pictures of my chronograph readings, brass fired for highest velocity average and my group that needs the OAL adjusted back to where it was. This is very significant, considering I have a 24" barrel, and a greater cross section of my 200gr bullet than a 200gr bullet out of a 300Rum.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Like I said before, if my chrono had flashed those kind of numbers so many years ago, I'd still be shooting the 8. Thanks for all the work using new powders. It's been said before about other rounds, but you really have breathed new life into this great round.

Getting there with the Accubond bullets. Different lot of RL-25 and things looking up. Had Extreme spread of 30, Deviation of 11 and average velocity of 3133fps. Will be taking a break for a while before doing anymore work with my 8mm Rem Mag, but very pleased with where it is going.

first three shots then I was not paying attention shot the other two in a different target right above this one.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast