Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invasive Species and Feral Animal Populations

Default Invasive Species and Feral Animal Populations

Invasive Species and Feral Animal Populations are becoming more prevalent in our state, so I thought why not start a discussion on the subject here on the forum. Maybe a list can be generated with information on locations where the various species were sighted.

I heard that a white crane was sighted just across the river (Kanektok) from our community last summer. Folks here thought that it may have been a Whooping Crane or other species from Asia or Siberia like the Red Crowned Crane, Siberian Crane or White Naped Crane. Additionally a few hunters said they spotted a Dall Sheep a few years ago, up in the Ahklun Mountains. Dall Sheep are not usually found in our area. And lastly a Green Sturgeon was caught by a fisherman near the mouth of the Kuskokwim River a few seasons ago. All unusual and unique sightings.

I like this thread. I have seen a Peacock crossing the Alaska Hwy, and there was an intrusive population of white and black bunnies at a friends house in Hatchers Pass untill they invited me over and gave me a brick of 22 amunition. You could sa I culled the herd! Just doing my part to keep the Snowshoe hare gene pool clear. I have heard of Feral hogs but have never seen them and if I do I have one word for ya BACON!

Forgot to add coyotes. Local hunters have killed a few over the years up in the Kilbuck and Ahklun Mountain Ranges.

First, the nasty farmed Atlantic salmon. Dandelion is another -- but I kind of like the little pretty flower.

UAF has a program -- http://www.uaf.edu/coop-ext/ipm/plants/index.html

Plants and animals -- www.ucsusa.org/assets/documents/invasive_species/Alaska_invasives_1.pdf

Also, US Forest Service -- http://akweeds.uaa.alaska.edu/

Here are some

Canada Thistle
    Bull Thistle
    Oxeye Daisy
    Spotted Knapweed
    Orange Hawkweed
    Yellow-flower Hawkweeds
    Narrowleaf Hawksbeard
    Hairy Catsear
    Perennial Sowthistle
    Common Tansy
    Tansy Ragwort
    Western Salsify
    Japanese Knotweed
    Garlic Mustard
    White/Yellow Sweetclover
    Bird Vetch
    Scotchbroom
    Common Toadflax
    Ornamental Jewelweed
    Brittlestem Hempnettle
    Reed Canarygrass
    Downy Brome, Cheatgrass
    Foxtail Barley
    Bluebur
    Species to Monitor
    Siberian Peashrub
    European Bird Cherry

I saw a Mountain Lion (cougar) in the Sawtooths in the interior in the late 90's. F&G told me I could be right, I told them theres no could be about it!

rockdoves and starlings come to mind
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I've head of a whitetail taken by someone in Sitka....weird...I know..

Fairbanks-

Pheasents- People raise them and a few escape.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=11627

Pigeons- Heres the story of how they got here.

I know an old time Alaskan here in downtown Fairbanks. We bought our house from him. There are pigeons all around downtown Fairbanks. The oldtimer feeds them seed year around in the street next to his house. One day I said "What are pigeons doing in interior Alaska?" He got a sheepish sort of guilty look on his face and said "Well... I'll tell ya". Turns out that back in the 40's (I think he said) him and a few of his buddies got some pigeons for the lower 48. They had a shooting club and were avid bird hunters. They would release a pigeon for live target practice and in his words "well, we missed a few..." He felt responsible for them so he started feeding them and has ever since.
    True story.

Montanan- Well, it got a little crowded in Montana so I came north.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    I saw a Mountain Lion (cougar) in the Sawtooths in the interior in the late 90's. F&G told me I could be right, I told them theres no could be about it!
    You mean Sawtooth Mtn up off the Elliot?

Yup Perry, I rode my wheeler down a trail about 100 yards behind this mountain lion and it allowed me to follow it for like 100 yards before it bailed off into the trees. My hunting buddy was from Colorado and me coming from new Mexico, we both knew what a mountain lion looks like. It was a trip.

Wow. I've been back there a few times. Fun wheelin and nice country. Seen lots of critters back there but never any cats. I've heard of guys seeing them down around Glenallen though.

Default Too much Wild Turkey

Cub are you sure you just didnt get bit by the 101? That was probably some poor old ladies house cat from manley.

I did see a bunch of bunnies all around Valdez, i thought that was kind of odd, probably some domestics that got loose a couple years ago...at least we don't have wild boars up here...or do we? because they will tear everything up, and they can adapt anywhere, however it would be good food for bears though.......K

Question Wild Hogs

I've heard there are hogs on Marmot Island off of Kodiak. But I've yet to find someone who has actually been there and seen them.

feral pigs are a plauge, lets hope to god that they don't establish populations up here
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Yup Perry, I rode my wheeler down a trail about 100 yards behind this mountain lion and it allowed me to follow it for like 100 yards before it bailed off into the trees. My hunting buddy was from Colorado and me coming from new Mexico, we both knew what a mountain lion looks like. It was a trip.
    Loved to have seen that, R.

Several cat sightings down near the Wrangels too. Quite a few critters work up past Tetlin into AK.

Mountain lions!!! this far north? ...so let me get this straight...if I see one ...No Can Shoot, because they are NOT listed in the fish and game regs, right? .........................K

The theory from F&G on the cat I saw was that it came from the Yukon and followed the Yukon river a little too far west hence me seeing it where I did, who knows, it was cool because I have yet to meet another Alaskan that has seen one since.

Default Changing Environment

Not sure where I saw the article, but a bunch of wildlife biologists figured that there would be a huntable Whitetail population in Alaska within 20 years. Due in part to environmental changes.

Dall sheep in SW Ak., lions in the interior, cranes, etc. would not be invasive or feral. Pigeons, as snyd told, would be. The plants listed by riverrat would also be.
    I've seen feral dogs living around one village dump on the YK delta. They were viscious animals. Very dangerous under certain circumstances. Competing with local foxes also living in the dump. I would clasify these as "invasive".
    Alaska's harsh climate makes it difficult for most domestic animals to become feral here. I suspect there are plenty of feral house cats in and near our urban/suburban areas. As our climate continues to warm, or if it continues, I suspect we will see larger populations of, and greater problems with, feral domestic species.
    It is up to us to assure that we are proper stewards of the domestics we own, and see to it they do not become a problem.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast