Thread: aluminum bottom hole fix on the river ?

Anchorage, Ak

Default aluminum bottom hole fix on the river ?

Hey guys, i was wondering what you guys do and what you use for a repair kit for your aluminum boats if you punch a hole through it on the river to get you home? I have a ribbed G3 1652. Appreciate it
    NRA life Member JVJ

Aluminum epoxy stick. Works really well. Patched 20 rivets so far, none have yet to re-open

A hammer (takes care of most of the problems with aluminum).
    Then epoxy stick, or a toilet wax ring, or 3M 5200. It is the leaking that is annoying.

Sobie2 (new this week SeaArk 1860 JT, used to have SeaArk 1652 MVJT for 10 years)

How to repair a hole in your boat.
    I posted this information in the early spring you may find the information useful before going out hunting.

When you hit a rock the rocks always win, if youíre lucky you will have very little damage if you do end up with a hole in your boat and need to repair the hole to get home what can you use? I did not think about what it would take to patch a hole in the field until a friend put a hole in there boat, I talked to difference boat shops and made a list of what a person needs.
    If you need a patch thin Aluminum like pop cans or Aluminum roofing can be cut with a scissors or knife. Putting the shield on the outside would be the best, for some reason itís not possible do what you can. Youíre not going any where until you stop the boat from leaking or slow it down so your bilge pumps can keep up. Run the boat on shore, cut trees to make a crib, and a pry bar to lift the boat, or dig a trench under the boat or work under water, do what ever you need to get home.

I made a list of items that are recommend a person could use to stop a leak, in no special order of importance of.

Z-Spar putty. Comes in various sized containers, is a 2 part putty, mixed (kneaded) in moist hands like dough to a uniform color. Can be applied to an active leak, smeared in place, likes it wet, works under water, can be applied submerged, it doesn't care and it works.
    z-spar putty ½ gal $60 the commercial fishing industry its called "Splash Zone".
    Tapered wooden plugs, something along the lines of these.
    A Nerf football will work. Here's a similar product.
    Henry's 208 wet patch,,
    GE Silicone II
    *Toilet ring wax this is what I carry and it very cheep.
    Tacky Tape (Camper Supply)
    Gorilla Duct Tape
    *Large washer
    *Self tapping screws, sheet metal screws, sheet rock screws, long screws/bolts.
    Fiberglass webbing or window screen
    *Pop cans or Alum roofing
    *3-ea road flares, signal other boat you need help
    * Item I carry

You may need some special tools like.
    Battery power drill and bits.
    Pop rivet and tools

Comment from follow members worth mentioning:
    STRABGEAK wrote:
    I carry 2 part plumbers epoxy and soda cans... Plumbers epoxy will harden underwater and for larger holes you can use parts of the cans along with it.

Iofthetaiga wrote:
    Good subject. Best not to overthink it tho. Pop cans, portable welders, jams, jellies, pastes, are all fine for fixing pin-hole leaks while in your driveway, on the trailer. Whether at sea or on a river, if you HIT a ROCK with your boat, you now have a HOLE in your hull. Think of this as an emergency medical situation for your boat (it is). Your boat has a gaping gash. This is no time for little plastic Band-Aids or glue. You want to apply direct pressure to the wound and stop the hemorrhaging....

Gather some scraps of half inch plywood. Cut squares of plywood about a foot or so square. Pair up these plywood squares and drill a hole for a 3/8 to 1/2 inch bolt (or two) in the center. Shove a bolt through the hole(s) with appropriate washers and nuts (wing nuts work great). Build a couple sets of these and stow them somewhere in you boat. If you have an emergency need to patch a hole in your hull, grab one or several of your ready made clamp patches, slap one board on the outside of your hull and the other on the inside of your hull. Spin the nuts down tight. You can further pack this patch with rags, t-shirts, underwear, whatever, as necessary... Head for safe harbor.

Whitehorse Yukon

Like McGyvers link below, the "sandwich" method works. Instead of the plywood, I use 1/4" UHMW squares (or rounds).
    Bolt hole in the middle. PLumbers putty or closet wax ring to seal it off. Good to go.
    A small home can be patched one way from inside using one piece if UHMW, then shoving a bolt through it and the hole with a butterfly nut on the end.
    One other must have, Tyvek or Typar tape. Sticks when duct tape won't.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Zspar is great if you have the time to do the prep etc. But most of my rock induced holes have been bandaided by putting a piece of tshirt into the crack, and then hammering it back together. Doesn't leak much and it will get you home. Once home, you can fix it the way you want, with proper tools and materials.