Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Range shooting schools?

Default Long Range shooting schools?

Are there any long range shooting classes here in AK? I shoot great out at 200-300 yards. But I would like to learn to shoot with crosswinds, uphill/downhill ect. and all other kinds of variables.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Find a Soldier on ft rich with a "RANGER" tab....

I deployed with the Rangers for 7 months, but I just couldn't get them to give me any shooting tips.

There are a lot of good sniper books out there...although some are just "wantabes". There is one written by a former Secret Service Uniform Div. countersniper that is good...don't recall the title but Bing should find it for you. Also, any of the guys that shoot long range competition can give you a lot of good info too.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

A quality range finder and range finding scope with practice can get the average shooter on a pie plate sized target out to 500 yards most often. The newer range finders will give you range compensation for angled shots. When used with a scope like Leupold's CDS system and a solid rest, range, spin the dial, hold for wind and pull the trigger.

I also recommend getting out and practicing,, making sure to add some climbing before you shoot to get your heart rate up.

practice, practice, practice...
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

One more thought...omce you find a load that works in you gun...stick with it and learn drop and wind drift out to the distances you plan to shoot. In addition to good glass, a quality trigger really makes life easier too and shoot in all different weather conditions and follow STID's advise.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Take up NRA highpower rifle competition.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

The biggest problem with learning long range (600 yds and up) is not the learning, but finding somewhere to practice. The learning part (to a degree) can be bought and read; having the right rifle set-up, a good consistent load, quality optics, then practising to learn your dope for ranges and wind. Then practice, practice. We are lucky to have a 500 yd range here on Kodiak to practice, but longer than that you have to get out into the hills (away from civilisation) and find one of the few targets (some steel plates) that have been placed on some hillsides! Obviously when doing this there are inherant safety issues in terms of knowing what is beyond and around that target. But for true long range (1000 yd stuff) schools, I do not know of anything up here.

Take the time to use a chrono to measure your loads. Use a ballistic program and print out a drop chart and tape it to your stock. I do this with all my loads and rifles.
    Founding Member

Thanks, I am trying to track down a chrono this week to use at the range on Saturday. I found a BC for my load. But I want to make sure it's actually traveling at 3078 FPS before I trust it.

"long range" is a subjective topic these days BUT the single word that keeps coming up again and again is "practice" ... "Practice" .... "practice" .... and MORE practice

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Thanks, I am trying to track down a chrono this week to use at the range on Saturday. I found a BC for my load. But I want to make sure it's actually traveling at 3078 FPS before I trust it.
    The $100 retail chronos are not hugely accurate, OK but not great.
    Go to the range and zero at 100yds. Then shoot at different ranges without holding over or adjusting sights. Accurately measure the drop, you will then find your true dope for those ranges. Then reverse engineer this into your BC and you will have a very accurate MV calculated. More accurate than a $100 chrono. You can then use this calculated MV for dope calculations at other ranges.

If your BC won't do this, then use Exbal and then put the MV back into your BC.

http://exbalapplications.com/ExbalUt...ajCorrect.aspx

the RCBS chrono I just got (case shaped like a big bullet) works well and seems to be as accurate as the Ohler I used for years - under $150

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    The $100 retail chronos are not hugely accurate, OK but not great.
    Go to the range and zero at 100yds. Then shoot at different ranges without holding over or adjusting sights. Accurately measure the drop, you will then find your true dope for those ranges. Then reverse engineer this into your BC and you will have a very accurate MV calculated. More accurate than a $100 chrono. You can then use this calculated MV for dope calculations at other ranges.

If your BC won't do this, then use Exbal and then put the MV back into your BC.

http://exbalapplications.com/ExbalUt...ajCorrect.aspx
    That is one of the best way to learn and achieve the best dope for a said rifle but keep in mind that every 20 degree of tempature will change your POA to POI

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

nbh40, thanks for the advice, I am goimg to do that tomorrow!

sweepint - you make a valid point, I've been told that you can expect at least 1" shift in POI "somewhere" for every 5000' elevation change up or down as well

It is also nice to have your partner spot for you and call your splash. Work out the exact way you will both communicate. If you miss make correction based on poi and fire for effect.
    Founding Member

nbh40, thanks for the advice, I am goimg to do that tomorrow!
    glad to help

Are there any long range shooting classes here in AK? I shoot great out at 200-300 yards. But I would like to learn to shoot with crosswinds, uphill/downhill ect. and all other kinds of variables.
    Alaska Rifle club sponsors 600 yard and 1000 yard shoots.

NRA has a long range school at Camp Perry

If anyone is ever in western Oregon, Darrell Holland puts on an excellant long range shooting course, 3 or 4 days I think in Powers Oregon in the coast range - His website tells alot about it and him - He's a very accomplished gunsmith and long experienced "shooter" - I've owned several rifles from him and they were all outstanding to say the very least - If memory serves me correctly, he started at Gunsite under Col. Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast