Thread: Billy's Hole

Default Billy's Hole

I've always wanted to take a trip into Long Bay and fish Billys Hole. Anybody have any experiences they could share?

Timing? Is it pretty heavily fished?

From what I know there is a sizable run of sockeyes that go into it.....and I imagine the pinks run in there as well. However I've never exerienced it myself.

Curious to hear what you guys have to say.

A bief search on the ADF&G makes it sound like there are some Silvers and Cut Throat around the area as well.

From what I understand there are several stages of lagoons that create Billy's hole. I'm guessing there is a lake nearby as well......

The salmon run is very small, very short, and it has been way over fished. They have changed the regulations the last couple of years on how far in the hole you can fish. There are now markers on the shore farther out from the creek and you can't fish inside them. It is a very small area that is crowded if you have more than 2 boats in there at the same time. There is a couple big rocks in the middle of the hole that show up at low tides as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rambling raven View Post
    The salmon run is very small, very short, and it has been way over fished. They have changed the regulations the last couple of years on how far in the hole you can fish. There are now markers on the shore farther out from the creek and you can't fish inside them. It is a very small area that is crowded if you have more than 2 boats in there at the same time. There is a couple big rocks in the middle of the hole that show up at low tides as well.
    Well that is interesting. They actually closed off the hole/lagoon from fishing? Haven't noticed the fish and game doing that anywhere else in the sound.

I used to hear stories about commercial guys "robbing" the hole back in the day. I guess everybody hammers the thing.

Are the Sockeyes an early run?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeypeet View Post
    Well that is interesting. They actually closed off the hole/lagoon from fishing? Haven't noticed the fish and game doing that anywhere else in the sound.

I used to hear stories about commercial guys "robbing" the hole back in the day. I guess everybody hammers the thing.

Are the Sockeyes an early run?
    Not the hole lagoon - about 1/3 of it was closed last year. I have seen the run hit pretty hard with nets a couple different times and I haven't been there that often so I could only imagine what happens on a regular basis. Fish and game studied the run in 2003 and 2004 which led to the changes in regulations - 2003 run had an escapement of 1164 fish and 2004 had 985 fish for the entire season. Not a very big run.

I just go to main bay for reds.