Thread: English Setters

Default English Setters

Just curious to see if many people up here hunt with English setters. I've been a lab guy for over 20yrs but have always kinda liked the English setters.
    I know they are supposed to be great grouse dogs. Does anyone use them for ptarmigan? How do they do in the cold/snow?
    Id like to hear some pluses and minuses of this dog.
    Thanks
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

They do well.My favorite dog. Have a two year old male, and a 3 month old female.

sitkf4.jpg

My sweet baby Sitka.

DSCN0528.jpg

My boy Paxson pointing ptarmigan.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

English Setters and any other pointing dog work perfectly here in Alaska! As a matter of fact, it might just be the best place on earth to hunt pointing dogs? We have a very long season (about 9 months in my neck-of-the-woods) and enjoy a very target rich environment. Any dog with long hair will be relatively warm, but you will experience problems with snowballs on that long hair, and ice balls between the toes. You are surrounded with pointing dog folks there in Anchorage. Suggest you contact some of the folks in the Arctic Bird Dog Association. Best of luck. Let us know what you end up doing.

Jim

I have never hunted with an English Setter but I hope to in the future. With this guy, names Riley and hes a brother to Hoyt's Sitka.
    looking forward to many hunts together.

IMAG0334.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg
    Last edited by 49thunter; 07-19-2012 at 22:33. Reason: fix photos

Quote Originally Posted by 49thunter View Post
    I have never hunted with an English Setter but I hope to in the future. With this guy, names Riley and hes a brother to Hoyt's Sitka.
    looking forward to many hunts together.

IMAG0334.jpg
    IMAG0346.jpg
    I can't wait to get the pups together sometime! You should try to make it up this fall, and hunt over Paxson with me!
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

I have hunted with friends who had setters in Montana and they were great for all species of birds there. They hunted all conditions, terrain, and cover. They were not known for great water retrieves but with some conditioning and training most did well enough to fetch the occasional rooster across a creek or small marsh pond.

I a m certain they would be just as effective and suited to Alaska as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    I can't wait to get the pups together sometime! You should try to make it up this fall, and hunt over Paxson with me!
    That sounds like good time.
    sorry about the delay in replying. Been ery busy with work. I will send you a pm and maybe we can make something happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 49thunter View Post
    That sounds like good time.
    sorry about the delay in replying. Been ery busy with work. I will send you a pm and maybe we can make something happen.
    Sounds good!