Thread: Seward fishing??

Default Seward fishing??

Hey I'm going down to Seward Tomorrow until next Friday. I will be shore bound (no money for a charter ) but would still like to catch some fish. Recommendations? Want salmon, and would like to know a good area to try and catch sharks and halibut from shore. If anyone down there could tell me what they r catching right now.... Any help is appreciated thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by deheader View Post
    Hey I'm going down to Seward Tomorrow until next Friday. I will be shore bound (no money for a charter ) but would still like to catch some fish. Recommendations? Want salmon, and would like to know a good area to try and catch sharks and halibut from shore. If anyone down there could tell me what they r catching right now.... Any help is appreciated thanks!
    i've never heard of anyone catching sharks from shore.

Haha well my dad said they used to catch small dog sharks From shore. In som areas they r extremely common (homer!!!) but I'm wanting to catch some in Seward

Quote Originally Posted by deheader View Post
    Haha well my dad said they used to catch small dog sharks From shore. In som areas they r extremely common (homer!!!) but I'm wanting to catch some in Seward
    Actually I've fished Homer for about 40 or so days in the last couple of months and haven't caught a single dogfish. But now I've probably jinxed myself and that's all my clients will catch tomorrow! LOL! But seriously, I don't think you're going to have much of a chance catching either halibut or sharks from shore over in Seward. I would imagine it can be done if you persist at it, but it's not a common thing to do.

Now silvers are a different matter. If you read the earlier "Any silvers showing up yet in Seward?

" thread you'll get good info there.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Actually I've fished Homer for about 40 or so days in the last couple of months and haven't caught a single dogfish. But now I've probably jinxed myself and that's all my clients will catch tomorrow! LOL! But seriously, I don't think you're going to have much of a chance catching either halibut or sharks from shore over in Seward. I would imagine it can be done if you persist at it, but it's not a common thing to do.

Now silvers are a different matter. If you read the earlier "Any silvers showing up yet in Seward?

" thread you'll get good info there.
    kind of off topic but had a salmon shark take half of one of our halibuts right next to the boat a few weekends ago. pretty cool
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    kind of off topic but had a salmon shark take half of one of our halibuts right next to the boat a few weekends ago. pretty cool
    Years ago we hooked into a silver on a light action silver rod and a salmon shark grabbed the silver and started swimming away with it. My friend on my boat "fought" it for about 3 or 4 minutes, breaking my little spinning rod in half, before the line snapped and the shark disappeared in the depths.

And if you haven't seen this one yet check it out: http://muttleycrewfishing.com/web_me...lmon_shark.wmv. A salmon shark I watched follow my bait for a while, swam away and came back again a little later. Off of Pogi/4th of July a few years ago.

Don't listen to the naysayers and just give it a try.
    Caught 2 sandsharks aka spiny dogfish off of the Kenai beach a couple of weeks ago. The guy next to me caught a nice 20# Halibut and 2 sandsharks as well.
    I couldn't tell you where to go in Seward but it would definetly be possible to get a butt or a sandshark.
    People don't believe you can catch butts off the Kenai beach until they see it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Don't listen to the naysayers and just give it a try.
    Caught 2 sandsharks aka spiny dogfish off of the Kenai beach a couple of weeks ago. The guy next to me caught a nice 20# Halibut and 2 sandsharks as well.
    I couldn't tell you where to go in Seward but it would definetly be possible to get a butt or a sandshark.
    People don't believe you can catch butts off the Kenai beach until they see it happen.
    Not "naysaying" at all. It's a matter of whether or not it's worth doing. Especially when you can spend all that time trying to get fish that are actually there---namely silvers. Yeah, it might be "definetly" (whatever that word means) possible, but if you know nothing about where it is "definetly" possible to do it in Seward I'm not sure how you can say it is "definetly" possible to do.

I'd target silvers with rockfish in the back of my mind. Look at the topography of the area for likely spots.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

its still red season in seward right? if i were going to hit seward tomorrow id definately take a surf rod, post up by the cannery and fling some herring or salmon and 8oz lead as far as i could 2 hand it, take some spoons too. flyrod for the creek.

Not "naysaying" at all. It's a matter of whether or not it's worth doing. Especially when you can spend all that time trying to get fish that are actually there---namely silvers. Yeah, it might be "definetly" (whatever that word means) possible, but if you know nothing about where it is "definetly" possible to do it in Seward I'm not sure how you can say it is "definetly" possible to do.

I don't normally fish Seward and if I went I would certainly take one of my boats.
    I have talked to people who claimed they had caught Halibut off of the shore there. I don't remember where they said they were fishing though.
    I guess what I meant is a person can catch halibut from the shore and I am sure there are people who get some every summer in Seward. A lot of people are very suprised to learn that people catch Halibut off the beach on the Peninsula every summer.
    many people assume it is a tourist who has mistaken a flounder or sole for a Halibut. Until I or someone else they trust to be truthful and knows how to identify a fish verifies that they have done it or seen others do it.
    If the guy wants Halibut IMHO it would be worth trying. A few years ago it wasn't common in Kenai and now I see people catching them there on a regular basis. Now it isn't hot fishing like you get into from a boat but if you have time and patience you can catch them without spending $250 for a guided trip to the nearest chicken patch in the middle of the bay.
    Just my $.02
    Chris
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I have talked to people who claimed they had caught Halibut off of the shore there. I don't remember where they said they were fishing though.
    I guess what I meant is a person can catch halibut from the shore and I am sure there are people who get some every summer in Seward.
    You need to read what you are writing. And also not "guess what you mean". You say you "have talked to people that claimed they had caught halibut off of the shore there." I have talked to people that have claimed a LOT of things, but whether or not I believe them leaves a lot to interpretation. What I say is " a picture is worth a thousand words."

Then in your previous post you said, "I couldn't tell you where to go in Seward but it would definetly be possible to get a butt or a sandshark." How can you make such a positive assertion without any sort of evidence to back that up? Yeah, it might be possible, but when someone is asking for advice about a particular place to fish I personally prefer to give them information that I can back up with either personal experience, or from information I've received from a reliable source. But I'd never tell a person something can definitely (or definetly if you prefer) do something unless I knew without reservations it definitely can be done. If I think it MIGHT be possible I'll tell them that and explain why it is I think it might possible. Note the BIG difference between "definitely" and "might".

I've fished off of Lowell Point, the rock bank all along Lowell Point Rd. and over by the sawmill on the other side, and all points in between for about 20 years or so, from shore and from a boat, and I've NEVER caught a halibut OR a dogfish incidentally while trolling for kings or silvers. Would I say a person WON'T catch a halibut or dogfish in any of those areas? No. Would I recommend someone even try? No. Unless they have absolutely nothing better to do. IMHO if there are silvers to be had (which there seem to be right now) I'll be trying to catch them instead of some "maybe if you try hard enough and put in enough time" halibut.

And I hate to think you might be insinuating that I take a client's $250 and then bring them out to a chicken patch "in the middle of the bay" and then just bring them back in as soon as they've pulled 2 fish into the boat. I work VERY hard to get my clients the best fish I possibly can for them in the time allotted to getting those fish. I'm sure there are a few guides that do what you say (and the "cattle boats"), but I don't. Plain and simple. And if you get a guide that does that then you're not doing your "homework" finding the right guide. The closest spot I take clients to has typically produced numerous fish in the 30 to 70 lb. range and usually will get me a fast limit of decent sized fish if you work it hard enough. And I will not stop fishing until I am satisfied that my clients are satisfied with the fish they've gotten. Occasionally time or weather rears its ugly head and we eventually have to be satisfied with any decent looking fish, but I don't just settle for a quick chicken limit on a chicken patch and then head for home. We got these today before the wind started to get pretty cold and blew up some pretty nasty wind waves:
    7-14-12 butt.jpg
    Yeah, there's a little 12 pounder there, but the weather was starting to get nasty and my clients just wanted to get one more fish to fill out their limit. But the 4 bigger ones were all between 18 and 22 lbs. If you and 3 guys can go up and fish off the beach up there and in 4 hours or so do as well as that please post a picture of your fish because I'd love to see it.

You need to read what you are writing. And also not "guess what you mean". You say you "have talked to people that claimed they had caught halibut off of the shore there." I have talked to people that have claimed a LOT of things, but whether or not I believe them leaves a lot to interpretation. What I say is " a picture is worth a thousand words."

Then in your previous post you said, "I couldn't tell you where to go in Seward but it would definetly be possible to get a butt or a sandshark." How can you make such a positive assertion without any sort of evidence to back that up? Yeah, it might be possible, but when someone is asking for advice about a particular place to fish I personally prefer to give them information that I can back up with either personal experience, or from information I've received from a reliable source. But I'd never tell a person something can definitely (or definetly if you prefer) do something unless I knew without reservations it definitely can be done. If I think it MIGHT be possible I'll tell them that and explain why it is I think it might possible. Note the BIG difference between "definitely" and "might".

I've fished off of Lowell Point, the rock bank all along Lowell Point Rd. and over by the sawmill on the other side, and all points in between for about 20 years or so, from shore and from a boat, and I've NEVER caught a halibut OR a dogfish incidentally while trolling for kings or silvers. Would I say a person WON'T catch a halibut or dogfish in any of those areas? No. Would I recommend someone even try? No. Unless they have absolutely nothing better to do. IMHO if there are silvers to be had (which there seem to be right now) I'll be trying to catch them instead of some "maybe if you try hard enough and put in enough time" halibut.

And I hate to think you might be insinuating that I take a client's $250 and then bring them out to a chicken patch "in the middle of the bay" and then just bring them back in as soon as they've pulled 2 fish into the boat. I work VERY hard to get my clients the best fish I possibly can for them in the time allotted to getting those fish. I'm sure there are a few guides that do what you say (and the "cattle boats"), but I don't. Plain and simple. And if you get a guide that does that then you're not doing your "homework" finding the right guide. The closest spot I take clients to has typically produced numerous fish in the 30 to 70 lb. range and usually will get me a fast limit of decent sized fish if you work it hard enough. And I will not stop fishing until I am satisfied that my clients are satisfied with the fish they've gotten. Occasionally time or weather rears its ugly head and we eventually have to be satisfied with any decent looking fish, but I don't just settle for a quick chicken limit on a chicken patch and then head for home. We got these today before the wind started to get pretty cold and blew up some pretty nasty wind waves:
    7-14-12 butt.jpg
    Yeah, there's a little 12 pounder there, but the weather was starting to get nasty and my clients just wanted to get one more fish to fill out their limit. But the 4 bigger ones were all between 18 and 22 lbs. If you and 3 guys can go up and fish off the beach up there and in 4 hours or so do as well as that please post a picture of your fish because I'd love to see it.
    If you read my previous posts you will see how I said it is not hot fishing off of the beach anywhere.
    But it can and has been done without anykind of boat.
    The guy lacks a boat and wants a Halibut. There are other options then paying for a charter and surf fishing is one of them.
    1 or 2 Halibut off of the beach in a mans freezer beats no Halibut in a mans freezer. Especially if he can't afford a charter.
    last time I was on the Kenai beach a man went down and caught a Halibut at least as big as the biggest one in your picture there Dave. This was after only about 20 minutes of fishing. I didn't take a picture but he sure was happy.
    He spent about $6 on a package of herring and used a salmon pole he already owned. He probably spent a total of less than $15 for the same size fish you charge $250 to catch. I can see why you would dismiss beach fishing. It doesn't line your pockets.
    I used to work with a guy who grew up in Seward. He used to fish off the beach all the time as a kid. When he caught his first Halibut it was from shore. He rushed home with this fish to ask his mom what it was. She was so happy to have him bring home a 30# Halibut. He didn't realize what he had as he was used to seeing salmon and had not seen a flat fish before.
    I suppose his mom had or has a picture somewhere but I didn't think to ask him to prove it. Sounded believeable to me.
    The fact that I have not caught a fish off of the beach in Seward I guess it might be like you and the Brads cut plug baits Dave. Having never tried them you will still argue they can't possibly outfish your herring. You have never tried them yet you ruin any thread that mentions them because they "Can't beat the real thing" yet you can't prove it because you haven't/won't use them.
    I have fished the Halibut cove Lagoon in July and watched friends catch kings in there and reported on my actual knowledge of the matter. You have never even been in the Halibut cove lagoon at any time of year yet argued with me on catching kings in there in July.
    If I didn't own my own boats and already have a bunch of Halibut in my freezer I would go to Seward just to prove my point.
    Even with a picture though I suppose you would argue I had doctored it up somehow.
    How about you prove nobody has caught a Halibut off the Seward beach.
    It can and has been done Picture or not.
    I am tired of you ruining these threads with your arguing.
    I am done with this thread.

To Deheader if you are anywhere near the Kenai area this summer send me a PM and I will hook you up with a bunch of absolutley free good quality surf fishing weights I make myself via a bunch of molds I have. These are not available in any retail store locally and are designed primarily for surf fishing.
    I would also give you some good advice on surffishng the Kenai Peninsula. You do not need a charter or a boat to catch a Halibut!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Deheader-
    some fun beach snagging for chums is to be had RIGHT NOW at Spring Creek. A few are chromers to be had, but won't be in another day or so.

Haha thanks guys for the advice, I had a good time. I caught a bunch of sea run dollies, some pinks, some rockfish, and a couple sockeye. Also I hooked into a couple silvers but they kept getting tangled in kelp and getting off. It was a good time though! And so everyone knows, when I lived down in Coffman cove (on prince of whales island) we had a couple spots were yes, we caught halibut from shore, especially when the salmon were running. We'd fish a pink head underneath a balloon, and no joke I saw this one guy pull a 255 pound halibut out of there. It was a pretty steep drop off, but it was only about 30 feet deep 40 feet out. So yup, I was just hoping to find a place that I could have reasonabl luck catching smaller halibut from shore. Thanks guys!