Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what dip net to buy?

Default what dip net to buy?

looking into buying a dipnet for the kenai any advice on what to buy or avoid and why would be appreciated.

Are you going to be dipping from shore or a boat? It can make a big difference in nets.

From a boat, invest in Mike's welding. From shore, invest in Ron Fuller out of North Birchwood. The first makes his out of aluminum, the second makes his out of rolled steel. They both have their good and bad points. What are you looking to do?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Oh yeah, from the shore. Thanks

I'd second the Mike's Welding for that, then. Not sure where you can buy them other than his shop in Sterling.

Whatever you do, don't buy a long fiberglass pole.

costco has some as well, as far as the long fiberglass one it works well if you do the congo shuffle and it will work down at chitna as well, look on craigslist as well
    you can never have to many dip nets

Having the clear or light green colored gillnet mesh is critical on the Kenai. Fish see the heavier nylon mesh and swim around it. The gillnet style will catch fish swimming either direction, also. On the copper I prefer the heavier landing net style mesh, as it lasts longer in the rocks and it is much quicker getting fish out of it. The copper is so muddy fish can't see the heavier dark mesh.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Having the clear or light green colored gillnet mesh is critical on the Kenai...
    Unless it's really hot fishing and you're on a boat. I've watched the guys using landing net web just flick the fish out so quickly, while I'm spending more time picking than fishing.

In fact, I think I'm going to bring a hoop with landing net webbing just in case...

I bought mine from Ron Fuller in Birchwood. Great guy to deal with, renets them for $30. I did not realize they were made from steel, although they are not terribly light. Not difficult to carry by any means, but my five foot hoop has always been a little heavy for my wife (she's 5 foot, 110 pounds is all), so this year I bought a 4 foot hoop from Ron. She loves it.

With that said, I know many folks have bought from Mike's welding there in Sterling/Soldotna area, and I've never heard anyone have a bad thing to say about them. I honestly don't think you could wrong with either one.

The first year I dipped I borrowed one from a friend that she had bought from a store here in town. It was a rectangle net with a long blue pole with a little red handle at the end. It was extremely difficult to handle and keep control of in the water. I've seen folks with them that have extra t-handles added, and that probably works better. But the big hoops and T-handles that Ron and Mike's do on there nets make them pretty easy to control in the water.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

The Costco ones are CRAP!!! Any pole made of galvanized tubing is pure crap. They bend easily, and once bent, they crack, split at the net ring to the pole. I've repaired mine twice and it looks severely deformed. I've repaired 2 others as well belonging to relatives. They all do the same thing. Go Aluminum!!! I will say that I fish from a boat, those that fish from the bank may have much less stress on them and might be ok, but if your gonna drop some coin on a net, buy aluminum and it will last you a life time.

Chico, it sounds like you had a crappy steel net. Maybe it was made with crap steel. My go to net is galvanized steel purchased from Ron Fuller five or six years ago and despite thousands of poundings on copper river rocks it is still beastly solid and a fantastic net. His welding has held up really well and no structural damage to the steel.

I purchased another from him this spring because I like it so much. Your anti steel comments are pretty naive.

Also, I just don't find it difficult to get the fish out of the gillnetting. 1 out of 10 may give moderate trouble but just pick up the net, let it untwist, and grab the fish, backing it out if necessary. Pretty simple. If you have trouble maybe tie up the bottom of the net so it's not as deep.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    Chico, it sounds like you had a crappy steel net.I purchased another from him this spring because I like it so much. Your anti steel comments are pretty naive.

No, naive. As I stated, I dip from a boat not the bank. That produces a little more stress on the net. The steel just doesn't hold up even tied off properly with an eye hook stragically installed. The problem with the steel, if it gets bent or kinked, it just weekens intil it breaks off. Over time, the water (salt water if dipnetting the Kenia) gets inside the tube and corrodes from the inside adding to the problem. Like I said, I have repaired 2 other nets for others as they break where the net joins the pole. I'm glad your works for you. When I buy another one, I will go aluminum as the other net I have borrowed is and works like a charm. As far as the gill net goes, I've replaced my net several times after making emergency repairs with Zip ties untill there are just too many. I have no issues with the gill net, just Crappy Steel! The original posted wanted to know what works well and what does not. I just wanted him to know the issues I have had and if he wants to spend his money wisely, he has the information of others to make his decision. Everyone has an opinion, thats mine, if it rubs you the wrong way, I won't loose any sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    If you have trouble maybe tie up the bottom of the net so it's not as deep.
    Don't do that unless you're looking for a ticket. The net MUST have a pouch that is at least 1/2 the depth as the largest diameter of your net opening. If you have a 5-foot net, you must have at least 2-1/2 feet deep worth of bag. They can and will cite you for illegal gear if the dimensions are not to spec. Fines start at $100.

Also, it's clear that you guys are talking about 2 different kinds of steel. The cheapo stuff he's referring to is galvanized conduit tubing from the electrical supply store. The heavy stuff that works is actual galvanized pipe (plumbing sized pipe). Two completely different animals.

My brother just bought one from Ron F. in Birchwood and it seemed like a quality dipnet. I bought one of the ones they sell at B + J Sports a few years ago when I first started Dipnetting and it is an expensive piece of junk. Instead of bolting together it has crappy pins that pop the poles together and after a few tides of abuse it gets really loose and flimsy in the water. It has also bent after a few seasons of use from just general wear and tear. My girlfriend's dad just bought one from Mike's in Sterling and it looked to be an excellent net as well. What I look for in a net now is a T handle with a loop and a rigid pole, then I wrap a piece of old garden hose around the bottom 1/4 of the net so it doesnt tear off the gillnet when you drag it up/down the beach.

Mike's welding in Sterling is the real deal. 262-1323. Tell him Joe sent you. I don't get a commission.

Keep in mind with aluminium, though, that it does not bend at all. It breaks. So, with a steel net you can bend it, repair it, and keep using it for a time until it stresses so much that it finally breaks through. With aluminium, when it goes, it goes. No bending and then repairing. It just shears off and so long.

I've not had this happen with a net yet, being new to the game, but have had it happen with aluminium bike frames.

That said, I have an aluminum net/pole set from B&Js in Anchorage. Not sure who makes them, but they've worked well thus far. I also have a B&B steel net from Sportsman's Warehouse and that works well as well.

Does anyone have contact info for Mr. Fuller in Birchwood?

tel:688-1271

Another good word for Ron's dipnets. His 5 foot hoop works great for shore fishing. Mine is 5 years old and looks as good as the day I got it. Had to have a new bag put on it this year which Ron replaced for a fair price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast