Thread: Sag river raft/hunt trip

Default Sag river raft/hunt trip

Hey I am hearing rumors that one can get dropped off on the hall road in atigan pass and raft down to meet up with the Sag river, which then eventually meets back up with the road at pump station 3. anybody know anything about the trip?

Quote Originally Posted by buckkunz View Post
    Hey I am hearing rumors that one can get dropped off on the hall road in atigan pass and raft down to meet up with the Sag river, which then eventually meets back up with the road at pump station 3. anybody know anything about the trip?
    Yes, I hear it is very dangerous class V water. Never tried it myself, but considered doing it years ago. Everyone I talked to who had done it said that they would never do it again. You are better off putting in on the Sag further down the road and floating down to get picked up at some point later downriver. There are some places that float away from the road for awhile. Once you get close to Deadhorse though the river really starts to braid so you have to be careful picking you channels.

A co- worker of mine did that, and capsized and almost lost his game. I suppose with the proper raft and lots of experience it can be done. You put in at the Atigun River where it runs under the highway just between Pump Station #4 and Galbraith Lake. It eventually flows in to the Sag River which then runs north till it meets the Haul Road further down. Portaging the rough spots is very difficult I'm told, as you have to climb high on the hillside to the south to get around the gorge.

That said, if you can make it to the Sag-Atigun confluence, that's supposed to be a real nice spot for caribou, and I think people get flown there a lot and float out to the road on their rafts. It would be a very quick hop from Galbraith Lake air strip.