Thread: Kenai Boat Launch

Default Kenai Boat Launch

I posted this in the freshwater fishing section without an answer, but I was wondering if the dock is leaving the ramp open during low tides right now since they aren't too extreme? It's usually closed 2 hours before and after the low... just wondering if anyone was aware of this happening or not?

I asked about this on Sunday when I was there and they said that when the low is around a minus 2 then they will have to shut the launch down. I launched at low on Sunday and it was a +2. Not too much room on the dock, but enough to tie up one boat and enough to launch mine. Pretty busy at the Kenai dock but they had workers telling people which lane to take and it went pretty smoothly. I don't think i will be going there this weekend though. I will sit back and watch the show.

The launch at the Cannery has to close a lot earlier when the tide goes out. They are also charging $40 to launch and park. Seems a little steep to me. You can always launch at the Pillars or Eagle Rock and zip down too. I could hear boats from my house heading down the river yesterday.

how long of a run is it from Pillars to Dip net area? Time wise. Any known obsticals to be aware of?

Half hour or so... coming back with a full boat up current will be a touch longer.

Quote Originally Posted by NORTH2AK View Post
    how long of a run is it from Pillars to Dip net area? Time wise. Any known obsticals to be aware of?
    Having done it the past 2 days, I'd say about 20 minutes. As far as obstacles, when you get to the bridge in Kenai, watch out for the large concrete pillars that hold the bridge up.

Also, about half way down, is where the King sonar equipment is located. Stay in the middle of the river to avoid it. It is well marked both in the river with buoys, as well as with bright orange signs as you approach from either direction.

And if you're driving over the bridge, watch out for the 40ft motorhome that's been camped on the side of the road for 4 days cleaning fish on the side of the highway. Have some respect people.