Thread: muzzy broadheads

Default muzzy broadheads

i am wondering if anyone shoots muzzys and if there is any benifit between the three and four blade

I used to shoot the muzzy 3 blades and killed many whitetail with them. But they can require some tunning and may be difficult to tune to feild points if your bow is not shooting through paper properly. I now shoot NAP expandables and love the way they fly. Whenever i have these in my quiver I truly have 100% confidence in dropping whatever i shoot. (I beleive the confidence I have in these broad heads help me make well placed shots every time. And you may have this experince with muzzys if you take the time to tune them properly) I hope this helps you make your next puchase!!!!!

I shoot them and I love them. They can be a pain to tune but that goes with any broadhead. Muzzys put big holes in critters they push skin and cut,leaving a nice wound channel. I prefer the 3 blade 125 and I line up the blades with the vanes. I also spin them to ensure no wobble. I never paper tune(unless I have a problem I cant fix) I simply shoot field points then shoot broadheads and see where the point of impact difference a lot can be told about spline and such just by doing that and go from there. then I group shoot the broad heads and if they are grouping good and flying straight(shoot a 5 spot to save vanes and nocks) then just sight them in and you are good to go.here is a link to eastons tuning chart which is a really good read even covers paper tuning.

north slope moose shot with muzzys

I haven't used Muzzy's but just last night I went thru the Idaho elk kills (on Bowsite.com) and found the majority used Muzzy broadheads. I've used vented 2 blade cut on contact for years successfully on whitetail but wanted to see what everyone is using on elk. My elk kills have been with a gun. I'm probably going topick up a "6 pack" of Muzzy 4 blade 125 gr and see how they shoot.

One other point, I just got some FOBs that I'm playing with using broadheads. They claim and my testing seems to confirm that they do steer broadheads a little better than vanes. I have tried several different broadheads (some vented and some solid) and the FOBs tend to shoot better than vaned arrows but not always the same as field points. I've only shot maybe 125 arrows with the FOBs so I'm not wiling to make any claims yet. I'm shooting 125gr at 58 lbs using Carbon Express 5570's on the FOB's with an Apache drop-away. My only complaint with the FOBs is the price...$30 for a dozen pieces of plastic...but if they really work, I suppose it is worth it.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

I shoot exclusively Muzzy 3 Blade 125 Gr broad heads. I tried a mechanical once in the mid 90's and had a very bad experience. I've never tried the 4 blade so I have no info. I will say, as said by Shimano 33 that you will have to fine tune each broad head. Not much work IMHO. I always mark my arrows with the number system as how accurate/true they fly and always use them in order. There is not much difference in most cases, but every little bit helps. I've taken 9 whitetail and one moose so far over the years in a total of 5 seasons and have never had a bad experience with a Muzzy. I buried one in a moose ball joint due to a deflection and it buried so deep, I had to cut it out during processing. I shot a large whitetail once on a servere quartering shot, hit the femorial artery and when I found it the knock was just barely visible at the artery entrance and the broadhead was 1/2 way out the other cavitity just behind the opposite shoulder. He ran 30 yards and dropped with the entire shaft burried in his chest cavity. A blind man could have followed the blood trail. That was a lot of penetration to go through. That was my third deer and from then on, I was sold. Its been around for a long time now and they are still considered a premium broadhead so that should tell you something on their track record. Good luck on your selection.

I shoot Muzzy exclusively, both the 100 grain 3 blade and the 100 grain Mx 3 blade. I shot a three brow tine bull moose that had his elbow a little back and the trochar tip exploded the humerus into three separate pieces. The second arrow punched through the ribs and lifted him completely off his feet. I am sold, I love them. I have never had one rust on a rainy season as other brands had. Simple, minimal parts to go bad, and easy to change out the blades. The practice heads have really helped me tune my arrows.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Roger, when you say practice heads do you mean feild points or just older dull muzzys for tunning???? Just curious!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    Roger, when you say practice heads do you mean feild points or just older dull muzzys for tunning???? Just curious!!!!!!

Muzzy Blades come with a set of practice blades and regular blades along with the head and point. You have to put them together. The practice blades are same weight and size, justs blunt dull.