Thread: How close is to close?

Default How close is to close?

One of the other threads about finding a transporter got me thinking about this. It's been discussed in a lot of ways and each species may be different and if you think that please state so and qualify your statement if you can. I would really love to hear from some of the guides thoughts on this.

Moose?
    Sheep?
    Brown Bear?
    Caribou?

At what distance would it not bother you that someone set up near you?
    At what distance would you place a camp next to another hunter?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    One of the other threads about finding a transporter got me thinking about this. It's been discussed in a lot of ways and each species may be different and if you think that please state so and qualify your statement if you can. I would really love to hear from some of the guides thoughts on this.

Moose?
    Sheep?
    Brown Bear?
    Caribou?

At what distance would it not bother you that someone set up near you?
    At what distance would you place a camp next to another hunter?
    I wouldn't have cared how close someone else set up camp near me, unless that other party included a professional guide.

On the other hand, I would NEVER set up a camp near another party. Five miles might be enough in certain types of country, but never any closer than that.

To each his own, though . . . . .

if you can smell their campfire or see the camp, you're too close. On moose floats a mile or two is plenty of distance apart. But it depends on moose traffic and density. most callers call moose in from 1-2 miles away. If i float by an established camp, i float until noise and odors have cleared (1-3 miles), but in some cases five or six bends will be sufficient.

Sheep hunting is very different since the hunters are mobile and need lots of elbow room for spotting and pursuing legal rams, so i give at least 3 miles between other groups, more if sheep are scarce.

Caribou depends on numbers and movement. i go where animals are best pursued, sometime less than a mile from other camps.

larry

it would be really nice to hear some of the guides thoughts on this
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Aren't the two who have responded guides or at least former guides?

Personally it really depends on the situation. Sheep I will chat with you and figure out if we have a conflict. Moose near town there isn't much we can do as there are more hunters than space. Caribou.... Really who cares? I won't impede your stalk but if the animals are there then it won't matter much. If we are remote off the road system then I would try and get far enough away as to not see you but that is more for my own desire for solitude and respect for others desire of the same.

Depends on the situation..

Moose? I wouldn't set up within a mile or so and expect others to do the same. Maybe not so much in very popular areas..but I don't really hunt popular areas.

Sheep? I don't want to share a good sized drainage with another sheep hunting party. If they're in the next drainage over, that's fine with me.

Brown Bear? I only hunt them as a target of opportunity with other stuff, I don't know.

Caribou? Heck, if the bou are there then set up next door and pull up a chair to the fire. If the bou aren't there I'll be leaving anyway.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I can only relate this to my experience down here: If I pull into a bay and a boat is already there, I leave. I most definitely expect the same respect as well. I would like to be able to walk around in the near zero visibility most country affords down here, without doing mental gymnastics about effective killing ranges. By that I mean bullets go a long ways, I would like to be at least a drainage away.