Thread: stockingfoot, breathable waders

Question stockingfoot, breathable waders

I started wearing Teva water shoes 5 years ago as my primary canoe and riverine hunting boots. I've been using neoprene waist waders for several years, now, with the water shoes. The system works quite well for me. However ... I'd like to explore the purchase of a breathable pair, as long as they are reasonably tough, and, perhaps have a pocket(s). The most likely pair I've seen, so far, are the Patagonia Gunnison wading pants ... a little pricey, but that's life. Experience, suggestions and reviews appreciated.

Note ... I am looking for information on waterproof/breathable waders ... not just waist waders; chest or hippers as well as waist waders. Which of the available wp/breathable waders fabric systems are worth considering. Tough, decent fit, long lived, etc. What works for you Alaskan experts? Thanks.

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks, 4merguide. I had hoped that those who've used wp/breathable waders, boot or sockfoot, would give info on which are the brands that work or didn't work for them. What are the good brands ... Orvis, Frogtoggs, Cabelas, Patagucci, or any of the other brands? Who are the good makers? I don't know where to look for Alaskan proven breathable waders.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I picked up a set of G4 breathable waders from SIMMS this year at our local Fly Fishing Store in the valley...they have been excellent in all aspects, tough, comfortable and functional...Pricey, but you get what you pay for..I do not expect to have to replace them for a LONG LONG time...They also have several boots styles that make hiking very manageable...good luck

I've got a pair of Simms G3 waders (I'm a female-type human and these were the sturdiest breathables I could find), but I have to say that those Redington Sonic Seam waders look outstanding and they're somewhat less money. They've gotten very good reviews, too. Haven't tried them, myself (back to the very limited options for female-type humans).

The G3's are the toughest waders I've used that still fit well and don't wear like iron. Have hunted lots of stuff in them. I got the streamtread boots from Simms as well, not the lightest things, but excellet traction and support in stream and the field. The multi layered knee and leg segments help when bushwacking and kneeling and getting in and out of boats. Have packed out several moose wearing them and have no issues at all. Dip in the lake with a bar of soap and they even come clean.

G4's just have more doodads and are not any tougher in reality, and cost a bunch more.

I have had a couple of the Cabela's breathable waders with neoprene stocking feet. I like them. They don't last forever but they held up a for a few years each. If I wasn't so lazy and would seam seal them once the seams leak I could get a couple more years out of them. I use the worn out ones for clam digging or riding the wheeler or cut the feet off and use them like rain gear. I don't remember exactly what model the ones I bought were but check them out. I see no need to buy $400 waders when I can buy $150 waders and replace them a couple times over 5-6 years. That way if they get a hole in them I don't feel so bad.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I'll post on behalf of this subject this spring. I've run rivers exclusively in Lacrosse Hip boots and a Helly Hansen Guide Jacket. Constant pulling canoes over shallows, going over my hip boots and getting wet, and the inner fabric of the helly hansen WICKING water up the fabric......has prompted me to drop this junk and change gear. The waist high "patagucci" Gunnison looks promising. I don't want chest high waders though, that's just too much if yah ask me. Running rivers in waste high Gunnisons, this would eliminate a long guide jacket, and eliminate water wicking up the fabric. Another thing that would be nice, is pulling the wader inside out and having them quickly dry overnight. I've grown to HATE hipboots with built in insulation. When they're new....they're nice, but when you wear em out.....you'll never get em dry.

Like wise, patagonia used to make hip highs with stocking feet too. They no longer make those, but you can buy them for 100 dollars less than the original retail price. I found one retailer who still has a storage of them. I'm a bit concerned about the quietness of the wader material, but moose hunting rivers/creeks, you aint brush thrashing often.

You folks with normal bodies are lucky...I used to have one until I stopped smoking. They never make waist or chest waders with short legs and a 40" waist so I'm stuck with hip boots or fold over the legs which doesn't work. Don't tell me to loose weight because I've been eating rice cakes and salads for 6 months to no avail.

I can't be the only person out there with this issue....anyone?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.