Thread: DM719 Rule Change Question????

Default DM719 Rule Change Question????

Hello,

I have a question regarding the recent rule change to dm719. I got the tag the other day and read the instructions on it. The new rule says you can not shoot a cow accompannied by a calf, but you can shoot a calf now. This is were it gets confusing. If you can shoot a calf, can you shoot one accompanied by a cow? Here is an even better one. My best friend and I have the exact same tag, so if i shoot the calf and expire him/her. Can my buddy now shoot the cow due to the fact she is not accompanied by the calf anymore? I havent called adfg yet but i will to get a detailed explanation. But the way i read it, I can shoot the calf and once it expires, my buddy can dispatch the cow. Make for a quick freezer fill of delicious veal moose

Any Thoughts?

Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    Hello,

I have a question regarding the recent rule change to dm719. I got the tag the other day and read the instructions on it. The new rule says you can not shoot a cow accompannied by a calf, but you can shoot a calf now. This is were it gets confusing. If you can shoot a calf, can you shoot one accompanied by a cow? Here is an even better one. My best friend and I have the exact same tag, so if i shoot the calf and expire him/her. Can my buddy now shoot the cow due to the fact she is not accompanied by the calf anymore? I havent called adfg yet but i will to get a detailed explanation. But the way i read it, I can shoot the calf and once it expires, my buddy can dispatch the cow. Make for a quick freezer fill of delicious veal moose

Any Thoughts?

Joe.
    Based on the information you provided, it sounds like you could do your scenario legally. If shooting a calf is legal, then you shouldn't have a problem with taking that first. The rule regarding not taking a cow with a calf is because taking the cow will almost always result in the calf dying later anyway. Taking the calf does not have the same impact on the cow since it will live on just fine without the calf. Now, AFTER you have taken the calf, the cow should now be fair game as long as it is a legal animal for the permit. I would make sure that the calf is expired before taking a shot at the cow. The last thing you want is to kill the cow and have the calf get away somehow and then you are in violation of the rules as a result despite what you had intended to do.

Sounds right to me.If both females then we can figure over the years at least ten moose the bears and wolfs can't eat.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thats what I was thinking....There must be so many moose in this area (Minto Flats area) that they would implement this rule. I understand the mature mating cow, but to make calves legal make me ponder how they come up with that. Why would unit 20C have a one bull only limit in the month of september, but unit 20B in my area 100 yards accross the river be able to harvest calves? I guess thats why they get paid more than me. thanks for the input guys.

Joe.

I wanted to post this to close out the thread. I have talked to the 20B area DUDE "Don Peterson" about this exact question. He agreed and said that exact question came up in front of the board once they were talking about taking any calf. It is all heard management.....There are so many moose in the area they are afraid there is not enough food. If moose keep populating and populating they will loose nutrience, and all it will take is a big winter or a spike in predators to really wipe them out.

Fill the freezer with prime time game meat, and help moose health at the same time.....That is why I signed up for this tag, to pop my moose harvest cherry and fill the freezer. thanks guys and good hunting

joe.