Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First black bass

Default First black bass

My son and I caught these out of homer today. I'm sure their good with butter, what's your favorite recipe?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342217099.547316.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1342217114.513934.jpg

I lie coating em in Old Bay, pepper, garlic powder, salt, then throw em in a hot skillet wiht some olive oil. Basically blackened and then add to a wrap with lettuce, tomoato and some honey mustard dressing.

I'd sure like to get into some of those. I cooked some once on the grill with typical salmon seasonings and basted with butter it was great

Quote Originally Posted by TYBSP View Post
    My son and I caught these out of homer today. I'm sure their good with butter, what's your favorite recipe?
    My favorite thing to do with rockfish that size is to gut them, cut the gills out and then scale them but leave them whole like that. Then when you're ready to eat, get your grill fired up, cut 4 or 5 nice cuts into their skin on both sides, rub liberal amounts of salt, pepper and a seasoning like Old Bay or cajun into the slices with some fresh lime or lemon juice and then just grill them whole. The meat is absolutely delicious that way and just falls off the bones very nicely.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I like making a nice rockfish ceviche outta those guys. I'll let you look up a recipe as I can't remember the exact details and would hate to give out bad info.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Haven't heard of Old Bay but I'll find some. I fried em up with olive oil for no stickum. I used chipotle seasoning with additional garlic powder and lemon juice. We even dipped some in melted butter for a try. Along with pomegranate wine from bear creek and gol dang that was good.

Took me half a lifetime to figure out where and how and then get the time away from butt fishing with the wife to go get, but it's well worth it.

My favorite is to use honey whole wheat pancake batter with a liberal amount of seasoning salt, pepper and garlic salt. Use as a batter and pan fry. This is the best when on the water. SO GOOD.

We blacken with Cajun spice, or Panko fry the rockfish. Yum...

I like this recipe for whole fish. Talk about moist and fall of the bone!!!!
    http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...t-crusted-fish
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

pan fried, cajun breaded sandwiches with chipotle mayo... my all time fav use for rockfish
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Chunk the fish and mix bisquick, old bay, tony chachere's, and beer into a batter that's to your liking. Use the batter for a fish fry and make some Walla Walla sweet onion rings while you're at it. Rockfish bliss!

I cut them in medallions if its a big thick filet as I like to keep my peices 1/2 inch thick, dip in egg, roll in season flour (garlic salt, lemon pepper, pepper) and pan fry in a cast iron skillet with a half and half ratio of bacon grease and olive oil. Cook to a golden brown crust. Bacon grease gives it a great flavor.

Haven't found a recipe yet that we didn't like, even pickled. We actually prefer them to halibut, especially the smaller ones around a pound that give "single serving" fillets.

One thing to know about black rockfish and dusky rockfish- They're unique from other rockfish due to their relatively high oil content. If you don't protect them from oxidation or "freezer burn" they go rancid quick in the freezer- like less than 3 months. Vacuum seal them or whatever to keep the air away from them, and they'll be good a year later.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Vacuum seal them or whatever to keep the air away from them, and they'll be good a year later.
    Also, when you thaw out your fish, don't do the thaw on the counter or fridge. a few hours before you decide you want to cook your fish, cut the vacuum sealed pack, remove the fish, thaw in a bowl of cold water. When thawed, cut out any of the brown fat and enjoy. If you thaw in the package overnight or leave inthe fridge for a few days and the juices start to pull from the meat, chances are it will be a strong tasting fish.

We did our best to rid Kachemak Bay of its black rockies today. Anyone know where you can get Old Bay in bulk containers!?
    IMG_4266.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    ...or leave inthe fridge for a few days and the juices start to pull from the meat, chances are it will be a strong tasting fish.
    Egad. That's a great way to ruin any fish, isn't it!

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    We did our best to rid Kachemak Bay of its black rockies today. Anyone know where you can get Old Bay in bulk containers!?
    IMG_4266.jpg
    That last one on the right is a big sucker. Nice

That last one on the right is a big sucker. Nice
    Actually, that "big" one wasn't really that big. These were BIG black rockies from out near Elizabeth:
    IMG_4217.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Actually, that "big" one wasn't really that big. These were BIG black rockies from out near Elizabeth:
    IMG_4217.jpg
    Do them bigguns put up more fight than the kbay ones? The taste was awesome but the fight was weeaak!

Do them bigguns put up more fight than the kbay ones? The taste was awesome but the fight was weeaak!
    It's really all relative. Use a nice ultra light spinning outfit for the smaller ones and they put up a nice fight. We were using the same rods I fish salmon with and they fought, but there sure wasn't much to just cranking them up. Same thing with the bigguns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast