Thread: Homeade Sea duck decoy question?

Default Homeade Sea duck decoy question?

So I was looking on Ebay for some fishing jig molds and saw they have a lot of duck and goose decoy molds for sale.
    some of these molds probably came out of some old decoy factories some where that probably closed down others may have been made to make decoys at home
    I would guess if a guy had a cheap source of spray foam or something similiar he could easily whip out a bunch of decoys and paint them to look like seaducks.
    I am not a seaduck hunter but just thought I would throw the idea out there and see what you guys think.
    has any of you tried this method? Might be a better decoy than old soda bottles painted up.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

New one on me, Chris, and I've been making decoys for 30 years. I'd guess they were some kind of rigid molds into which one sprayed expanding foam. Never heard of anything similar being made commercially, but who knows . . I've seen canvas decoys, cardboard, compressed paper, and cork . . never foam . .

Good luck . .

I inherited some foam decoys. I like them a lot. Very light...right themselves when thrown, and can take a few stray bb's.

Foam and cork decoys are awesome, they are just hard to come by these days
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

crab pot float sawn in half with 1/2" plywood bottom painted black white make great seaduck decoys. prettycheap to make/

I bought a couple of molds of ebay. Worl great . Use expandable urethane, kind of like great stuff only more dense . You can also use expandable polystyrene beads(styrofoam). Second the crab pot floats for sea ducks. bob

Foamers are becoming more and more common. Usually they are made with the pink or blue foam insulation sheets laminated together. They also introduced a category into decoy carving competitions due to their popularity. Too messy for me, I will stick to cork and tupalo.