Thread: 9x18 Makarov

Default 9x18 Makarov

Anyone loading 9mm Makarov? I picked up a CZ-82 for my wife. Never loaded for this before. I've heard Hornady HPs do well. Anybody confirm that or have other loads they are happy with?
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I've been reloading for my PA-63 in 9 x 18 for several years,just about any powder that works well in the 9mm will work well in the 9 x 18. I make all my own brass by converting once fire 9mm brass it's a pretty simple conversion to do http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yrmgh3SToE

As far as bullets I shoot my own home case Lee 95 gr. RN in my 9 x 18 and although the CZ has a ploygon bore it will shoot cast bullets as well,just cast them hard and use a good quality lube. My friend Andy shoots nothing but cast in his CZ with just a few flakes of lead to none at at after a couple hundred rds. fired.

The only jacketed bullet I've loaded and shot is in my 9 x 18 is the Speer Gold Dot 90 gr. HP which is no longer available but Speer still makes a FMJ 95 gr. RN and Hornady makes the 95 gr. XPT and there is always the Berry's 95 gr. plated RN. The CZ is a tough little gun and shoots very accurately and the double stack mags are a plus as well,watch your brass though as it really throws it out there.

Not sure if you can get this but it's some really good factory ammo to shoot in 9 x 18's http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...box&groupid=45

Keep your eye on Midway's sales. I bagged a bunch of Hornadays and they shoot well. Brass is spendy and I haven't had the patience to trim 9mm brass. I do mark the case head with a colored Sharpie, though, so I can easily distinguish my Makarov brass from 9mm range brass.

Yah, wish I could have gotten hold of some Gold Dot bullets a while back, but the difference between those and Hornadays is probably negligible.

If you come through Anchorage, The Ammo Can on Spenard usually carries the Russian brands (Wolf, Brown Bear) for a reasonable price. The brass isn't reloadable, but it shoots well.

The CZ is a great little gun. Anyone find a good concealed carry holster for it? I've thought about getting one for a Russian Makarov, figuring it would probably fit.

Sportsmans's in Fairbanks has Hornady XTP factory loads, so I picked up a couple boxes to try them out. We'll probably give it a try this weekend. I'm thinking that I'll most likely end up shooting a couple hundred factory loads and then reload the brass. Gun seems very nice (as I would expect from CZ). A little heavy for CCW, but I'm not a fan of super light guns. We'll see how the wife likes it.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison