Thread: Pot Puller Rental???

Default Pot Puller Rental???

Hey guys, i have my dad and his buddies coming up here in august. I usually pull up my pots with an anchor rope pulley, but with my companies age i figure i will be doing the majority of the work and not a majority of the captaining. If you guys had some suggestions on where i can find pot pullers for rent it would be greatly apprecieated. I am renting a boat so maybe a brutus or something like that i can mount on a board and clamp it to the rail would work amazing. any suggestions would be fantastic. thanks guys. its for three days in august, they have never been to the wonderful pws rain forest before.

joe.

maybe the outfit your renting the boat from has a hauler to rent? as for clamping a borrowed one to the rail/gunnel?? i'd have a safety chain attached to it somehow.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks for the info potbuilder. I am renting from base so there is no pot pullers that they offer. And i will def. throw a safety device on that puller. I was just trying to make it easier and more enjoyable for us, and i have heard of the clamping method before with these boats.

Hey Joe, Do any of those boats have an anchor puller? If so, just use that.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

No anchor puller, all they use is the anchor bouy system. I works but i dont think my dads shoulders could flake all the rope in while keeping tention on the pots. I would be the one doing it all.....haha

Maybe if someone had a gas powered one i could rent from them, or something along the lines of that. Any help would be appreciated, or ideas?

You might think about buying one (a brutis) using it for 3 days then selling it... If a rental was $50 a day you could take $150 off your price and break even. I have seen them on Craigslist from time to time, but they go quick... If this is something your interested in let me know I may buy it off you...

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I wouldn't ever try and pull pots with a puller that is "clamped" to the boat, no matter how many safety devices were on it. Your best bet is to pull the pots using the bouy method. Recovering the line isn't that strenuous...at least no more so than using a Ace Brutus.

That is a pretty good idea with the buying one then selling it. And i have heard of people mounting the puller on a 3' long 2x8 then that gives them enough meat to clamp it down to the rail of the boat. It is an idea but i might just have to use the bouy system. If i do end up buying one i might get into contact with you shum. thanks again.

What dates would you need the puller in August? I have a Safe-T-Puller STP-2100 with davit that you could probably borrow. The base and side mount are attached to my boat and unavailable, so you would need at least a way to anchor the davit. Also, it is electric so you'll need access to the battery terminals of your boat. If you would like to look at it, I'm in Eagle River and home all weekend.

Thanks Alasken1

I sent you a PM. I am sure i would be able to find a way to mount that davit on there. I also have a battery from my boat so i was thinking i would just bring that to hook it right up to it. If that ended up draining i would be able to very easily tap into the boats battery source. thanks again

Pot pullers definately put a load on the battery and you need to be running the engine to keep the battery charged. If you just run off the battery the voltage drops and the motor on the puller will start over-heating.

I'm not sure how one could securely attach a davit w/o through bolting a bulkhead. Pullers put out a decent amount of force, especially if you hang up a pot. Figure the puller should be able to support your weight as a guideline of how securely it should be mounted.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Hey Joe, I PM'ed you Friday morning about the puller/davit. If you didn't receive it, PM me your personal email or cell phone number. Thanks!

I am bringing up this thread again to say thanks to all who helped and made my family have a time of their lives. I would like to throw out a big thanks to Alasken1, and his willingness to help me in a time of need. The craziest thing about all of this, is this forum is full of amazing careing people. Real Alaskans, who help and teach the people who are new to the Alaskan Outdoors. This is the only place where a complete stranger will let you barrow his pot puller just to show your family a good time. And to keep it with this thread....we did attach it to the rental boat with plent of blocking and bracing...along with a couple C clamps. And after discussion with all the family members, whether it be a few hundred dollar fishing trip, or a couple thousand dollar fishing trip with a lost pot puller. We all came to the agreement of putting a safety quarter inch steal cable, along with a braided anchor rope, just for the piece of mind......haha, thanks guys for the help and ideas how to mount it......And thanks again Ken for being a very very good person.. Please keep in touch, and hope to talk to you again soon....

Joe.

so how did the clamping work out for you?

I pull our pots by hand - we use the anchor line roller on the bow of the boat - previously on my zodiac, I used a scotty pot pulley to pull them up. Good for the forearms and bicepts (and legs sometimes too)!

I hope to save enough to mount a davit and puller on my little searunner for next year. I have zero idea how to mount it on my little boat (18'er) but I will come up with something solid.

We hung the rope this last trip out, and I had to cleat off the rope and pull it pretty hard with the boat to pop whatever was holding it at the bottom - I didn't lose any pots, but I sure thought I was going to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    so how did the clamping work out for you?

I pull our pots by hand - we use the anchor line roller on the bow of the boat - previously on my zodiac, I used a scotty pot pulley to pull them up. Good for the forearms and bicepts (and legs sometimes too)!

I hope to save enough to mount a davit and puller on my little searunner for next year. I have zero idea how to mount it on my little boat (18'er) but I will come up with something solid.

We hung the rope this last trip out, and I had to cleat off the rope and pull it pretty hard with the boat to pop whatever was holding it at the bottom - I didn't lose any pots, but I sure thought I was going to.
    If you can figure out how to mount a downrigger base to your boat an Ace linehauler will slide right on to it.
    I have the one that mounts to my cannon downrigger mounts but they also make one that mounts to the Scotty downrigger mounts.
    I beefed up my mounts by attaching a 9" X 12" X 1/4" thick aluminum plate under my fiberglass transom and bolted through that with the bolts for the downrigger base. You might not need that on your aluminum boat.
    I pull my 4'x4' crab pots in Homer with mine no problem although it is a little slow.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I already have downrigger plates mounted and they have backing supports (that might need to be beefed up). That was one thought I had, but I am hoping to save the $ for something a little stronger than an Ace, in which case I might find that the downrigger plates aren't strong enough.....