Thread: catching fish on a float

Default catching fish on a float

i am going on a float hunt out of bethel this fall and am courious about what my realistic catch could be? mainly hoping to catch some graylling and maybe a trout or two. what is normal on a trip like this? are they stacked up like cord wood or just very few scattered fish? favorite lures? I am taking a light weight spinning reel and have some 0 & 1 mepps. other suggestions?

I be going on the same trip as you next year, so if nobody offers, guess who I'll be asking this Oct!

IT will depend on which river for the trout, but big grayling should be most common in the upper reaches at that time of year. Your rig sounds great, white twister grubs (1/16 and 1/8 jigs) work well also. There are most likely going to be dolly varden in whatever stream you go to as well. Either way, you will catch something.

What's the River and timeframe?

Depending on river, you may be catching silvers. 5-12 lb fish. Plan accordingly if applicable. Large silver/pink spinners on 12 lb line would be a decent starting point. Grayling and dollies will hit larger spinners than you might think, but I would take a variety of sizes and colors. Pink, orange, silver, being my favorite fall colors. Again, you need to find out if the river has a silver run.

well i am going with papa bear and that is the only downfall i have with him is that he wont give me even a hint as to wich direction from bethtel we will be going. i have talked to him in person at the n*** show for last 2 years and he says not to worry he will put us on wich ever river is the best hunting. all the refrences i have talked to have said that they didnt try to catch fish. In my opinion it is part of the dream and the trip. that is why we are going for 14 days so we can enjoy all that the trip has to offer.

I am not really geared up for bigger fish like that! not to say that wouldnt be cool but we will have to upgrade one of our rods if that is the case. they bite on spinners also? other baits?

A bass rod and inline spinners will do the trick just fine, Only issue may be that the coho's will be pretty red by then, but that won't change the catchability one bit.

Did he at least give you a list of rivers? Some near there are world class trout rivers, others are big grayling and some Dollies. Few will have nothing in them.

What part of Southern Ill are you from? Spent some time in Salem a decade or so ago.

I floated a river a couple of years back. I took a bunch of smaller flourescent yellow and flourescent green mepps-type spinners. I never targeted trout although I catch them with those lures all the time in Idaho. I concentrated on pike. Every beaver lodge is holding at least 1. Also just about every piece of debris. Cast in close and retreive,repeat, pretty simple. Also target smaller streams and creeks just as they join the larger river (actually the river where the stream empties in). I caught dozens of pike in these areas. Bring a leatherman or similar for removing hooks quickly if you intend to release most of what you catch-go barbless.

we are going from sept 14-29. i got a few more mepps, vibrax and rooster tails in colors and size 2 & 3. that about has us for gear. we are mailing most of our stuff up next week. getting close!

Have a good trip and please post some pics.

Slim U probablly have what you need. I would expect to catch a lot of fish. Grayling and Dollies (some Char) are pretty thick in most rivers and as some have mentioned salmon and pike are a strong possibility. Papa Bear has a great rep. and I would count on him getting you on both.