Thread: first time rookie

Default first time rookie

Me and my buddy are flying out of tok on the 27 of next month for carilbou, this is the first for me, can someone tell me the most inportant things i should have with me, besides my rifle and ammo. and enough mountain house. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rayruner View Post
    Me and my buddy are flying out of tok on the 27 of next month for carilbou, this is the first for me, can someone tell me the most inportant things i should have with me, besides my rifle and ammo. and enough mountain house. thanks
    Well, you might want to consider a sturdy pack frame, a good (that means GOOD) knife, adquate raingear (the expensive kind) and a few other essentials . . . . .

Bug dope and rain gear.

GOOD tent.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Game bags....a grizzly tag if in Charlie River Preserve....unless you are a non-resident....

That questions opens up a ton of possibilities. As mentioned, good raingear and tent, a thermacell for camp, SAT PHONE, light gloves, head net for bugs (trust me, take one). water purifier, possbilities are endless.

Common Sense is the best thing to have in the field, followed by fire, shelter, good clothing with a spare set of clothing as well, and some choice munchies, youll be fine.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

all of the things mentioned really cover it. The best thing that you can do for yourself is to go through your gear and cut it back. I did and many first timers take way to much gear which = weight. You can look here and find many check lists, get one and go through it with a fine tooth comb and triple check it. The two things that I didn't notice mentioned was a proper first aide kit and a sat phone. I do recommend the Spot locator. If you get the spot but the insurance that they offer. It's really cheap but you have to get it at the time of signing up. It covers any rescues up to $100,000 for $12.95.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    all of the things mentioned really cover it. The best thing that you can do for yourself is to go through your gear and cut it back. I did and many first timers take way to much gear which = weight. You can look here and find many check lists, get one and go through it with a fine tooth comb and triple check it. The two things that I didn't notice mentioned was a proper first aide kit and a sat phone. I do recommend the Spot locator. If you get the spot but the insurance that they offer. It's really cheap but you have to get it at the time of signing up. It covers any rescues up to $100,000 for $12.95.
    Thanks for all the answers, I got everything mentioned, except a sat , i'm going to have it send to 40 mile and save a weeks rent. one question i hope someone will take a shot, whats the weather near tok between aug 27 and sept 10. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rayruner View Post
    Thanks for all the answers, I got everything mentioned,
    Ok then......I have to ask....what tent do you have? As far as I'm concerned this is just about THE most important.. You need something that can stand up to driving rain and just plain wind. You "can" get away with a cheaper tent, it you can throw a tarp over it and tie it down. If you can just rely on your rain fly then it better be the kind that comes all the way down to the ground.....not the kind that stop short about a foot or more.

Believe me, you don't want to leave camp on your hunt, be gone all day and have the wind come up, only to find that when you return your tent is gone...!!! I haven't had that happen to me...(almost did) but have heard of it happening more than a few times to others. I have, however, spent a few nights holding the tent up from the inside as I was afraid the poles would break from the wind if I didn't. And that was with a good Cabella's Guide Tent. Learn how to guy INTO the wind, not so much straight down to the ground. This usually involves propping up a stick, pole, caribou antler shed, whatever...up higher where the guy line leaves the tent, THEN on down to the ground.

Hella winds can reek havoc on your camp...........so be prepared....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The number 1 thing to bring is a good attitude.
    As a first timer, you'll experience things that don't go "according to plan". When that happens, you need to adapt & file a new plan. Has your partner got some experience with a remote hunt? Did you pack reading material (in case you're stuck in the tent due to weather problems)? Do you have extra food packed, in case of a pick-up delay due to weather?
    If you've never hunted caribou before and you're looking for a trophy, do you know what a trophy looks like? Caribou antlers look like nothing else in the animal kingdom and if all you've seen before is whitetail, any caribou will look enormous (antler-wise).

lots of good one so far but common sense and a good attitude were great answers. Soooo many hunters get discouraged after bad weather,lack of game,being sore.ect when that happens things just go down quick. Weather gets better(well maybe..lol) caribou move muscles heal. Keep your wits and chin up and shoot have fun and hunt hard, in the grand scheme of things very few get this kind of experience so enjoy the hell out of it...

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    What brand of sat phone is this? and does anybody make a sat phone you can take pics with and send? sorry no experience with sat phones but am looking at buying/renting

The SPOT is a personal locator/transmitter, it will send you location to a computer and preloaded messages to let people kow you are alright. It has no voice transmissin capability and can be bought in a number of outdoor stores. http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=101[/url]

I don't know of any sat phone that takes and transmits pictures. The Irridium phone is best for Alaska in my experience.

Predicting weather for that time period? Not a chance. Plan on rain because it will, plan on wind because it will blow. Take clothes so you can layer and be preparaed for anything from 70 down to 20. I've had days in the 50s and wake up in the morning to find everything frosted and/or frozen. Third week in Sept I woke up to 3 inches of new snow on the ground over in GMU 17.

You can get satellite phones that will interface to a computer and provide network connectivity but that service is extremely expensive, and you'll need to carry a computer in addition to the phone. SPOT Connect and Delorme InReach will both allow you to send messages (email and SMS) to people but I'm not really a fan of using a locator for anything else, given the toll radio stuff takes on battery life and given that if you're having to use two devices (the satellite transmitter and your phone) it's more likely that something will fail.

Got everything mentioned, good tent , cabels best, say phone, iridum 9505a global.com 1 888 0707,bought pillow cases on sale for game bags, would be nice to use a few, at my age i should have some common sense, and i'm starting out with a good attitude, also bought a good scale, going to get close to 50 lbs before i leave, so i'm not in a **** and sweat when i get there.

You should probably consider leaving your new pillowcases in the closet and use them for their manufactured purpose. Wait until you get in-state to purchase heavy duty game bags made for holding game meat. The tight thread counts and light construction of pillowcases will increase the odds of meat spoilage by holding in heat and by dirt contamination. If you are looking for light-weight gear for a fly in, check out the T.A.G. bag adds found on this site. Larry Bartling has some excellent info in his float hunting books concerning keeping game meat in the field. AK F&G takes a very dim view of spoiled meat, regardless of your best intentions and efforts to keep it fresh.

[QUOTE=whats the weather near tok between aug 27 and sept 10. thanks[/QUOTE]

Here's a handy website for seeing what the weather might be like for certain places and dates. It won't work for some places way back in the boonies, but for a place like Tok, or Fairbanks, or even Hawaii....it works. One thing to consider though, if you end up in the mountains near Tok, the weather can be totally different.

http://www.wunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp