Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ram back from taxidermist!

Default Ram back from taxidermist!

I finally got my ram back from the taxidermist. It's not the best mount I've ever seen (looks like he lost some fur from his nose), but I think he turned out decent, and I'm proud as heck to have him on the wall. He's also not the biggest ram, but that just means I have a reason to go after another one sometime (when funds permit)! He's just slightly less than full curl...double broomed and the bio said 9 years. Enjoy, and may this further your sheep fever now that we are within a month of the season opener!P1011832.jpgP1011840.jpg

Beautiful sheep! You have a great reminder of a hunt and something beautiful to look at.

Thanks for sharing. Who did the taxi work?

I'm getting pumped, as I might get a chance to chase sheep again this year.

Man, this takes me back to that mountainside! The "is it legal, it looks close, man he keeps turning his ass toward us.... is he ever going to give a good view?.... he looks awful thick at the tips not to be broomed..." That was a GREAT hunt! I sat across a canyon watching this ram through 10x bins for a loooonnnnnggg time while c04hoosier made his stalk. I remember watching the spray from the rocks as the first round passed through and hit the cliff side behind him. I think I watched him so long I forgot we were hunting him! The impact alone was a total surprise to me and I was trying to reconcile what my eyes just saw with what was going on until the sound of the rifle finally drifted to my ears and brought me back to reality.

Do you think the missing hair on the nose if a byproduct of the tumble into that ridiculous jagged boulder filled canyon? Probably my only regret from that trip is leaving the video camera at the strip when we resupplied. I could have had over an hour of footage leading up to and including the kill shot had I just left it in my pack!

OK, second regret is never seeing that dark horned twin to this guy again!

very nice indeed, who was the taxidermist? This is no ding on your mount in any way, I'm just asking because i don't know much about sheep mounts. The hair on the face doesn't look very even or laying smooth on the face. Is that the way he looked or suppose to look? Like, I said, please don't think I'm knocking your trophy or the quality of the work. You made a comment that leads me to think that you are happy with it but feel that it could be a little better of a taxi job. I would be very happy to have that on my wall !! So congrats and you do have a beautiful reminder, sounds like it got Lujon remembering.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Jon, that sure was a great hunt...I really wish we could have gotten you a ram too, though. Other than that, my biggest regret is not taking good "hero" shots with him. I got in a hurry to get him cut up and packed out due to the weather coming back in. A video of the stalk would have been really cool too, although I DEFINITELY wouldn't be able to show it to my wife.

I think part of the hair loss might be attributable to the fall. I do remember a cut on his nose, but I'm not sure it explains all of it. Mount'n High Taxidermy in Colorado Springs, CO did the mount. As far as the hair not laying flat, I'm not sure how to explain it. He is pretty woolly; even the taxidermist commented on how much hair he had, so that probably explains some of that. Either way, like I said, I'm proud as heck to have him on the wall. Sometimes my wife gets mad at me because I'll be staring at the ram while she's talking to me

Beautiful unique ram.. Congrats.

Looks awesome!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Once again, Congrats on a nice Ram...You ready to do it again?

nice ram man...ive always really wanted a double broomer.

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post
    nice ram man...ive always really wanted a double broomer.
    Personally I've only seen a couple double broomers that I would have liked to have had for myself. When they are really big, come down low on the jaw, and hold the mass all the way to the broom, THEN that is appealing to me. Other than that I really like the classy looks of a big ram still with it's lamb tips.....

Speaking of broomed....... How much "broom" determines a broomed ram? Reason I ask is because my first ram has one side slightly broomed. But to me, it's so slight, I wouldn't even consider it broomed.....even thought it is. So if a ram is double broomed, which now makes him legal no matter what, how much broomed off does it have to be to be LEGALLY broomed? I would have to think this would be another point of confusion.....eh?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The reg doesn't say how much it just says that it must be broken and not simply rubbed off smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Personally I've only seen a couple double broomers that I would have liked to have had for myself. When they are really big, come down low on the jaw, and hold the mass all the way to the broom, THEN that is appealing to me. Other than that I really like the classy looks of a big ram still with it's lamb tips.....

Speaking of broomed....... How much "broom" determines a broomed ram? Reason I ask is because my first ram has one side slightly broomed. But to me, it's so slight, I wouldn't even consider it broomed.....even thought it is. So if a ram is double broomed, which now makes him legal no matter what, how much broomed off does it have to be to be LEGALLY broomed? I would have to think this would be another point of confusion.....eh?

This one is clearly "Broomed" both horns "Broken"

This one is not broomed, although it has some splintered off. The trooper said that worn rounded tips are not broomed in his option.

Ask a couple troopers and get a couple different answers.

Good luck to all this fall.
    Founding Member

'In his opinion'....gotta love it

Who did the taxi work on the broomer?

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    'In his opinion'....gotta love it

Who did the taxi work on the broomer?
    Rich Hamilton Brow-tine taxidermy in North Pole.
    Founding Member

I bet the FBX fish and feathers office would call both those sheep that stid posted broomed

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I bet the FBX fish and feathers office would call both those sheep that stid posted broomed
    They did the double broomer,, had the 2nd one sealed by the trooper at Cold Foot.
    Founding Member

A few more pics of the 2nd one after it was mounted and close ups of the tips.

Sorry for the highjack Hoosier,,

Your Rams looks great, I about cut the ear off that double broomer and as you can see the other one also cut his nose in the shale.

Just adds to the story.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

yep i know what ya mean dave...but at the end of the day i like old animals of any species, and while i'm sure not all double broomers are old, i'd go as far to say most of em are, and i like the character. far as aesthetics go a big deep curl forty incher with a touch of flare and lamb tips turns me on...lol, but then who dont like em like that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast