Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2012-2013 Project... first custom 500L

Default 2012-2013 Project... first custom 500L

This is headed off to John Gallagher. It's one of his .510 5.5 inch barrels with machined Weigand sight base and ERH lug. NM Flat Top and of course will be Bisleyized, rust blued with some sheep horn grips. I'll see it back in about 9-12 months. It's gonna be a long winter!

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    It's gonna be a long winter!
    VERY long!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Snyd, hang in there I can remember when I first started to talk to R. Heinie about building me a comp .45 for IPSC. He quoted me around four years to get to my gun. I'm sure the end product of your winter project will be worth your wait.
    Steve

I worked out a trade deal with another forum member here. He was going to start casting, bought some moulds but life happened and he hasn't had time. I've now got the Balisti-Cast 440gr .512 mould and will keep us both supplied with boolits. That'll help keep me occupied until the gun is finished.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Gotta try some of the 525s we use, Snyd. You will not be disappointed! The wait will be long, but well worth it!

Snyd you are truly hooked by the pistol bug,enjoy.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

FedEx Fiasco today.....

Man.... what a fiasco... Living in Alaska shipping is spendy. I know a guy who has been jumping through the hoops to get his FFl and will probably have it any day now. He was going to mail my donor gun to Gallagher for me as a favor for the cost of USPS mail. Probably 30 bucks or so. I've had the gun/parts etc. boxed up and ready to go for a few weeks. Well, come to find out. If he (FFL) mails it, then Gallagher has to send it back to him and I have to get permission from the Feds to get my gun back from my FFL buddy.... 4473 blah blah blah.... FedEx overnight is 80 bucks so I figure it's worth the extra 50 to not get the Feds involved. I don't trust em. They had me screwed up in the system and it took me a year to get it squared away. No prob last time I did the NICS check but I don't trust em.

So I go to FedEx, tell the gal I have a handgun to ship and she says she needs the FFL number of the gunsmith unless it's a well known company. She says she doesn't know anything about guns but those are the rules... huh?? That's news to me, I don't read that anywhere on FedEx's list of rules. So, they don't really need the FFL, they just need to think they know it's going to be shipped to one????

I leave, PO'd. Go to work, email John and decide to call them back. I talk to the manager and she says ya, they need the FFL unless it's being sent to "you know, a nationally known gunsmith..." I say "well it is!" If you know anything about guns then you know John Gallagher is a well known (nationaly) gunsmith! I say how about you look him up online, check his website. She says no prob, come on back and they'll check it out and make sure the shipping address is the same as his website says. hmmmm, I thought the rules were they needed the FFL?

So I go back, the same first gal pulls up John's website but he doesn't have his address on his site. She's all confused now and says she doesn't know anything about guns (again) but her husband does... what does THAT have to do with anything.

I tell her to Google "Gallagher Firearms Alabama". Who knows what she does, she still can't find it. Finally she Googles what I told her to and she says... "oh, there it is...". She tells me to fill out the slip, has another guy finish up but never checks to see if the address I put on the slip was the one she found online...wow..... that's all I can say....

Anyway.... 80 bucks and an hour later it's off to Mr. Gallagher! Now the wait for the 500L begins!

Snyd, had the same type of deal last time BATF was here. She arrived at around 8 AM and didn't leave until 8 PM. Glad when she finally left. Don't trust 'em either. Been real AHoles ever since O'bama took office.
    Steve

I had a similar fiasco shipping a barrel last month with UPS . . . what a joke, just a barrel, should have called a pipe! Itís gotten so ridiculous lately.

That is the deal with FFLs though. I take it and I got to log it into my book then log it out as shipped . . . when it comes back got to log it back in then out on a 4473 even though itís your gun the whole time. Remember the snyrio where a guy from out of state ships his handgun for gunsmith work here in Alaska as a way to get it here? I looked into that too, nope, canít log it out of the book here to a resident of another state, got to do a 4473 just like a sale. Cant sell a handgun to a non Alaska resident, that would be an interstate transfer so the only way to get it off my book back to him is to log it out as shipped back to his state, anything else brakes the paperwork chain. Itís beyond stupid!

Tell your buddy it took me 66 days to get my interview (law says 60 days max) then 42 days later the license came in the mail, just turned up last week. They are slower than molasses at the Alaska office.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Snyd,
    What's the end of the day cost on this custom 500 Linebaugh, minus the shipping? Plus, does anybody have any data for a 435gr. bullet? Cast performance makes these but I sure can't find any data to match up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Max475 View Post
    Snyd,
    What's the end of the day cost on this custom 500 Linebaugh, minus the shipping? Plus, does anybody have any data for a 435gr. bullet? Cast performance makes these but I sure can't find any data to match up with it.
    Cost... a lot.... but I've always wanted a custom and a fifty so I'm gonna bite the boolit and scratch my itch for a fifty. Probably be my only one but I hear it's addictive!

I got the donor gun for 425. Bisley parts for about 150 I think. John Gallagher was selling a few octagon barrels as a fundraiser/donation to John Linebaugh after his heart attack. I got this one for 300 then decided to have hive go ahead with the build.. I understand that Clements and Bowen use Gallaghers octagon on thier guns and they run 995 on a conversion.

http://www.gallagherfirearms.com his base price is 1995.00 John Linebaugh base price 2400 on a Bisley, I talked to him, he hasn't updated his website which says 2200. Gallagher adjusted the price down for me since I had the barrel. 1700ish depending on a few things. That also includes fitting the new gripframe and making custom grips and Johns usual action job, blocking the action, rust bluing,etc. I'll supply the sheep horn for the grips. Pretty good price actually

After the FedEx fiasco, it turned out they didn't get it there overnight so I got a full refund! They were a day late. So I ended up with free shipping! That'll pay for my dies.

...And the suspense builds
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post

...And the suspense builds

Yup... still waiting. End of March will be 9 months. He said 9-12 months. I sent him the sheep horn a couple months ago to see if he can get any grip material out of it.

Still waiting? Any news?
    #Resist

Still waiting. Talked/emailed John in April about Thad Rybka holster and a couple other things

I hope that yopu enjoy your custom 500 as much as I enjoyed mine

Hell, saw this post and thought I was goin to see pictures of this long awaited project at work. Figures crossed it will arrive soon.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    Hell, saw this post and thought I was goin to see pictures of this long awaited project at work. Figures crossed it will arrive soon.

Will

LOL ya... iofthetaiga resurrected this thread... But, arokcrwlr over at the other forum posted this today...

"I talked to John last week about another subject, but asked him about my 500L project while I had him on the phone. He said that he would be starting on about 5 conversion guns this week - cylinders I think. Mine was among them and he's had it for nearly a year - yours is probably one of the others. Patience is a virtue...you are correct, it will be done when it's done."

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    LOL ya... iofthetaiga resurrected this thread...
    "Resurrected"? This thread wasn't dead....we're all just waiting. And waiting...and waiting....
    #Resist

Still one thing missing from this pic...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast