Thread: Equipment for Cordova Silvers?

Default Equipment for Cordova Silvers?

Well, after a great trip to the Nushagak for Kings, it's time to start planning for next year's trip, Cordova Silvers.

I've got a couple of 7' med action Ugly Sticks. Will those work? What pound line do I need? What about lures?

If I want to buy an inexpensive fly rod to bring up and try, what weight and length do you guys recommend?
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

My suggestion would be 12 to 15 pound test. Maybe someone else can recommend rod and reel.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Look into a TFO rod and get a lower end Lamson reel. You could probably put a combo together for $400-450 including line. I would go with either a 9' 8 or 9wt depending on what you might also use it for. 8wt is probably the better all around for silvers, reds and a little over gunned for trout.

Thanks for the info guys. Any feedback on the Orca Lodge?

I think that's where we'll be staying.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

Default Orca Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Any feedback on the Orca Lodge?

I think that's where we'll be staying.
    I stayed at the orca bay last year. It was great. We did not try any of the guide services thru
    the lodge, but the accomodations and the food were great. As a matter of fact I am going back
    this year.

Going to go to Cordova in September. I'll report back after the trip. I think your ugly sticks will work just fine. I'd run 17 to 20lb test and throw vibrax or similar hardware in chartruse or hot pink. I'll be trying different types of flies and will see what works best. I'm hoping the fishing is as good as I've heard it is...

Stop by Whiskey ridge trading and pick up some Kodiak G.I spinners,. They hold up MUCH better than the Vibrax spinners, and worked a bit better than the Vibrax spinners.. I've liked the Vibrax spinners in size 4 and 5 for silvers in green with the chrome blade..... Seems they worked the best, but the Kodiaks hold up waaaay longer and Tom at Whiskey Ridge had them cheaper than you could buy them online for.. Don't know if thats still the case.

ysr, put some braind on those rods and you'll be fine. 20lb. You don't need it that heavy, but the diameter is a little bigger and easier to tie.

The Orca is a nice place, and Steve and Gail will take good care of you. I did hear that there was a roof collapse on their property with this last season snow.. I don't think it was their lodging but I think they took a hit.

They are well outside of town as well if that matters to you....

Default Equipment for Cordova Silvers

Quote Originally Posted by miwai View Post
    My suggestion would be 12 to 15 pound test. Maybe someone else can recommend rod and reel.

As I not only fish for pleasure, but meat for the freezer, I tend to use 25# spider wire and a light rod of 6', along with the simple Mitchell 300 reel. I used to use a light pack rod made for Diawa, it was a 6 piece rod/reel with a case. It lasted 20 years, until a car door got it and the reel had hauled too many fat silvers that ver 18 - 23# out of the Eyak and the Ibeck Rivers. The line holds, the rod flexes nicely, and the reel does the job well. While spinners take their share, eggs are working best this year so far. I snell trebles with 50# leader so they are more abrasion proof from teeth. I hate to loose a good fish,...
    Fishing seems to be great again this year here. The Ibeck, if you get to it can be fished above and below the bridge. Right off the shore.
    Last edited by justjeff; 08-18-2012 at 12:23. Reason: needed to add a bit more as I left out information

Those rods will work fine. I've caught literally hundreds of silvers on my old Ugly Stik. Just got a new reel this year, the old one had seen a little too much saltwater and I hadn't properly taken care of it....out of sight, out of mind kind of thing with my fishing gear. It had a Penn spinning reel on it which I really liked, and will likely keep and rebuild. I replaced it with a Shimano Sedona 4000 reel which I've yet to try but will soon in Valdez. I put over 200 yards of 25lb (I think...might even be 30) powerpro high-vis braid on it so I can also use it for some light-action bottom fishing.

I'd also suggest the Kodiak Custom Tackle spinners. I have a variety of colors with and without skirts. The fish can be very color-finicky on with certain weather combos, so I like to have a variety. Purple and orange was the hot ticket one day in Valdez last year, then the next I couldn't buy a strike on that combo but green/chartreuse seemed to work.....mix it up if you aren't getting hits on one, don't stick with it and get frustrated.

Hey Coho Slayer, I have gone over to a red fishing line for the bottom fishing as the color red is the first color to vanish at 15-20' below the surface, it may help with the deeper fish. That is from also being an underwater photographer here in the sound as well as other places in the world. I am not sure what works in shallower waters though. My spiderwire is a very light green and that seems to work well in semi glacial and glacial. Don't they make a kind of clear braid now?
    I have also found that the green seems to work well on overcast days as well as late evening and early morning. Orange, pink and florescent red on bright days. Not sure how logical that is , but...It sounds like you have a good setup for the silvers though. I have considered the Shimano myself. nice looking reel. So when are you coming over to fish?

Wish I could afford to come over to Cordova to fish this year, too. I was there for a few weeks in June, but didn't have time to even try fishing. Anyway, this year I'm sticking with Valdez. Maybe next year instead we'll ferry over to Cordova from Whittier. Overall cost would probably work out about the same when you include all the gas and food for everyone on a drive from Anchorage. Not sure what a hotel/inn/whatever in Cordova runs, but if we don't sleep in the truck we're looking at $170/night or so for a hotel room. That adds up fast when you're trying to budget!

And thanks for the tip on red line...that actually makes perfect sense. Not sure how this line will do since I've never used this exact stuff. I've been using Daiwa Saltiga line for several years, but couldn't find it this year. It's a multi-color line so you can keep track of depth and it's great, strong, super castable line. I really like it. Still have the wife's Stik spooled with it.

My wife and I also have a reasonably priced bed and bath for around just over 1/2 of what you were looking at. It is actually a full apartment with laundry and cooking facilities. If I can get the 30' er finished with the re-power, we could have a wee bit of fun,....

Default Re: Equipment for Cordova Silvers?

We just bought some lures on-line to catch silver salmon in Cordova. They came with treble hooks only. Is that legal to use in Cordova? I remember buying lures in Alaska and they are packaged with a single big hook that you can reattach. So I'm wondering if certain areas prohibit treble hooks on lures.

Quote Originally Posted by miwai View Post
    We just bought some lures on-line to catch silver salmon in Cordova. They came with treble hooks only. Is that legal to use in Cordova? I remember buying lures in Alaska and they are packaged with a single big hook that you can reattach. So I'm wondering if certain areas prohibit treble hooks on lures.

I took a look at the regs to make sure, but I'm 99% sure you're fine with trebles. A lot of people simply prefer single hooks, so spinners like Vibrax give you both. Anyway, I couldn't find anything limiting hooks. As a cover-my-rear disclaimer, I always say check with Fish and Game or Fish and Wildlife if you have questions, because I could be wrong (but I'm pretty sure I'm not on this one).